Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap relief for trades?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Cap relief for trades? Reply with quote

Would it be possible to restructure the deals for Revis and Sanchez to make them tradable?
Basically make it so the cap hit for trading them is reduced dramatically from the combined $29 mil that it would cost to do so as of 2013, and then do what the Red Sox did this summer - basically tell a team "we'll give you Revis, but you have to also take Sanchez and maybe one or two of these other scrubs we're trying to offload"?

Is that a realistic scenario?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to trade Revis ... not worth any amount of cap relief
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
You sure about that? Revis is coming off a torn ACL and frankly, I think the CB play by Cromartie and Wilson has been good enough to make the possibility of giving him up for an extra 1st a worthwhile one to explore. The Jets have so many holes right now that they need to stockpile as many draft picks as possible. That's my take on it, anyway.

#RunTheEast
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
You sure about that? Revis is coming off a torn ACL and frankly, I think the CB play by Cromartie and Wilson has been good enough to make the possibility of giving him up for an extra 1st a worthwhile one to explore. The Jets have so many holes right now that they need to stockpile as many draft picks as possible. That's my take on it, anyway.

Sanchez is pretty cleanly off the cap after an extra year not worth trading to get rid of. Plenty of players come off ACL injuries just fine Revis also is a dedicated hard worker no reason he wont make a full recovery. Revis and Cro are a solid tandem Kyle Wilson not so much.

Lastly 1 extra 1st for Revis is theft absolutely criminal.

Revis is the best player on this team and I truly doubt we trade our best player for anything short off a massive war chest.

Jets need talent, not at the cost of existing talent in their prime.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

The value for Revis couldnt be lower coming off ACL surgery. If ANYTHING we should sell high on Cromartie. But this is also unlikely.

Not sure why you care, your a pats fan and we would never trade with you.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

The value for Revis couldnt be lower coming off ACL surgery. If ANYTHING we should sell high on Cromartie. But this is also unlikely.

Curtis Martin?

Just saying it could happen, not that the Pats would want Revis.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

Curtis Martin?

OBVIOUSLY lol, but the game and the rivalry has changed so much in the last 15 years. Theres not a chance in hell we make a deal with them.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

Wouldnt trade Revis for anything but min three 1st round picks and a player from their roster.

Example: The Rams two 1st rounders this year plus another next year and a player of our choosing. Robert Quinn maybe?!?

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenajets wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

Wouldnt trade Revis for anything but min three 1st round picks and a player from their roster.

Example: The Rams two 1st rounders this year plus another next year and a player of our choosing. Robert Quinn maybe?!?

Revis will not be traded because his value to the Jets far exceeds his value to other teams. The Rams know they are better off drafting a CB and grooming him (while saving 2 draft picks), then trading their future away for a player with a torn acl. Even if perfectly healthy no team would give the Jets the package they would want for a CB.
patman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure two 1st rd picks and Quinn for Revis, You do realize that Revis can walk next year and the new team will have to sign him to a 12-15 mill a year contract. And you think you can get that bounty for a guy that is involved in 12 plays a game.
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Sure two 1st rd picks and Quinn for Revis, You do realize that Revis can walk next year and the new team will have to sign him to a 12-15 mill a year contract. And you think you can get that bounty for a guy that is involved in 12 plays a game.

I'm sorry but that is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.... If you think Revis is only involved in 12 plays a game....I don't even know what to say.

His impact is there every time the ball is snapped; not only that, offensive coaches have to gameplan around him.

And two firsts-once Revis demonstrates his knee is good to go of course- is not unlikely.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
patman wrote:

I'm sorry but that is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.... If you think Revis is only involved in 12 plays a game....I don't even know what to say.

His impact is there every time the ball is snapped; not only that, offensive coaches have to gameplan around him.

And two firsts-once Revis demonstrates his knee is good to go of course- is not unlikely.

why are we talking about Revis.... hes going no where and not for a long time. Acl tears arent easy to come back from but many have came back and in fact came back stronger. Revis will be fine and he will be a jet for life. Now be done with this talk
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

Curtis Martin?

I'm just curious because the Jets' rebuilding process is gonna be one of the more interesting NFL storylines over the next couple of years. And even as a Pats fan, I think it hurts the team not to have any serious rivals within the division. When the Pats won their titles, all three times there was at least one other team in the AFC East finishing 10-6 or better. I don't think that was mere coincidence.

#RunTheEast
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Wilson has been underwhelming so it's not as if Revis is just dispensable. He's lucked out a lot with poorly thrown balls.

The whole situation does scare me because Revis' contract is essentially nothing for this year. He does have a clause in which he cannot holdout but I'm not sure that means he'll just automatically be a Jet. He's one guy I do not want to see lost in a rebuilding process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
xenajets wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

Revis will not be traded because his value to the Jets far exceeds his value to other teams. The Rams know they are better off drafting a CB and grooming him (while saving 2 draft picks), then trading their future away for a player with a torn acl. Even if perfectly healthy no team would give the Jets the package they would want for a CB.

If you read what i said correctly it was pure hypothetical, trading Revis would be stupid even before the acl injury. And as the Rams have Finnigan, Jenkins and alot of high picks i doubt they would trade but thats the sort of deal I would start to listen to anything less than that is not even close to being acceptable.

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: