Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tyrann Mathieu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Tyrann Mathieu Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone has their opinions on him. Would you spend a pick on him if you're the Ravens?
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. He made all these public statements about how he was clean and then went and got busted again. You can't trust him.

Plus I think you have a guy who you can play in the nickel and let him be around the ball, return kicks. But I don't think he covers well and isn't a very good tackler.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spend the 7th round pick on him.

He reminds me of Vontaze Burfict...look how that turned out for the Bengals.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in a heartbeat. First and foremost, he "plays like a Raven." Secondly, he's the perfect slot corner back in our scheme, he plays a lot like Lardarius Webb. Though he may lack the speed to be a pure corner, I think he could transition well to FS. He's a play maker and the ball always seems to end up in his hands. Plenty of NFL players smoke marijuana and have had success in the league, I'm not at all concerned with his usage.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

Agreed. Burfict was another one I would have gone after.

Mathieu is someone I'd spend a late round pick on easily. I agree with DTMB on the fact that I don't think he's an outstanding cover guy and he may be an inconsistent tackler. But he's a playmaker for sure, and I love the thought of putting him out there in the nickel and letting him rush the passer.

Also, only two defensive players in the last 15 years have finished in the top 5 for the Heisman voting. They were Charles Woodson and Ndamokong Suh. Is Mathieu as big time as those guys? No. But it is a fact that opened my eyes. And the difference with Mathieu is that he won't cost a top 5 pick. He probably won't even cost a pick in the top 5 rounds. I'd go for him if it's a 6th or 7th honestly. I felt the same way about Mike Williams from Syracuse when he went in the 4th and Burfict as a late pick last year.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

Burfict had a bad attitude and poor work ethic concerns... He was never busted for drugs nor has he been rumored to potentially be involved in a drug ring as a King Pin. Tyrann is the definition of a thug. You don't gamble on players like him... They're much too far gone. That and since he didnt transfer down a level and play but instead went to a clinic to get over his drug habit... He successfully sat out a year to do nothing of any value. He basically said, screw college ball... I'm gonna do what I want, when I want. This guy is a grade "A" world class turd.

And with regard to Burfict- he has indeed played well this season... But the test is how he looks three years down the road after the sting of going undrafted isn't there to fuel him anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and for me it's as simple as that.

If he's there in the later rounds, though, such as 6-8 I might consider him, but that's it.

I don't trust players who are rumored to be drug lords, have lied multiple times and been kicked out of school for it.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Buuuuut, the drug lord thing did work out pretty fantastically with Jamal Lewis.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late 6th.

The chances of a pick that late working out are so slim that its worth the risk if he's still there IMO. The Ravens have such a strong organisation that I'd be willing to bet that Mathieu's issues wouldn't rub off on our other players.

Yes he is stupid, and yes he has problems with drugs but that hasn't stopped a number of other players in the league. Whether those things stop him from being successful (besides his actual football ability) in the league will come down to the sort of support he gets from whatever team signs him, whether he finally gets it that this is his livelihood on the line and whether he changes social groups.

Who knows maybe Jimmy Smith (who seemingly went through similar sorts of issues in HS/early in college) would be of some help in maturing him.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I didn't really like him all that much as a prospect before the off-field issues started coming out and CB is the least of Baltimore's worries on defense.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
A late 6th.

The chances of a pick that late working out are so slim that its worth the risk if he's still there IMO. The Ravens have such a strong organisation that I'd be willing to bet that Mathieu's issues wouldn't rub off on our other players.

Yes he is stupid, and yes he has problems with drugs but that hasn't stopped a number of other players in the league. Whether those things stop him from being successful (besides his actual football ability) in the league will come down to the sort of support he gets from whatever team signs him, whether he finally gets it that this is his livelihood on the line and whether he changes social groups.

Who knows maybe Jimmy Smith (who seemingly went through similar sorts of issues in HS/early in college) would be of some help in maturing him.

OR his poison rubs off on a guy like Smith and in turn both of our picks becomes busts. We're not in desperate need for corner help- we have some young guys with talent that are looking to develop. I see no reason why we should take a gamble on a player like this.

If anything, if we're going to gamble on a talent, it should be on someone that plays in the front 7 and gets after the QB at a high level/ has the potential to.

And I think a strong point that you haven't necessarily considered was that Jimmy Smith did indeed get over his past issues. He hasn't gone the way of Tyrann and fully embraced them (I mean when you start talking King Pin activity, you're talking franchise impacting character concerns). There's a difference from looking to rescue someone on the edge of a cliff and bungee jumping off the cliff to save a lost soul.

A 6th might now sound like much, but there have been some great players to go in the 6th and we have a nice track record getting guys late. That and the fact that any issues with Tyrann could result in some sort of league punishment if his actions are deemed to be too detrimental to the league.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Pin? Have I missed something?

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent movie.
Integrity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to "Munson" ourselves out of a draft pick. I'd stay clear of Tyrann Mathieu unless he was as an UDFA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the 5th round, why the heck not? You rarely get starting caliber players at that point anyways.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: