Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETSsuperbowl43

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Alex Smith Reply with quote

I've been reading the message board lately and there's one thing that's struck me as odd, why are there no articles about Alex Smith???? In my opinion, this is our best option to upgrade from Mark Sanchez if we choose to do so. Smith would bring to the table everything Mark Sanchez doesn't have. He has size (6'4, 212 lbs.), he doesn't make horrible mental errors in crunch time and he has proven that he can be a Superbowl winning QB last year. Of course, we are going to need to rebuild the team around him otherwise no one would be much of an upgrade over Sanchez, but I find it very hard to believe we won't. As long as we can restock the RB position, perhaps add another secondary WR and maybe, just maybe we add a pass rush, then I believe there is a decent chance that Alex Smith could be the man to lead us over the hump because he is exactly what Rex Ryan always wanted Sanchez to be, a game-manager who doesn't lose games. Plus it's not like he isn't going to be very much available.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex smith was put in a system surrounded by talent , a great coach, and defense and he still got benched. When the niners had below average talent smith was awful , I credit harbaugh for knowing you can't win the Super Bowl with a game manager at qb.
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith Reply with quote

JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:
I've been reading the message board lately and there's one thing that's struck me as odd, why are there no articles about Alex Smith???? In my opinion, this is our best option to upgrade from Mark Sanchez if we choose to do so. Smith would bring to the table everything Mark Sanchez doesn't have. He has size (6'4, 212 lbs.), he doesn't make horrible mental errors in crunch time and he has proven that he can be a Superbowl winning QB last year. Of course, we are going to need to rebuild the team around him otherwise no one would be much of an upgrade over Sanchez, but I find it very hard to believe we won't. As long as we can restock the RB position, perhaps add another secondary WR and maybe, just maybe we add a pass rush, then I believe there is a decent chance that Alex Smith could be the man to lead us over the hump because he is exactly what Rex Ryan always wanted Sanchez to be, a game-manager who doesn't lose games. Plus it's not like he isn't going to be very much available.

Just on his Size I remember something about him having an extra vertebrae or something making him taller than the rest of his body proportionately is so smallish hands and such. Might be wrong tho.

Either way the 49r's have far more talent on offense than we do and look at how little he did with it. 17 TDs 5 Picks and 5 Fumbles last year ... Sanchez had over 30 TDs (running and passing combined) ... though he also had 18 turnovers I believe. Either way neither is a good option for us.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:

Just on his Size I remember something about him having an extra vertebrae or something making him taller than the rest of his body proportionately is so smallish hands and such. Might be wrong tho.

Either way the 49r's have far more talent on offense than we do and look at how little he did with it. 17 TDs 5 Picks and 5 Fumbles last year ... Sanchez had over 30 TDs (running and passing combined) ... though he also had 18 turnovers I believe. Either way neither is a good option for us.
His O last year wasn't super talented...Vernon Davis and Frank Gore...that was about the extent of the skill positions.

I like the idea of Alex Smith, but like Sanchez we need to put a talented roster around him. A dynamic RB would be a nice start...Smith + McFadden in the offseason would be amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:

His O last year wasn't super talented...Vernon Davis and Frank Gore...that was about the extent of the skill positions.

I like the idea of Alex Smith, but like Sanchez we need to put a talented roster around him. A dynamic RB would be a nice start...Smith + McFadden in the offseason would be amazing.

Don't get me wrong I like Sanchez as well, but I just see Alex Smith as a better Mark Sanchez. The things that I see wrong with Sanchez do have some to do with his lack of playmakers, but mostly due to his shortcomings, shortcomings I haven't seen when studying Smith. They would obviously need to put talent around him, but I really only think it's a RB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to start fresh and not bring in a never-was.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith Reply with quote

JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:

Don't get me wrong I like Sanchez as well, but I just see Alex Smith as a better Mark Sanchez. The things that I see wrong with Sanchez do have some to do with his lack of playmakers, but mostly due to his shortcomings, shortcomings I haven't seen when studying Smith. They would obviously need to put talent around him, but I really only think it's a RB.

We run a ball control offense...if people want Rex here for the long haul, an Alex Smith is the ideal QB.

Now unless you guys want to just scrap the entire FO, then fine...Smith is a waste. But if it's Rex in 2013, Alex Smith is an ideal fit. Admittedly, I do question how much of his success in San Fran was his own work ethic and not Harbaugh's coaching...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already had Chad Pennington. No thanks.
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alex Smith is a great quarterback to bring in for a transition. He is smart, a good leader and willing to take a back seat. Everything I have read from the 49ers camp has been fantastic things about his leadership. He would be great to start a few years and then have a young guy who we are grooming take over
jetfuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the guy will never help a team win a game. He is below average. I would rather have Mike Vick than Alex Smith and Vick is pretty bad.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
Alex smith was put in a system surrounded by talent , a great coach, and defense and he still got benched. When the niners had below average talent smith was awful , I credit harbaugh for knowing you can't win the Super Bowl with a game manager at qb.

Thank you.

He was pretty much Mark Sanchez before Jim came through.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at comparing Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith. Alex Smith is nothing special but he gets it done and has a 70% completion percentage. Mark couldnt do that in a walk through. Mark had just as much talent in 2010 and still wasnt impressive.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
LOL at comparing Mark Sanchez and Alex Smith. Alex Smith is nothing special but he gets it done and has a 70% completion percentage. Mark couldnt do that in a walk through. Mark had just as much talent in 2010 and still wasnt impressive.

Yeah when Jim took the job. Before then, he didn't reach 60% completion until year 4, and that was 60.5%, then dropped back down to 59%. That's why I compared him to mark. He might start playing like his old self outside of Jim's coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith with the same Jets around him as this year would make no difference. I think the Jets should focus on OL, WR and RB instead. Start off by trading for Chris Ivory.
Swift21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex doesn't really mesh well with defensive minded head coaches.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: