Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilahchris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
Alex smith was put in a system surrounded by talent , a great coach, and defense and he still got benched. When the niners had below average talent smith was awful , I credit harbaugh for knowing you can't win the Super Bowl with a game manager at qb.

That is not true. The 49ers went through atleast 4 different offensive coordinators in 6 years and several coaching changes. This is the first stable coaching staff the 49ers have had in years. Constant changes like that would have an effect on even a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I have always liked Alex Smith, a much more efficient Quaterback with a slightly better arm. He is alot more accurate. He would not fumble the 12 times in a year.

It seems like the NFL game is too big for Mark Sanchez. He just does not have what it takes to even be a mediocre QB
richie jets

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's not true and Alex smith is great. Why is he being benched . While having his best season .and while his team is in first place ? And for the love of god don't compare this to Montana-young and Favre Rogers. He's not good enough and harbaugh knows it . Ill pass . The only qb that I would trade for if he became available (realistically )iis Phillip rivers. Anyone else is not good enough. no Vick either
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith would only be good if we surrounded him with a stacked roster. He's Trent Dilfer 2.0. The 49ers had a good record, Smith was playing okay, yet he still got benched. That shows how much confidence Harbaugh has in him. Not to mention anybody who has watched a 49ers game saw how cautious the 49ers were with Smith. They never even took the training wheels off. He's a game manager. A better game manager than Sanchez, but still a game manager.

I just want to draft a QB. I don't want Alex Smith, Vick, or any of the other guys that will be available. But knowing the Jets, they'll go after Vick because he'll generate headlines (mostly negative headlines, but any publicity is good publicity in Woody's book).

Harbaugh is gonna laugh his [inappropriate/removed] off at whoever gets stuck with Alex Smith. I just hope it's not us.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
richie jets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:
Alex Smith would only be good if we surrounded him with a stacked roster. He's Trent Dilfer 2.0. The 49ers had a good record, Smith was playing okay, yet he still got benched. That shows how much confidence Harbaugh has in him. Not to mention anybody who has watched a 49ers game saw how cautious the 49ers were with Smith. They never even took the training wheels off. He's a game manager. A better game manager than Sanchez, but still a game manager.

I just want to draft a QB. I don't want Alex Smith, Vick, or any of the other guys that will be available. But knowing the Jets, they'll go after Vick because he'll generate headlines (mostly negative headlines, but any publicity is good publicity in Woody's book).

Harbaugh is gonna laugh his [inappropriate/removed] off at whoever gets stuck with Alex Smith. I just hope it's not us.
well put
jpt331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want him I'd rather bring in a rookie and develop him behind a vet like Matt more or Jason campbell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is gonna trade for Smith because the 49ers are gonna cut him come spring time otherwise they owe him a bunch of money. I think the Jets would be nuts not to do their due diligence when it comes to scouting him. There is a reason he was selected #1 overall. I'm not saying I want to throw crazy money at him because I think that would not be smart but if we can sign him and release Tebow then have Sanchez and Smith duke it out for a year I'm all for it. There is no one worth drafting especially when we have so many other holes to fill. I say stick with Sanchez for next year with Smith competing (assuming he is not gonna draw a monster contract) and then load up on offense and defense through the draft. If they bust next year then whoever we decide to draft as our new franchise QB at least they will have talent around them.
Rich51

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
I don't want him I'd rather bring in a rookie and develop him behind a vet like Matt more or Jason campbell

I agree with the rookie part but I think Mark is going to be here next year so let him and the rookie fight for the starting job. If we do go after a fa i would like to see Stanton back. Probably won't happen but i thought he had potential.

Meanwhile give whoever it is a better O line and some skill player.
By the way is it me or is Keller playing terrible lately?
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has basically stated in this forum, Alex Smith benefits from the talent and scheme around him.

I won't necessarily say he deserved to be benched, nor would I have benched him. That being said, it goes to show how well developed Harbaugh's system is. What bothers me is that Rex wants this team to be the San Francisco 49ers, but they haven't added the players necessary to come close to mimicking it.

1. Power run game - we have the system in place, but Greene/Powell/McKnight vs. Gore/Hunter/Jacobs/Dixon/James. It's a joke how thin we are at the position for a team that lacks a true workhorse back. Our offensive line because they've been playing well this season so you can't fault them, but drafting someone like Chase Warmack wouldn't hurt...

2. Tight ends - the Jets came into this year planning that Cumberland could be the man opposite Keller, but he hasn't necessarily grown into his own yet. I think Cumberland has tools to be someone in this league, but he went undrafted for a reason. Mark Sanchez's favorite targets have always been tight ends, which is why I believe the Jets need to focus on adding athletic tight ends and roll with a 2-TE starting lineup much like the Colts employ.

3. Play-action - when it's all said and done, this is our recipe for success. When play-action works, so does Mark Sanchez. Sanchez should be further along in his development where he doesn't need to rely on it constantly, but at the same time the offense is built off of it.

4. Playcalling - In San Fran, Alex Smith was asked to make one read and if it wasn't there, simply dump it off to the RB or TE or throw it away. The key is to get the ball out quickly. The biggest mistake that was ever made was Schottenheimer's proclamation that Sanchez was ready to "air it out" in 2010. The offense was complex and required the QB to make multiple reads. Most of the elite QBs in the NFL have had plenty of time to develop before they were asked to throw for 300 yards a game every week. You will know when your QB is ready to do that, you can't force the maturation process into an elite QB by installing more pass plays (unless you have Calvin Johnson).

Where am I getting at? Sanchez can be good enough for this team to contend every year if the Jets can get the right personnel in place. It's easier to find good players at 21 other positions than it is to find an elite QB. Finding an elite QB is extremely difficult which is why the Jets need to move along and build around the QB first, see how he responds, and try to get/develop a QB when the right opportunity presents itself.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
As everyone has basically stated in this forum, Alex Smith benefits from the talent and scheme around him.

I won't necessarily say he deserved to be benched, nor would I have benched him. That being said, it goes to show how well developed Harbaugh's system is. What bothers me is that Rex wants this team to be the San Francisco 49ers, but they haven't added the players necessary to come close to mimicking it.

1. Power run game - we have the system in place, but Greene/Powell/McKnight vs. Gore/Hunter/Jacobs/Dixon/James. It's a joke how thin we are at the position for a team that lacks a true workhorse back. Our offensive line because they've been playing well this season so you can't fault them, but drafting someone like Chase Warmack wouldn't hurt...

2. Tight ends - the Jets came into this year planning that Cumberland could be the man opposite Keller, but he hasn't necessarily grown into his own yet. I think Cumberland has tools to be someone in this league, but he went undrafted for a reason. Mark Sanchez's favorite targets have always been tight ends, which is why I believe the Jets need to focus on adding athletic tight ends and roll with a 2-TE starting lineup much like the Colts employ.

3. Play-action - when it's all said and done, this is our recipe for success. When play-action works, so does Mark Sanchez. Sanchez should be further along in his development where he doesn't need to rely on it constantly, but at the same time the offense is built off of it.

4. Playcalling - In San Fran, Alex Smith was asked to make one read and if it wasn't there, simply dump it off to the RB or TE or throw it away. The key is to get the ball out quickly. The biggest mistake that was ever made was Schottenheimer's proclamation that Sanchez was ready to "air it out" in 2010. The offense was complex and required the QB to make multiple reads. Most of the elite QBs in the NFL have had plenty of time to develop before they were asked to throw for 300 yards a game every week. You will know when your QB is ready to do that, you can't force the maturation process into an elite QB by installing more pass plays (unless you have Calvin Johnson).

Where am I getting at? Sanchez can be good enough for this team to contend every year if the Jets can get the right personnel in place. It's easier to find good players at 21 other positions than it is to find an elite QB. Finding an elite QB is extremely difficult which is why the Jets need to move along and build around the QB first, see how he responds, and try to get/develop a QB when the right opportunity presents itself.

Yes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: