Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions (4-7) vs Colts (7-4) Gameday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's gonna win?
Lions
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Colts
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Moparguy wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Moparguy wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Man, some of you guys are crazy. If we pick up the first with a run, you'd say "oh great call! Way to do the smart thing and not make a dumb gamble!" if we pass and don't pick it up you'd say "WHY RISK THAT?!?!? Now they have MORE time to win!!!! Why do you have SO MUCH FAAAAAITH in the secondary!!?!?"

I mean, why shouldn't the staff trust our offense to get a first? And, if we hadn't passed to Calvin we could have ran out more clock, but that's too conservative.

Seriously, you guys act like our starting lineup got trashed by the Jaguars or something.

Yea what is scary is that it looks like the coaching staff has more trust in the defense to hold a lead than the offense to get a first down
It looked to me that they trusted Leshoure to run forward and for the OL to block someone. That's on them for not executing. Again, you guys are just trying to find a way to blame Schwartz.
You've gotta know your team. Our run game is hit or miss. We don't run block well consistently, and our OL got dominated on that drive.
Well, basing it off of play around that time, Stafford couldn't throw, Calvin & Thomas couldn't catch and Broyles & Scheffler were out of the game. Oh and Mathis was doing well getting to
Stafford too. I'd rather rely on an inconsistent line and a powerful back than rely on that (based on a what have you done for me lately basis).

Well history has shown you many times this year. You would be wrong. You do know the definition of insanity right?

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
What would I be wrong about?

And, I don't really think that definition applies to football. I'd say you'd be insane if you tried the same thing over and over expecting the same results.

The part you are wrong about is the counting on the running game. It sucks, like really sucks. Bell has made it look good the last few games by breaking long runs. But heck they didnt even use Bell. On top of that the utter transparency of their play calling in that situation just adds to the problem

That is 2 straight games that this same idiotic maneuver has cost them late in the game. The only change from last week I could see was changing the sweep from the right side to the left. So at least there is that
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secondary sucks, so blame Mayhew, ignoring the fact that there have been a slew of injuries, and one player who entered the season as a starter is no longer on the team.

Mayhew's drafting is terrible! Too many WRs! Well, wait, I mean, we need some WRs right now, because injuries happen, but we HAD too many WRs, and that's Mayhew's fault! And it's also his fault that we didn't have MORE WRs right now... you know, to compensate for the likelihood of injuries in the NFL. We needed both fewer and more WRs, and I blame Mayhew for that.

Fire Schwartz. Fire Linehan. Fire Cunningham. That way, we can bring in a new (mistake-free) HC, with a new scheme, new required personnel, and a new way of thinking. He probably wont need most of the pieces we have right now, but who cares? We're only competitive with every team right now, and on the verge of winning every game... I'd much rather start a relearning phase. (Of course, he gets three years to assemble "his guys" to fit his scheme. But, hey, it's completely worth it.)

*Hand goes up in the back of the room.*

"Uh... couldn't this just be execution, which falls on the players?"

Team Stylish

Last edited by TL-TwoWinsAway on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your team is close to putting it together. I don't mean that in terms of this season, but the franchise moving forward has the pieces to be a Super Bowl contender. An absolutely nasty front seven is the way to do it in this league. You just need a bit more balance in your secondary.

A shored up secondary with a playmaker on the back end will pay dividends. Obviously a RB will help alleviate some pressure of Stafford, but either way, you're really close.

This draft will be critical going forward for you. I just don't hope you add that right piece Wink
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Your team is close to putting it together. I don't mean that in terms of this season, but the franchise moving forward has the pieces to be a Super Bowl contender. An absolutely nasty front seven is the way to do it in this league. You just need a bit more balance in your secondary.

A shored up secondary with a playmaker on the back end will pay dividends. Obviously a RB will help alleviate some pressure of Stafford, but either way, you're really close.

This draft will be critical going forward for you. I just don't hope you add that right piece Wink

LeShoure has proven he is the RB.

Agree about secondary. Two LBs expiring contracts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Fire Scwarrz. Hire Rex ryan, assuming Rex is fired.

NO. NO. NO. Ryan can keep his circus. It's the last thing Detroit needs.
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
The secondary sucks, so blame Mayhew, ignoring the fact that there have been a slew of injuries, and one player who entered the season as a starter is no longer on the team.

Mayhew's drafting is terrible! Too many WRs! Well, wait, I mean, we need some WRs right now, because injuries happen, but we HAD too many WRs, and that's Mayhew's fault! And it's also his fault that we didn't have MORE WRs right now... you know, to compensate for the likelihood of injuries in the NFL. We needed both fewer and more WRs, and I blame Mayhew for that.

Fire Schwartz. Fire Linehan. Fire Cunningham. That way, we can bring in a new (mistake-free) HC, with a new scheme, new required personnel, and a new way of thinking. He probably wont need most of the pieces we have right now, but who cares? We're only competitive with every team right now, and on the verge of winning every game... I'd much rather start a relearning phase. (Of course, he gets three years to assemble "his guys" to fit his scheme. But, hey, it's completely worth it.)

WR pick was fine, Burleson is going to have to be replaced soon anyways. That being said, your point holds no water because you are speaking from hindsight. People didn't like the Broyles pick at the time of the pick already.

Furthermore, lack of execution or just lack of talent? Who says a better DB doesn't hold onto one of those interceptions by Luck to close the game? We can still blame Mayhew because he refuses to try and add true DB talent like he has for the offensive side of the ball.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

You're right. Everything is out of the Lions control. There's nothing they could've done to rise above having another crappy season. It's just all bad luck. It's always just bad luck. Let's just be happy we have a football team. Never mind that they suck every year.

Great job Mayhew
Great job Schwartz
Great job Linehan
Great job Gunther

Applause
Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Fire Schwartz. Fire Linehan. Fire Cunningham. That way, we can bring in a new (mistake-free) HC, with a new scheme, new required personnel, and a new way of thinking. He probably wont need most of the pieces we have right now, but who cares? We're only competitive with every team right now, and on the verge of winning every game... I'd much rather start a relearning phase.

Yea its all on the player..the coaches dont share any of the blame...sigh

Really this is how you think? Look I have rarely criticizedI the coaching staff over the years. I usually am hard on the players for their execution...

BUT The Lions have very clear strengths and weaknesses. And yet when crunch time comes the coaches expect their weaknesses (running game and secondary) to bail them out. If this had just been a one game deal I would simply say it was a bad call on the coaches part and let t be done.

But this has been a season long problem with them. Look ideally if they had the right personnel they are making the correct call. But they dont. They have Calvin Johnson not Adrien Peterson. Their running game is terrible AND predictable. Their passing game can be predictable but that is where their talent is. They keep counting on a good pass blocking 0-line to sudden change into a good run blocking line(they wont). They take out their more successful back late in game and put in the one that generally has less success. And they completely take the ball out of the hands of the two best players they have on offense.

PLus they run the same 2-3 running plays in that situation eveytime. No attempt at deceiving the D. No attempt as using the TE as a defacto runner (which I point out was very successful last year). Its a run up the middle and then a toss sweep. Both for little to no yards.

Simply put my problem with the coaches is that they HAVENT LEARNED FROM THEIR PAST MISTAKES. Wishing you had players who were better at x or y is one thing. But having players that flat out suck at x or y and they insisting on running those plays is a problem.

The coaches simply lack any creativity or adaptability in not only play calling but in the over philosophy to the game. They cant seem to adapt to what players they actually have. And call plays based on players they wish they had, not what they have
Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

You're right. Everything is out of the Lions control. There's nothing they could've done to rise above having another crappy season. It's just all bad luck. It's always just bad luck. Let's just be happy we have a football team. Never mind that they suck every year.

Great job Mayhew
Great job Schwartz
Great job Linehan
Great job Gunther

Applause

+ oh what the heck 100
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet if you criticise the playerrs, he defends them as well. According to TLwe have a perfect team. Well TL, take yourr Pettigrew and shove it up your rear Laughing
Moparguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
yet if you criticise the playerrs, he defends them as well. According to TLwe have a perfect team. Well TL, take yourr Pettigrew and shove it up your rear Laughing

Yea it seems in game day threads over the last couple of years it is his posts I feel the need to take apart.
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Great job Mayhew
Great job Schwartz
Great job Linehan
Great job Gunther

Applause

+ oh what the heck 100

+1
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as everyone has bashed on Schwartz, Linehan, and Cunningham all year, my biggest gripe with them is their stubbornness when it comes to making starting lineup changes.

KVB shouldn't be getting 15% of the snaps he is getting now.

Someone on the roster should be able to return kicks better than Logan.

Green has played better than Lacey and Florence, he should be getting more snaps unless he has an unknown injury.

Reiff is one of our top 5 offensive linemen, he should be on the field more than just in special packages.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green was sick all week so he was inactive otherwise I'm sure we'd of seen him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Green was sick all week so he was inactive otherwise I'm sure we'd of seen him.

Ah gotcha, sucks to hear that but thanks for filling me in. Hopefully he is back soon.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: