Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rolando McClain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Rolando McClain Reply with quote

Rolando McClain was released by the Raiders. He is a beast and if Singletary could get through to him it would be a huge payout.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If McClain was released by the Raiders that isn't a good sign for him being a beast.

If he comes very cheap, sure why not sign him as some depth and see if a change of scenery can do him some good, but he isn't likely a fix for our LB's.

KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would be the best LB on the roster other than Chad Greenway. Go watch film
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the film that I've seen on him, post college, he has primarily been a non factor on a team that went and got Aaron Curry in hopes that he'd help their linebackers. Sure, he looked elite in college (as did Aaron Curry) but in terms of his play in the NFL, he's about a wash with Brinkley, more upside yet, but that upside hasn't been factored into his play much at all yet add in the fact that his release was do to his being a malcontent within the team structure as much as indifferent play, that raises red flags as well that would have to be well sorted out, I'm not opposed to bringing him in, but to expect him to be a vast upgrade and calling him a beast is highly unlikely.

The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
He's been a huge disappointment himself though. Strictly a 3-4 ILB.

Oakland fans seem to agree on that and not think all that highly off him.

El ramster wrote:
He still has talent left. But he's mad slow, Is not disciplined and has arthritis on his foot.

dawsonleery wrote:
I'm sure a few fans will want because he's a name but he was a huge bust. He's lazy, can't tackle, can't cover. Made a few big hits, that's about it.

yogi wrote:
Slow, wrong gaps, can't shed blocks, no leadership skills, possibly too dumb to run the D. Occasionally he'll slam some small guy though.

holy ghost wrote:
Anyone thinking this guy is a good pickup right now is catching Al Davis disease, i.e. sniffing the draft status glue.

Lazy, slow, quitter, terrible off the field issues, horrendous with the media, terrible leader. Burns his team on the way out. He made an art of standing unblocked behind a blocked teammate until the runner runs by him and an art of choosing the wrong gap.

When asked if he was really that bad in the thread:

holy ghost wrote:
No Raider fan really wants to think this happened so quickly with yet another high pick. And it's really sad considering we needed a MLB leader sooooo bad, and he was supposed to be a safe pick.

But yes, he was really that bad. Consistently, and I mean consistently when I say it, hitting the wrong gap or hiding behind a lineman. He never made any impact plays, not one, that changed a game. I mean nothing. I think in 3 years he made 4 good hits and tipped like 3 passes. Everything else was a steady stream of loafing.

Plus he never spoke to the media, like a brat. Then he fired off a gun next to a guy's ear in the offseason. Some leader..

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
AlexM23 wrote:
Can he play strong side linebacker in a 4-3?

ha, no...

http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Sorry KeithVikings28, this wasn't a knock on you or your opinion on McClain, I was just curious to see what people were saying in the release thread because I do agree that the Vikings desperately need to find someone who can do something at LB besides Greenway, and if McClain wasn't getting criticized so much and being pegged as a 3-4 ILB, I'd be all for him.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
He would be the best LB on the roster other than Chad Greenway. Go watch film

Film says he's terrible
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like what others have stated, other than a name remembered for being a 1st rd pick (just 2 years ago), what exactly has he done to warrant bringing him in?

Since he's a Nick Saban player, if he has any potential left he'll end up in New England. If Belichick passes on him, then you can forget it.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, is McClain such a beast that Oakland had to cut him so another team could pick him up? Laughing

I'm guessing he's no different from Jasper Brinkley?

...next

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a "Jasper and Rolando" in the lineup would be kind of cool, though. It sounds like a a magic act in Vegas.

"Jasper, Rolando, and Chad" sounds like a British Invasion pop trio. They'd all need mop top or mod haircuts though.

Other than those obvious benefits, though, it sounds like Rolando (why do I want to say his name like "Ricola" in the commercials?) will not be joining us in the Great White North. But maybe we could bring back ex-Raiders Napoleon Harris and Greg Biekert?

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pretty much puts an end to the Manti Te'o train. The Raiders will be a top 5 pick, and if he happens to be passes by the teams before him, the train will stop in Oakland. They won't pass on this guy to be a leader for that team at a position that is now much needed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy28 wrote:
This pretty much puts an end to the Manti Te'o train. The Raiders will be a top 5 pick, and if he happens to be passes by the teams before him, the train will stop in Oakland. They won't pass on this guy to be a leader for that team at a position that is now much needed.

That's not necessarily guaranteed. While that certainly would be the favorite, they have needs all over the place, including QB.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Sloppy28 wrote:

That's not necessarily guaranteed. While that certainly would be the favorite, they have needs all over the place, including QB.

Yes, but, they did spend a high pick on their project Terrelle Pryor, who they said may be playing before the year is over to start their evaluations on him. So, I'm not sure they would spend their top pick on a QB that isn't even worth a second or third round pick. If they don't take Te'o, it will be because they spent that pick on a pass-rush defensive player. They need all the help they can get on the defensive side of the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is a change of scenery and coaching could turn things around for him, it happens pretty often in the NFL. Of course Raiders fans are going to bash him because he hasn't quite panned out how they would like, which in the first place if everyone remembers correctly he was a huge reach in the draft anyways. The Raiders defense had zero veteran players around him and zero stability. He was suppose to come in and be the leader of the defense when sometimes people just aren't cut out for that. I think if he can to an established defense like the Vikings, that he would feel more comfortable because of the talent around he and he would step up his play because of the players around him. The Raiders have zero d-line and I'm sure he got really frustrated playing behind them, but the Vikings have one of the best fronts in the game. I think he is worth a shot. Just bring him in and see what he can do.
JMac79

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
All I'm saying is a change of scenery and coaching could turn things around for him, it happens pretty often in the NFL. Of course Raiders fans are going to bash him because he hasn't quite panned out how they would like, which in the first place if everyone remembers correctly he was a huge reach in the draft anyways. The Raiders defense had zero veteran players around him and zero stability. He was suppose to come in and be the leader of the defense when sometimes people just aren't cut out for that. I think if he can to an established defense like the Vikings, that he would feel more comfortable because of the talent around he and he would step up his play because of the players around him. The Raiders have zero d-line and I'm sure he got really frustrated playing behind them, but the Vikings have one of the best fronts in the game. I think he is worth a shot. Just bring him in and see what he can do.

While I agree that a lot of the Raiders' fans comments have to be taken with a grain of salt - sometimes generally focusing upon one team tends to inflate opinions about that team's players, whether good or bad - the problem I see is that beyond the lazy/dumb/unmotivated gripes, there's issues with how he'd fit on this team. If I'm remembering correctly, even coming out of Alabama (when he was the consensus #1 MLB in the draft) he wasn't seen as a particularly quick or fast LB, and a guy that would likely fit best as a 3-4 ILB "thumper" type of player. Combine that with some of the comments that he's been a slow LB on the NFL field foot speed-wise, and a guy that has been very limited in coverage (he had been relegated to being a "2-down" LB this season)... and I'm not seeing the clear benefit for the Vikings.

The Vikes have or had two MLBs that would generally fare best in 3-4 schemes (E.J. Henderson and Jasper) as downhill thumpers who have weaknesses in coverage... why do we need another one? Particularly one with some recent character issues, and questionable on-field instincts? I came into this news trying to be open-minded about it, trying to remind myself that Aaron Curry was able to redeem himself decently after going to a new team (incidentally, the Raiders)... but I'm just not seeing many reasons to think McClain would be a good fit here, even if he would be able to turn it around (which is a big "if").

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another slow ILB, and one with character issues to boot?

no thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: