Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders cut LB Rolando McClain; Update - Suspended instead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Pats chose the correct slow/can't cover/2 down linebacker Very Happy

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what is said about him not excelling in a 4-3, I'd like to think the Bills should be all over putting in a claim. He's a project, a big one, that's for sure. But we're one of the worst at the linebacker position and it'd be a typical Bills pickup.

There's no way another team doesn't give him a chance. The guy was #8 overall only two years ago. No matter how much he's sucked you don't just not take a chance on a guy with that pedigree, considering how much upside he could still have. Like I said before, due in part to both on and off field issues, he's a huge project, and likely will make some teams shy away due to character alone, not to mention the way he just walked out on his team mid-season. But other teams will see past that and I think the Bills would be willing to. We gave Merriman a shot. I don't see why we wouldn't try for McClain too.

However, one thing that does concern me about both Curry and now McClain is that they've both been let go by the Raiders, who have one of the worst defenses, specifically run-defenses, in the NFL. One has to think if you can't stay on the Raider roster, how good are you really? But this release could also be moreso to do with his attitude rather than his play, which has also been poor. Who knows? All I know is I'd be very shocked to see him go unclaimed. Quite a few teams will look past the issues and take a chance on this guy for potential alone. It's a Bills-esque type of move that takes some guts, so I wouldn't mind us trying for him, no matter what his attitude is.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Looks like the Pats chose the correct slow/can't cover/2 down linebacker Very Happy
Don't be so sure. As much as I like Spikes as a player, he seems like he's one bad decision away from being tossed out on his butt.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Despite what is said about him not excelling in a 4-3, I'd like to think the Bills should be all over putting in a claim. He's a project, a big one, that's for sure. But we're one of the worst at the linebacker position and it'd be a typical Bills pickup.

There's no way another team doesn't give him a chance. The guy was #8 overall only two years ago. No matter how much he's sucked you don't just not take a chance on a guy with that pedigree, considering how much upside he could still have. Like I said before, due in part to both on and off field issues, he's a huge project, and likely will make some teams shy away due to character alone, not to mention the way he just walked out on his team mid-season. But other teams will see past that and I think the Bills would be willing to. We gave Merriman a shot. I don't see why we wouldn't try for McClain too.

However, one thing that does concern me about both Curry and now McClain is that they've both been let go by the Raiders, who have one of the worst defenses, specifically run-defenses, in the NFL. One has to think if you can't stay on the Raider roster, how good are you really? But this release could also be moreso to do with his attitude rather than his play, which has also been poor. Who knows? All I know is I'd be very shocked to see him go unclaimed. Quite a few teams will look past the issues and take a chance on this guy for potential alone. It's a Bills-esque type of move that takes some guts, so I wouldn't mind us trying for him, no matter what his attitude is.

You make it sound like it's a guess? It's both bro, a 3 year old Raider fan could diagnose this watching McClain play.

He'll get a chance, 99.9% he never fulfills anything remotely close to his draft status. It'll be too late by the time he realizes what a lazy clown he is.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Don't be so sure. As much as I like Spikes as a player, he seems like he's one bad decision away from being tossed out on his butt.

In what way is Spikes going to get kicked off the team?

He makes some illegal hits now and then, but its not any different to what say, James Harrison does.

Spikes is one of our most effective players for what he does, and unless his 'bad decision' is to go on to commit mass genocide, I can't see him getting cut.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
BrettFavre4 wrote:

You make it sound like it's a guess? It's both bro, a 3 year old Raider fan could diagnose this watching McClain play.

He'll get a chance, 99.9% he never fulfills anything remotely close to his draft status. It'll be too late by the time he realizes what a lazy clown he is.

This. Fans are often guilty of bashing players once they're not on their team but i can assure you this isnt the case here. McClain will never live up to his draft status, there are way too many issues to fix with him on and off the field. And he is a guy who was supposed to be ready from the get go, he isn't a "potential" player.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of the draft i heard how he was a leader, intelligent football player, hard worker ect. He was the complete opposite of that, horrible athlete too. He's not going to do ish in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur
NFL Films' Greg Cosell on Rolando McClain: "He's been awful ... arguably the worst starting 4-3 middle linebacker in the NFL. He can't move"

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur
More Cosell on Rolando McClain: "He doesn't play with any quick twitch at all. He's almost plodding in his movements."

Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the fans of teams saying you should give him a shot, just... don't.

It's similar to when we traded a 7th round pick to Seattle for Curry last year. Hawks fans tried to warn us that even that wasn't worth it, that the guy was a bum, and we were wasting our time. We ignored them and assumed it was just them being bitter at him not living up to his 1st round selection. Nope, they were right. He was awful. And it's the same deal here. You don't want this waster on your team.
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
To all the fans of teams saying you should give him a shot, just... don't.

It's similar to when we traded a 7th round pick to Seattle for Curry last year. Hawks fans tried to warn us that even that wasn't worth it, that the guy was a bum, and we were wasting our time. We ignored them and assumed it was just them being bitter at him not living up to his 1st round selection. Nope, they were right. He was awful. And it's the same deal here. You don't want this waster on your team.

The difference between Curry & McClain is, Curry actually has some positive tools to work with, such as passion & athleticism. He does have poor football IQ, but that could improve under better coaching. He will never reach his draft status, however. Unfortunately for him, his knee issue also seems serious.

With McClain, you have a nothing to work with. His intelligence was completely overhyped in college. He has no leadership skills, no athletic ability, and no passion to improve his craft. As soon as he made the NFL, he was done.

Any hope that McClain can turn it around under a better environment/coaching/team is simply blind optimism. I wouldn't say this if I did not mean it. No bitterness - just truth.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how crappy the Jets are at LB, I wouldn't mind them picking him up. On the other hand, I feel like he's just as much to blame as the team for this. Still, a very talented player, I doubt he'll sit out there long.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
With how crappy the Jets are at LB, I wouldn't mind them picking him up. On the other hand, I feel like he's just as much to blame as the team for this. Still, a very talented player, I doubt he'll sit out there long.

definitely not
Raidin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 3-4 team he can definitely be a starter for another 8 years or so. He's not as bad as Raider fans make out tbh. He's been no worse than Wheeler or Burris really, certainly not Wheeler. One thing is that he rarely makes any plays but he still doesn't abused as often as Wheeler in coverage or in the run game. He's average but if you pay him like he's average then wouldn't be to bad.

Funnily enough the Raiders still haven't cut him and it seems people were a bit hastey in reporting it.
coors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that Rol had not lived up to where he was drafted so high at #8, but I didn't think that he was playing so badly that getting cut was inevitable. Raiders fans I'm sure you can help fill me in... I was a big fan of his coming out of Bama, I had seen almost all of his games pretty much when he was with the Crimson Tide, but after getting drafted and going to Oakland, I have seen him play a full game maybe 1 time, with random appearances every so often, usually on national televised games because here in Atlanta we don't get many Raiders games at all.. so what was his issue? I knew that he had been pretty raw coming out of college, it seemed like at Bama he was able to use his size and athletic ability to just overpower a lot of guys.. but clearly you can't do that at the NFL level. What has been his downfall?

Just saw his tweet that Billy posted..:

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Former Bama LB Rolando McClain no longer with OAK. He writes: I'm gonna weigh my options. Looking forward to playing for an actual 'team'.

http://twitter.com/kyle_burger/statuses/273920739290279936

what an arrogant jerk.. he clearly wasn't able to make the team any better, or he wouldn't have gotten cut. Looks like he is just embarrassed for being so badly that he is blaming it on everyone other than himself.. Boo hoo!

green24 wrote:
Safe pick.

Just like Aaron Curry.. and look where those 2 fools got themselves..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
In 3-4 team he can definitely be a starter for another 8 years or so. He's not as bad as Raider fans make out tbh. He's been no worse than Wheeler or Burris really, certainly not Wheeler. One thing is that he rarely makes any plays but he still doesn't abused as often as Wheeler in coverage or in the run game. He's average but if you pay him like he's average then wouldn't be to bad.

Funnily enough the Raiders still haven't cut him and it seems people were a bit hastey in reporting it.

I was wondering when we might get around to changing the thread or locking it up. He's still a Raider. Not released. Just not with the team.

What's the deal guys?

What are the Raiders going to do with him? Tell him to sit at home the rest of the season? Will they release him? Are they going to let him practice again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: