Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Salary Cap And Beyond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Isnt Austins cap number pretty small for the remaining portion of his contact? Isnt that the reason we are penalized?

I think Auttin is dead in the water. His cap hits of the next 4 yrs total $35M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/miles-austin/

He's a solid WR, no doubt, but his consistant injury issues and the emergence of Dez will lead to his demise, imo.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
matt79511

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Arkin is in the discussion, Des. "Needs more coniditioning" my butt, he would be seeing the field if he were competent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Isnt Austins cap number pretty small for the remaining portion of his contact? Isnt that the reason we are penalized?

Yeah, the bulk of Miles Austin's money was paid to him in the uncapped year. So I don't see how cutting him helps.

Did the article add in the 5 mill. penalty we have in 2013?

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I don't see how Arkin is in the discussion, Des. "Needs more coniditioning" my butt, he would be seeing the field if he were competent.

I disagree.

^^^mack
atran35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuts:
Free. The fact that they kept Parnell at LT and didn't move Free is telling.
Arkins: He can't even see the field. He's done.
Livings: Benadeau has more upside and can play Center/Guard. Cheaper alternative is to sign Montrae Holland as a backup and draft a starter.
Olgetree: Confidence in Cole in the slot.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Cuts:

It's Arkin, and he did see the field, albeit in preseason. He was forced to play three weeks at center, a position he never played before, due to injury and aside from snapping issues did fairly well.

I'm sure someone will point to the Miami game where he was beat a few times and looked bad, but after spending most of the off-season and three preseason games at a different position, what do you expect?

The guy was raw and the staff knew that when they took him. If that "three-year" rule should apply to anyone, it would be Arkin. Hopefully with an entire off-season to focus on his natural position (barring a rash of injuries again), he should be able to show why the staff and some fans have confidence in him.

^^^mack
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
atran35 wrote:
Cuts:

It's Arkin, and he did see the field, albeit in preseason. He was forced to play three weeks at center, a position he never played before, due to injury and aside from snapping issues did fairly well.

I'm sure someone will point to the Miami game where he was beat a few times and looked bad, but after spending most of the off-season and three preseason games at a different position, what do you expect?

The guy was raw and the staff knew that when they took him. If that "three-year" rule should apply to anyone, it would be Arkin. Hopefully with an entire off-season to focus on his natural position (barring a rash of injuries again), he should be able to show why the staff and some fans have confidence in him.

He has alreadt had a full offseason to get the offense. So unless his parents are brother and sister I really don't see why he gets a pass on this season. He had a whole offseason to learn the position of OG, and only had to learn C a week into training camp. So no Arkin doesn't get a pass, and he can't even make the game day roster when the team is desimated by injuries on the OL. I might expect this from a UDFA, but the guy was a 4th round pick. He is getting his spot taken by guys who were on their couch at the beginning of training camp. Des, take off the rose colored glasses, and see that Arkin is just another one of Jerry's pet projects that hasn't panned out. I just really get so frustrated that Jerry drafts these guys trying to prove he is smarter than every other GM in the league. Picking Larry Allen and Leon Lett was a great find , but that was how many years ago?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
atran35 wrote:
Cuts:

He has alreadt had a full offseason to get the offense. So unless his parents are brother and sister I really don't see why he gets a pass on this season. He had a whole offseason to learn the position of OG, and only had to learn C a week into training camp. So no Arkin doesn't get a pass, and he can't even make the game day roster when the team is desimated by injuries on the OL. I might expect this from a UDFA, but the guy was a 4th round pick. He is getting his spot taken by guys who were on their couch at the beginning of training camp. Des, take off the rose colored glasses, and see that Arkin is just another one of Jerry's pet projects that hasn't panned out. I just really get so frustrated that Jerry drafts these guys trying to prove he is smarter than every other GM in the league. Picking Larry Allen and Leon Lett was a great find , but that was how many years ago?

Garrett pulled the trigger on Arkin. Another guy he targeted, Murray, panned out well. I'm willing to give Arkin another year to prove himself. If you want to call bust, be my guest.

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting a little more interesting. Here's what Stephen Jones had to say after ESPN reported the Cowboys cap situation a couple of days ago...

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/jerry-jones-says-cowboys-will-have-cap-flexibility-to-make-roster-moves-next-year.html/

Quote:
With each player there’s significant money attached, especially to your core group of guys,” he said Wednesday. “And if they’re not playing to their money than you certainly have to take a look at it because we’re one of those teams that, to be real candid with you, we’re up against the cap next year, I mean up against it tight.

HOWEVER, today Jerry came out and said...

Quote:
We’ve got some flexibility and we can make some flexibility,” he said. “The problem with all of that is you borrow from years to come. It’s a question of looking at it over a three- or four-year period of time.

I guess the REAL question is whether the team wants to borrow against the future to keep some of these players that, IMHO, are vastly underachieving or simply injury prone at this points in their careers.

So, Stephen admits that we are up tight against the cap. Jerry says the team could have some flexibility at the expense of the future. What do you guys think??? Is it worth it to mortgage the future to keep this team intact???

atran35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Desperado82"][quote="buckwild"][quote="Desperado82"][quote="atran35"]Cuts:
[/quote]

The guy was raw and the staff knew that when they took him. If that "three-year" rule should apply to anyone, it would be Arkin. Hopefully with an entire off-season to focus on his natural position (barring a rash of injuries again), he should be able to show why the staff and some fans have confidence in him.[/quote]

He has alreadt had a full offseason to get the offense. So unless his parents are brother and sister I really don't see why he gets a pass on this season. He had a whole offseason to learn the position of OG, and only had to learn C a week into training camp. So no Arkin doesn't get a pass, and he can't even make the game day roster when the team is desimated by injuries on the OL. I might expect this from a UDFA, but the guy was a 4th round pick. He is getting his spot taken by guys who were on their couch at the beginning of training camp. Des, take off the rose colored glasses, and see that Arkin is just another one of Jerry's pet projects that hasn't panned out. I just really get so frustrated that Jerry drafts these guys trying to prove he is smarter than every other GM in the league. Picking Larry Allen and Leon Lett was a great find , but that was how many years ago?[/quote]

Garrett pulled the trigger on Arkin. Another guy he targeted, Murray, panned out well. I'm willing to give Arkin another year to prove himself. If you want to call bust, be my guest.[/quote]

BUST.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
So, Stephen admits that we are up tight against the cap. Jerry says the team could have some flexibility at the expense of the future. What do you guys think??? Is it worth it to mortgage the future to keep this team intact???

No. I'd rather suck for a few more years and build a competitive team the right way, than keep underperforming players for the chance to compete for one title.

^^^mack
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Austin will still be on the team and he should, he has been fairley healthy this season when we have had so many injuries and considering how Miles injury history hasn't been great and has managed to stay on the field for most of the season then yes he gets another year.

Arkin will still be on the team, we can't fix 4 spots on the OL in one year but Livings is a guy here for a few years at most till we find his replacement. Berny is young and will get better, Costa looked great when he played this year, we actually had a run game when he played.

Free is most likely the first one gone on the line. So that leaves Smith, Livings, Costa, Berny, Arkin, Parnell, Kowlaski that we will keep. I see us bringing in a FA and drafting 1-2 players on the OL.

Sensy has been our best safety and have no idea why people want him gone, he is not the best in the league but with many holes he stays another year or 2. Church, Sensy, McCray, Johnson, Peprah stay and I see us bringing in maybe 1 safety in the draft or not at all.

No WR, TE could go CB, RB, maybe QB, DL, LB wow we have many holes. I do not see us fixing all these holes in 1 offseason but we are getting closer.

props to Joe_is_the_best
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/11/29/3706640/dallas-cowboys-2013-salary-cap-management-romo-free-austin-ratllff-scandrick

Quote:
Here's how I sized them up:

Take a look at players Dallas will need to address to avoid them walking or being in the final year of their deals:

Anthony Spencer - contract expires after season

Tony Romo - contract voids after 2013

Sean Lee - contract expires after 2013

Jason Hatcher - contract expires after 2013

Then, you look at players that aren't living up to their contracts for whatever reason and you wonder if any releases are on the horizon. Players such as: (numbers updated, per spotrac.com)

Miles Austin: Salary $6.7 in 2013 ($4.7 cap hit to release)

Doug Free: Salary $7m($8.3m cap hit to release)

Jay Ratliff: Salary $5m ($6m cap hit to release)

Orlando Scandrick: Salary $2m ($6.6m cap hit to release)

Some tough decisions lay ahead. I still say Austin is the most likely of the bunch to get this walking papers.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/11/29/3706640/dallas-cowboys-2013-salary-cap-management-romo-free-austin-ratllff-scandrick

Quote:
Here's how I sized them up:

Take a look at players Dallas will need to address to avoid them walking or being in the final year of their deals:

Anthony Spencer - contract expires after season

Tony Romo - contract voids after 2013

Sean Lee - contract expires after 2013

Jason Hatcher - contract expires after 2013

Then, you look at players that aren't living up to their contracts for whatever reason and you wonder if any releases are on the horizon. Players such as: (numbers updated, per spotrac.com)

Miles Austin: Salary $6.7 in 2013 ($4.7 cap hit to release)

Doug Free: Salary $7m($8.3m cap hit to release)

Jay Ratliff: Salary $5m ($6m cap hit to release)

Orlando Scandrick: Salary $2m ($6.6m cap hit to release)

Some tough decisions lay ahead. I still say Austin is the most likely of the bunch to get this walking papers.

Those numbers are very telling. Im not a salary cap guy but how would their salary be the rest of the years of contract? How would that effect if they are release this year or say in 2 years? We really need a guy that knows salary cap numbers for some information. Im not that smart when it comes to Salary Cap

props to Joe_is_the_best
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Cuts:
Livings: Benadeau has more upside and can play Center/Guard. Cheaper alternative is to sign Montrae Holland as a backup and draft a starter.
Olgetree: Confidence in Cole in the slot.

The only one I agree with is Ogletree.

Free: IMO, to many needs gong in to the draft. We all know that he can play great football, hopefully he will get back to that. Not sure if it would cost us a lot more if we cut him in training camp? some cap guys who can help with this one?

Arkin: Has the potential. We knew that he was a project, let him get those three years to develop. Offcourse, if he still sucks at the end of TC then goodbye. But I think he did show some promise in the pre season even at a position he didnt know.

Livings: Hell no! he is atleast twice as good as Bernadeau and we need him unles we are going to spend two premium picks on o line with us having some other big needs. Burnadeau is only a backup, that's it. Livings is a servicable starter and will be a big part of getting Free back at what he was. And since Burnadeau has five seasons under his belt, I doubt that there can be much of hope that he ever will evolve to a servicable starter. not much potential here.. next after Cook, he has been the biggest liability on our o line of those he has started a good bunch of games.

Also, unless Holland has decided to go down in price I don't want him. Might be because I trust Arkin more then most on this forum, and also because Kowalski is back who has showed some potential as well.

I just want us to trade Ratliff. Would really help us out with the cap also.. offcourse we need to try and restructure Carr's contract as well while resigning Romo.
Hopefully, we can get Connor/Free to take a new deal. But I have my doubts..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: