Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Salary Cap And Beyond
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: 2013 Salary Cap And Beyond Reply with quote

With only 44 of the 53 players signed for next year, the cowboys are already $20M over the anticipated salary cap for next year...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4702192/cowboys-face-tough-cap-situation-in-2013

The cowboys can save about $18M by reworking Brandon Carr's contract and extending Romo. That still leaves them $2m over the cap with 9 players still to be signed and a $5M cap penalty. In other words, we should expect same major cuts. Jay Ratliff, Miles Austin, Doug Free and Dan Connor all look like prime candidates.

2 questions:

1. Who will be cut/Who should be cut?

2. Will 2013 be the start of a true rebuilding era where the roster is completely purged of the over priced and underperforming in favor of young players?

Last edited by The_Slamman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Ratliff, Sensabaugh and Connor should be asked to take a pay cut, or simply get cut.
- Ratliff hasn't had any big impact for some years now. Not worth that pay.
- Sensabaugh isn't anything special, we have seen that we have good depth at safety and Church will be back next season and so will Johnson who has potential. Not only that, but we have a strong safety class in this years draft.
- Connor is a great backup which I hope we can retain with Lee and Carter being injury prones so far. But we have seen that Sims can do a respectable job.

- It will be hard to resign Spencer. Can't really use the franchise tag on him again either, so a OLB in the draft now seems to be a must.

I would wait to after the draft before I start thinking reboulding, it depends on the roster. most teams prefer to trade for players after the draft anyway.

I REALLY hope that some team offers us a pick for Ratliff. Maybe we could use him to trade up and get another 2nd round pick? offcourse we would have to offer something more then just Ratliff..

I think that we will be competitive next season.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free and Connor will likely be gone. Ratliff may be gone as well due to his recurring injury issues.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Free and Connor will likely be gone. Ratliff may be gone as well due to his recurring injury issues.

Thought Ratliff just signed an extension last year? I think Austin will get cut before Free as we need continuity on the OL if we ever have a chance of building a good OL.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Thought Ratliff just signed an extension last year? I think Austin will get cut before Free as we need continuity on the OL if we ever have a chance of building a good OL.

I dont think so. I see Free getting released. I think is almost a sure thing in order to work things out salary wise. If we do anything with Austin it will be a trade. I jsut dont see us releasing him. I hope ratliff stays, he was playing at a high level when he was healthy this year. I am ok with connor either way.
Spends

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam,

Was that supposed to be a link to a breakdown of our roster and salaries? If you have one, I would be interested in seeing that.

At this point, I have to agree with Connor and probably Ratliff as well.

With Austin, you guys don't think he has anything in terms of trade value?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we franchise Spencer, is it set in stone that he gets the 10mil and another team would have to give up 2-1sts, or can we franchise him. Attempt to trade him, and lower the draft pick to a 2nd round pick?
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking we was going to be 20 mil UNDER the cap. We have alot of dead money coming off the books next season and don't see how we are 20 mil over. Last I checked we were 5 mil under the cap right now, and have like 20 mil coming off the books from dead money. Anyways im not a salary cap guy but I was thinking we had plenty of money for next year

props to Joe_is_the_best
superfly3176

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredsnotdeadyet wrote:
I was thinking we was going to be 20 mil UNDER the cap. We have alot of dead money coming off the books next season and don't see how we are 20 mil over. Last I checked we were 5 mil under the cap right now, and have like 20 mil coming off the books from dead money. Anyways im not a salary cap guy but I was thinking we had plenty of money for next year

This is what I thought too. I heard we were going to be in better salary cap shape next year.

I think they let Jenkins and Austin walk. Austin is good but can't stay on the field.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players who should be gone next year: Austin, Jones, Ratliff, Connor, Sensabaugh.
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how we can get rid of Connor considering how fragile Lee and Carter seem to be.

The_Slamman wrote:
RJ is officially the Champion
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is inaccurate.... Going to go off and find what Adam has to say.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spends wrote:
Slam,

Was that supposed to be a link to a breakdown of our roster and salaries? If you have one, I would be interested in seeing that.

At this point, I have to agree with Connor and probably Ratliff as well.

With Austin, you guys don't think he has anything in terms of trade value?

Unfortunately, the link only has the top 9 cap hits. This link has all of the 2013 salaries, but not the total cap hit (prorated signing bonuses etc).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/yearly/

IIRC correctly, I believe the Boys can also transfer any unused salary cap money this year to next year's cap, but Todd Archer does not mention that possibility. Regardless, it looks like it would be very difficult to franchise Spencer again or even sign him to a high salary contract for next year. And, it also looks like some tough decisions will need to be made. I know Miles will probably play this week, but I was actually kind of looking forward to see how Harris and Beasley perform without him.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - cant find anything by him. Just people who are using his numbers to speculate. Positive is that some of the people think we will be roughly $25 Mil under once its all said and done (restructures, cuts).

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt Austins cap number pretty small for the remaining portion of his contact? Isnt that the reason we are penalized?

plan9misfit wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: