Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Sign ILB... Quan Sturdivant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Chiefs Sign ILB... Quan Sturdivant Reply with quote

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/11/29/3706294/chiefs-quan-sturdivant
Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs have another new player: Quan Sturdivant. The North Carolina linebacker is joining the Chiefs practice squad, according to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com.

Sturdivant was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Chiefs actually worked him out a few weeks before the draft so they know a little about him.

Just a PS signing, but this guy was at one time considered a high round prospect. Someone want to give us some more info on the guy?

^ryknowssd on the sig
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were questions about his work ethic and overall intelligence pre-draft IIRC, but his measurables are great. Worth a flier IMO.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
There were questions about his work ethic and overall intelligence pre-draft IIRC, but his measurables are great. Worth a flier IMO.

Quote:
Read & React: Fires toward the line of scrimmage against the run. Can beat the blocker to the spot and is a tackle machine. Susceptible to play-action due to his aggressiveness but is athletic and savvy enough to rarely be caught out of position without recovering. Good understanding of angles in the passing game. Struggles a bit when changing direction and can get himself in trouble in the open field against slippery runners. Seems to always make the tackle, but it isn't always pretty or textbook execution.

Run defense: Best attribute as a run defender is his straight-line speed to the flanks. Attacks the line of scrimmage and can beat the blocker to the action due to his instincts and aggression. Quick enough laterally to avoid blocks, but struggles to disengage when his opponent does get to him. Needs to develop better upper-body strength and refine his hand play to get free of blocks quicker. Good effort laterally and pursuit.

Pass defense: Possesses the straight-line speed to remain at outside linebacker in the NFL, though he offers only average balance and agility to remain with tight ends and running backs one on one. Has a rare understanding of the passing game for a linebacker due to his experience as a quarterback. Reads the quarterback's eyes and breaks on the ball well, showing better than average ball skills for the position.

Tackling: Isn't a classic striker despite his gaudy tackle numbers. "Catches" many of his tackles, as he has a tendency to overrun the play slightly and is forced to break back inside to ride the ballcarrier to the ground. As such, he isn't always the prettiest open-field tackler, but consistently gets the job done. Scouts would like to see him become a bigger, more explosive hitter.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Only occasionally asked to rush the passer in this scheme, though he does show a burst to attack the line of scrimmage when blitzing. Relies too much on his speed to beat the pass blocker, getting stalemated when his initial speed rush is stopped. Still a work in progress disengaging from blocks. Shows little to no technique rushing the passer.

Intangibles: Proved his work ethic by graduating from high school early to enroll at UNC and adjust to the linebacker position. Was a highly successful quarterback in high school, earning conference offensive player of the year honors and leading his team to the state playoffs. Characterized by those close to the North Carolina program as a team leader. Teams will question Sturdivant about his arrest in July 2010 for marijuana possession.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=71979

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Rumless

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move more than that Hicks guy.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we are tinkering with our special teams coverage unit.

ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Intangibles: Proved his work ethic by graduating from high school early to enroll at UNC and adjust to the linebacker position. Was a highly successful quarterback in high school, earning conference offensive player of the year honors and leading his team to the state playoffs. Characterized by those close to the North Carolina program as a team leader. Teams will question Sturdivant about his arrest in July 2010 for marijuana possession.

[/quote]

Hmm. Guess my memory isn't as good as I thought it was. They say the mind is the second thing to go.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Hmm. Guess my memory isn't as good as I thought it was. They say the mind is the second thing to go.

Is sense of humor the first?

^ryknowssd on the sig
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Is sense of humor the first?

I can't remember.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp there's Pioli's answer for QBotF Cool
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:

Now Now Now, Desy. I am sure you wanted McClain to during the draft a few years back.
RedandGold

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember when he came out of college he was a solid prospect. Worth a chance

WORST COACH IN KC HISTORY
Thanks for the sig Saintsfan
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedandGold wrote:
i remember when he came out of college he was a solid prospect. Worth a chance

Yeah Sturdivant was known as a smart, instinctive, high effort linebacker for the Tarheels. Bruce Carter got alot more attention as a prospect because of his excellent range and athleticism, but I always thought Sturdivant was a solid developmental linebacker at the next level (admittedly not at Carter's level) - and certainly a solid special teamer prospect. Hopefully he can show enough this season to get a shot at sticking around awhile longer on special teams coverage.

younggun1273

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinals fan here.

I know many of us were happy to see him drafted and we had high hopes for him. He couldn't crack the lineup ahead of K State alum Reggie Walker and Stewart Bradley. The only chance we had to see him was some minimal time in preseason but we couldn't get a feel for him. I hope he works out for you, especially given the tragic loss that happened today.

Justo on the sig
Rumless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiccupGuy wrote:
Rumless wrote:

Now Now Now, Desy. I am sure you wanted McClain to during the draft a few years back.

I also wanted Joe Haden over Eric Berry. Wink

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
Mikek163

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:
HiccupGuy wrote:
Rumless wrote:

I also wanted Joe Haden over Eric Berry. Wink

I wanted Aaron Curry over T-Jax Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: