Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Devin McCourty's Positional Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A step slower Reed is still probably faster than Rodney Harrison was at any point in his tenure here. Durability could be an issue, but he hasn't missed a game since 2010 so it would still make him an upgrade from Chung.

of course, all of this is moot if he decides to retire, but my instincts tell me he'll hang around for another couple of years unless the Ravens win the Super Bowl.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
A step slower Reed is still probably faster than Rodney Harrison was at any point in his tenure here. Durability could be an issue, but he hasn't missed a game since 2010 so it would still make him an upgrade from Chung.

of course, all of this is moot if he decides to retire, but my instincts tell me he'll hang around for another couple of years unless the Ravens win the Super Bowl.

The game's changed since Harrison was last useful, and his last year or two, Harrison wasn't very good.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

The game's changed since Harrison was last useful, and his last year or two, Harrison wasn't very good.
That's beside the point.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

If Harrison's lack of speed and athleticism isn't relevant, why would you bring it up?

Reed now is probably similar to, or a little faster, than Harrison was in 2003. Losing another step could be the difference between "useful but declining veteran" and "big liability".
HOVA333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

If Harrison's lack of speed and athleticism isn't relevant, why would you bring it up?

Reed now is probably similar to, or a little faster, than Harrison was in 2003. Losing another step could be the difference between "useful but declining veteran" and "big liability".

SMH.. Reed is Simply the best option for this secondary next year. Plain put.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

The game having changed since Harrison played is the irrelevant part. Reed is still playing and adapting to the evolution of the game pretty well.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

"Plain put" you don't know that. The best option could be a 1st round pick or a different veteran.

He might be the biggest name out there and a potentially useful piece. That doesn't make him the best option in any way, shape or form.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

The game having changed since Harrison played is the irrelevant part. Reed is still playing and adapting to the evolution of the game pretty well.

The game has changed and slow safeties can't get by as well (or at all) in the league anymore. That's pretty relevant when we're discussing a guy whose biggest drawback would be his declining speed and athleticism.

I'm not saying Reed can't play. But from what I've seen in the last 15 months or so, he's declining athletically and seems to be chronically nicked and dinged. It's not a stretch to think that next year he could be a little bit worse and that could really limit his usefulness.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcmurtry, who do you like for next seas?
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
HOVA333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

"Plain put" you don't know that. The best option could be a 1st round pick or a different veteran.

He might be the biggest name out there and a potentially useful piece. That doesn't make him the best option in any way, shape or form.

There isn't a rookie that we will be able to draft that would have his impact. Which other vet do you like then? We need some one with veteran leadership and gets players into position. No rookie is going to do that. We don't don't need to get more athletic, those days are gone. We need a field general back there. Reed is that, and knowing how big of a Man crush BB has on Reed it shows how special of a player he is.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

That's beside the point.

There isn't a rookie that we will be able to draft that would have his impact. Which other vet do you like then? We need some one with veteran leadership and gets players into position. No rookie is going to do that. We don't don't need to get more athletic, those days are gone. We need a field general back there. Reed is that, and knowing how big of a Man crush BB has on Reed it shows how special of a player he is.

A field general who can't physically hang with NFL receivers is a liability as a starter. I'm not saying Reed is at that point yet, but it sure looks like he is right on that fine line between getting old and washed up. I wouldn't want the Pats to bring him in as an expected 16 game starter.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my count there are currently only 7 teams in the NFL with safety tandems where both starters are above average [8 if you count the Steelers].

That is a sad state of affairs.

Sciz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
By my count there are currently only 7 teams in the NFL with safety tandems where both starters are above average [8 if you count the Steelers].

I'm surprised there are that many. Which 7?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Mcmurtry, who do you like for next seas?

Jairus Byrd would be nice. I'm not a huge fan of William Moore (inconsistency and injury issues), but he could be an upgrade.

I really think that outside of Byrd, the Pats will have to go to the draft or (more likely) will try to add another middle tier type and hope a McCourty/Wilson/Gregory trio will suffice.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I'm surprised there are that many. Which 7?

Texans [Manning/Quin]
Seahawks [Chancellor/Thomas]
Falcons [Moore/DeCoud]
Giants [Brown/Phillips]
Ravens [Reed/Pollard]
Cardinals [Wilson/Rhodes]
49ers [Whitner/Goldson]

If the Bills can't extend Byrd [and if they choose not to franchise tag him], the Pats ought to just drive a dumptruck full of money up to his house.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: