Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions (4-7) vs Colts (7-4) Gameday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's gonna win?
Lions
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Colts
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree one of the major problems with this team has been the drafting and continued drafting of WR's. I throw Pettigrew in there because he has always been used as a pass-first TE along the lines of Vernon Davis (sans the receiving talent). Heck you could throw in Best as well because he was such an integral part of the receiving game.

I think the front office recognizes what it needs to win but they have just failed miserably when it comes to scouting and drafting WR talent. If you take at least 2-3 of those WR picks out and replace them with a DB, end, or OL and this team would be alot more complete and rounded. Throw in the Mike Thomas trade and here we are today. Burleson's insane contract was the only real production they got from all of their work but that was paying top dollar. We keep firing blanks on all of these receivers and we are going to get nowhere...
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:
I agree one of the major problems with this team has been the drafting and continued drafting of WR's. I throw Pettigrew in there because he has always been used as a pass-first TE along the lines of Vernon Davis (sans the receiving talent). Heck you could throw in Best as well because he was such an integral part of the receiving game.

I think the front office recognizes what it needs to win but they have just failed miserably when it comes to scouting and drafting WR talent. If you take at least 2-3 of those WR picks out and replace them with a DB, end, or OL and this team would be alot more complete and rounded. Throw in the Mike Thomas trade and here we are today. Burleson's insane contract was the only real production they got from all of their work but that was paying top dollar. We keep firing blanks on all of these receivers and we are going to get nowhere...
Ah, that's just dumb luck.
tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumb luck IS a form of luck....so we aren't that bad off actually
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you guys even watch football? We finally half a team that doesn't suck straight [inappropriate/removed] and you want to blow it up. You guys really want to go back to the whining and crying of the early 2000's don't you? Does 0-16 sound fun to you guys?

Seriously, you guys act like the blame is 100% on coaches. The run call was good, the blocking was bad. We nearly had the 1st and if our line could do their freakibg job maybe we could win a game. Seriously, do you think the defense was expecting a pitch? I sure as hell wouldn't have. When was the last time this team ran 2 toss plays in the same series? That's right, you can't remember. The defense was going to look for 3 things: pass to Calvin, run straight or draw. We did none. We were close. That wasn't a "vanilla" play call, it was smart and strategic. The fact is, if the offense executed the play call, we'd have won. If the defense could tackle a freaking quarterback, we'd have won. If our defense remembered how to tackle anybody we'd have won. If half of our starters weren't out to injuries we'd have won. But, instead, let's cry about one play, where the players failed to do their job that had an impact on the game and blame the coaches for the failures of the players.

Rex Ryan here we come! Rolling Eyes
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
38andy38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it ironic that the emphasis for the past few years has been on finding Calvin other WRs to take some of the attention and meanwhile they finally have a legit (but not outstanding)running game with LeShoure and Bell and Calvin is going to possibly have one of the greatest seasons a WR has ever had. He should easily eclipse Rice's mark for yards in a season with scrubs and TEs lining up around him.

I wanted to believe that this coaching staff could take this team a long way into the playoffs but TBH my curiosity has been peaked in terms of what some of these other coaches could do with the talent on this roster. 1 legit NFL calibre CB and Safety and some O line help in the middle and I believe there are other coaches that could take this team to the promised land. I now don't think Schwartz and Co. have that ability no matter what talent is added to the roster.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:

Like it or not they really had to go that way. Their 2 best players are a WR and a Qb. They have to surround them with good players. BUT their instance on using only top picks for those players is a problem.

Two running backs I pointed to late in the draft process the last couple of years were Joique Bell (who we were lucky to get) and Jonathan Dwyer. That combo would have cost alot less than first and second round pics on Rb's. I would rather see them draft one in the low rounds every year and add to competition than keep swinging for the fences. It has proven a much more reliable strategy over the last decade or so.

Once they realized they had a problem with Young (whose personal issues they should have investigated better) they had to take Broyles. Burlson is almost done and Young has proven that he is unreliable. It would have left them with nothing at the position next to Calvin for next year. I hated the pick at the time but I think they may have figured out Young was a problem and had to safeguard against him.

With their cap they are going to have to rely on Bentley or Greenwood as a starting Cb next year. Doing that may let them sign Houston.

The De's are going to be really overhauled and at least one of those starting LB's is going to have to be gone for cap reasons. Which means Lewis or another young guy will have to step up.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
yet if you criticise the playerrs, he defends them as well. According to TLwe have a perfect team. Well TL, take yourr Pettigrew and shove it up your rear Laughing

Uh, yeah, I attack all unreasonable criticism equally. If you call Gosder the "worst starting RT in the NFL", or claim that Raiola "doesn't belong on the football field", I'll argue against those points. If you look past execution, and blame coaches, I'll argue against that as well.

I don't hate Pettigrew because I refuse to hold his draft spot against him. I don't hate Levy because I can empathize with the difficulty of changing positions in back-to-back (to-back) seasons. I wont hate Raiola because the DTs entering the league are becoming bigger, stronger and faster... the results are seen across the NFL. I wont blame Mayhew for the secondary because of the number of injuries and circumstances. I wont blame Schwartz for Hanson missing a game-winning 48 yard FG.

And I wont hold the roster Schwartz inherited against him.

But that's me being ridiculous. And that's fine: it makes getting away from this place that much more enjoyable.

Team Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
yet if you criticise the playerrs, he defends them as well. According to TLwe have a perfect team. Well TL, take yourr Pettigrew and shove it up your rear Laughing

Uh, yeah, I attack all unreasonable criticism equally. If you call Gosder the "worst starting RT in the NFL", or claim that Raiola "doesn't belong on the football field", I'll argue against those points. If you look past execution, and blame coaches, I'll argue against that as well.

I don't hate Pettigrew because I refuse to hold his draft spot against him. I don't hate Levy because I can empathize with the difficulty of changing positions in back-to-back (to-back) seasons. I wont hate Raiola because the DTs entering the league are becoming bigger, stronger and faster... the results are seen across the NFL. I wont blame Mayhew for the secondary because of the number of injuries and circumstances. I wont blame Schwartz for Hanson missing a game-winning 48 yard FG.

But that's me being ridiculous. And that's fine: it makes getting away from this place that much more enjoyable.
Applause
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pittsburgh beat Baltimore with freaking CHARLIE BATCH

OMFG!?! I HATE THE DETROIT LIONS!
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

And therein lies your problem. If there is criticism you consider it unreasonable. You NEVER hold anyone accountable for their actions. I wish you would have been the judge when I got sent to prison, because I am certain it would not have been my fault.

I hate Pettigrew because he is not very good. You can make up any excuse you would like past that.

You won't blame anyone for anything ever. So your entire opinion seems ludicrous when that is brought to light.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as of now we're picking 8th so that probably means we have a good shot at top end DE or CB since those appear to be BPA as of now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Well as of now we're picking 8th so that probably means we have a good shot at top end DE or CB since those appear to be BPA as of now.
Don't like the DE's this year. Most are pretty under-sized, and there aren't any lockdown CB's either.

Life of a Lions fan SUCKS
ManeLine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Don't like the DE's this year. Most are pretty under-sized, and there aren't any lockdown CB's either.

Good year to trade down and take an offensive lineman like Barrett Jones unless you can get someone like Joeckel. (doubtful)

I still like Werner though but you're right about the corners. Even Milliner doesn't impress me much.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Good year to trade down and take an offensive lineman like Barrett Jones unless you can get someone like Joeckel. (doubtful)

I still like Werner though but you're right about the corners. Even Milliner doesn't impress me much.
Decent college player, but honestly I don't see the potential in him to become a top NFL DE. Where we're gonna be drafting, that turns me off on him. I'd like him as a late 1st round pick, but with our selection I'd like a difference maker.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

And therein lies your problem. If there is criticism you consider it unreasonable. You NEVER hold anyone accountable for their actions. I wish you would have been the judge when I got sent to prison, because I am certain it would not have been my fault.

I hate Pettigrew because he is not very good. You can make up any excuse you would like past that.

You won't blame anyone for anything ever. So your entire opinion seems ludicrous when that is brought to light.

Completely and utterly false, but that's fine. You have always had to rely on exaggerations to prove points instead of forming arguments based on perspectives that actually exist. (Considering I'm holding Hanson, and not Schwartz, accountable for missing the 48 yard FG in this thread, I'd say that proves how wrong you are.)

Pettigrew is a decent football player. He's pretty good, but makes mistakes. He deserves to be starting, and he's still relatively young. That player is worth a draft pick. That is my perspective, and hasn't changed.

I have always held players accountable, just in a reasonable way. I always said Gosder was "decent, with upside". That statement in itself implies that he has flaws, and I've acknowledged what they are. Raiola is a "decent" center: I've admitted that he gets beaten by big DTs, but so do many of the centers in the NFL.

Stafford makes mistakes. Calvin drops passes. Blah blah blah. I have never said that anyone on this team is perfect... just that I wont be unreasonable in my criticism, and will argue against what I perceive to be unreasonable criticism.

Be glad I wasn't your judge.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: