Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Something different mock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Something different mock. Reply with quote

I want to start by stating that I would like to keep our staff intact except for special teams and a few positional coaches. This mock explores a possibility of a new staff.

Head Coach: Ray Horton
Ray Horton is one of the up and coming coaches. He is respected by his players and has a keen defensive mind.

Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner
Turner is a well regarded offensive mind. He would be given a good deal autonomy and his experience would be valuable to a new head coach

QB Coach: Jim Zorn
Zorn is considered one of the better QB coaches in the league. Turner will need someone to help develop Stafford.

Defensive Coordinator: Ed Donatell
Donatell has a ton of NFL experience. He is currently the secondary coach of the 49ers but he has called defenses in the past.

ILB/Asst HC: Gary Gibbs
Gibbs is another experienced coach. He can help develop our linebackers and provide leadership.

Special teams coach: Bobby April
April is one of the best in the business.

Retire/Cut:
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Jeff Backus
Dominic Raiola
Stephen Peterman
Nate Burleson

Resign:
Sammie Hill
Kris Durham
Kassim Osgood
Joique Bell
Don Carey
Ashlee Palmer
Heller

Tag:
Willie Young: 2nd Round Tender
Jason Fox: Original Round Tender

Extend:
Matthew Stafford

Trade Titus Young and Willie Young to the Miami Dolphins for two 2013 7th round picks and a 2013 condition 4th.

Free Agency
OT Phil Loadholt-Gosder walks and we need someone who can run block...stealing from the Vikings is a bonus.

OG Geoff Schwartz-Similar to Loadholt and they will have some chemistry.

WR Danario Alexander-Talented WR familiar with Turner...injury risk makes it more likely we sign him.

CB AJ Jefferson-Former starter under Horton. Vikings have young depth so he hits the market.

CB Greg Toler-Toler is offered a starting position and follows Horton.

S Kerry Rhodes-Follows Horton and provides leadership

S Rashad Johnson-Another layer like Toler. Leaves to follow Horton and expanded role.

LB Phillip Wheeler-Wheeler is a streaky player but could probably do a good job as an OLB in a 3-4 defense.

LB Rey Maualuga-He was always a better fit for a 3-4 and has a chance to prove it.

Draft:
1. OLB Damontre Moore
2. OC Barrett Jones
3. S Bacarri Rambo
5. DE Devin Taylor
6. OL Graham Pocic
7. FB Zach Boren
7. K Caleb Sturgis
7. P Ryan Allen

UDFA
DT William Campbell

Depth Chart
QB-Stafford, Hill
RB-Leshoure, Bell, Best
FB-Boren
TE-Pettigrew, Scheftler, Heller
WR-CJ, Broyles, Durham, Edwards
WR-Alexander, Thomas, Osgood
LT-Reiff, Fox
LG-Sims
OC-Jones, Pocic
RG-Schwartz, Austin
RT-Loadholt

RE-Fairley
NT-Hill, Campbell
LE-Suh, Taylor
ROLB-Moore, Whitehead
ILB-Maualuga, Lewis
ILB-Tulloch, Palmer
LOLB-Wheeler, Lewis
CB-Jefferson, Green, Greenwood
S-Johnson, Carey, Wendling
S-Rhodes, Rambo
CB-Toler, Bentley

K Caleb Sturgis
P Ryan Allen
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the coaching changes the only comments I have are as follows.

1. I would have no issue with Norv Turner. He has an offensive mind.

2. I would love the addition of Jim Zorn as. QB coach. He and Kent Austin are my two favourite possible QB coaches and Austin just signed as GM and Head Coach with the Hamilton Tiger Cats. I think the Lions should look at hiring a coach whose singular focus is Matt Staffords development. Stafford is the teams most important player and they need to do whatever is required to provide for his development. He has the physical ability but needs help with reads and mental aspects of the game. I don't think it could possibly hurt to provide him a QB coach.

Players.

I am a huge Sooners fan but honestly the two most over rated players to ever come out of the program were Duke Robinson and Phil (Leadfoot Loadholt). I hope the Lions never touch either one of them. It's my opinion that Gosder is a superior player. Loadholt has numerous issues and frankly I would be quite disappointed if they added him to the roster.

Danario Alexander would be a fabulous addition and well worth the salary it would take to sign him. He will come cheap and it would be impossible to find his level of talent at that price. Yes, he is an injury waiting to happen but for the time he's healthy he's a tremendous vertical threat with size. His abilities have always amazed me and in my opinion has more talent than any Big 12 receiver drafted in the last ten years. People forget he was ahead of Maclin at Mizzou until injuries derailed his college career. The main argument is going to be his injury history but at a reasonable price it's a terrific move.

I like the Rhodes signing. I'm not certain about Maualuga although I do agree he's better suited for a 3-4 I'm just not a fan of the change.

I think the draft is excellent!

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore would be good in a 3-4, as well as Maualuga.

Solid mock
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orignal premise of the mock was that I was going to switch to a 3-4, draft Star, trade up for Ogletree and sign those same secondary players...Rey was kind of a default filler when switching it.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
The orignal premise of the mock was that I was going to switch to a 3-4, draft Star, trade up for Ogletree and sign those same secondary players...Rey was kind of a default filler when switching it.

What changed your mind about Star and Ogletree?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
1King

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ray Horton is one of the up and coming coaches.

At 52 years old?

Don't really like it, aside from a couple players.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

What changed your mind about Star and Ogletree?

Well, I thought about price of Avril and I also wanted Jones as OC. In hindsight I suppose I should have stuck with that and gambled on Nagy. The Idea of a front 7 of Star, Fairley, Suh, Avril (who I think would take a huge step forward as a OLB in a 3-4), Tulloch, and Ogletree is scary.
EvilChuckNorris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you'd kill the value of Suh stickin him in a 3-4. If you were dead set on a 3-4 , i'd want to trade Suh and his contract away. Only problem is that with his recent "troubles" (used rather loosely) I highly doubt you'd get fair value.
number66

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rey in a Lions jersey would make me a happy panda...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: