Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jags claim DE Jason Babin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35157
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@GeneFrenette
Given all #Jaguars roster moves seem like shuffling deck chairs on Titanic, at least signing DE Babin could potentially help awful pass rush


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sadjag


Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 1111
Location: jax
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Another question is why would Shad allow Gene to add more money if he isn't going to be here?
Could be something he signed off on?
Or maybe someone else is calling the shots? Babin isnt exactly a GS guy....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. V


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 2697
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to PFT, Babin can choose to be a free agent next year.
_________________

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguarfan


Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 21237
Location: Daboyle on the sig/ JMG on the avy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
According to PFT, Babin can choose to be a free agent next year.

Well, we'll at least have Babin for 5 games!
_________________

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AngryPirate


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
According to PFT, Babin can choose to be a free agent next year.

after next season is over he can leave
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoJo122-b-21


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 6439
Location: Not London!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how this hurts the team moving forward.

When he was cut, like every veteran who gets let go, I wondered if we'd make a move. Hopefully he can add something on the edge.
_________________
GopherWrestler knows his way around a sig...

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83212
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
He made it all the way to the second team on the waiver wire. Laughing


KC didnt want him ruining their chance at #1
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conrad Buff


Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move. It really can't do anything but benefit us moving forward. We have the league low in sacks and if we had just a decent pass rush our team would be pretty different.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83212
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
According to PFT, Babin can choose to be a free agent next year.


and he can be cut without a cap hit on us
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DjBuddaH


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 7978
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of this pick-up. He is a premier pass-rusher and will be a bright spot on our defensive line. 3rd in the league since 2010 behind only DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen in sacks. Who cares about his contract? We didn't have to give up a pick to get him and if he plays well, which I think he will, it takes pressure off of us picking up more pass-rushers in the off-season. That way we can concentrate on picking up more OL help. Arrows all the way up on this pick-up. Not really a Gene Smith pick-up (if the stories of quitting on the team are true), but even Gene couldn't pass up this opportunity.

This would be the equivalent of Larry Fitzgerald being put on waivers as I still see him as the 3rd best WR the past few years. Kinda surprised there isn't more excitement over this pick-up.
_________________

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 45581
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DjBuddaH wrote:
I'm a fan of this pick-up. He is a premier pass-rusher and will be a bright spot on our defensive line. 3rd in the league since 2010 behind only DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen in sacks. Who cares about his contract? We didn't have to give up a pick to get him and if he plays well, which I think he will, it takes pressure off of us picking up more pass-rushers in the off-season. That way we can concentrate on picking up more OL help. Arrows all the way up on this pick-up. Not really a Gene Smith pick-up (if the stories of quitting on the team are true), but even Gene couldn't pass up this opportunity.

This would be the equivalent of Larry Fitzgerald being put on waivers as I still see him as the 3rd best WR the past few years. Kinda surprised there isn't more excitement over this pick-up.
He has only ever been successful in the Wide Nine, a technique where he has no responsibilities outside of rushing the passer every single play. The technique typically inflates pass rush numbers compared to actual ability, at the cost of getting gashed in the run game. He's shown to be terrible against the run when he's had to do that, and apparently he's not exactly a good teammate and reports are that he quit on the Eagles the last two games.

All of that said, I want him to be successful. It's just that there has to be tempered expectations when a system player who hasn't performed within his own system after getting a payday goes to a team that doesn't employ the system that he's been effective in.

And yes, I know the wide nine isn't a system.
_________________

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles shelton


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1796
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DjBuddaH wrote:
I'm a fan of this pick-up. He is a premier pass-rusher and will be a bright spot on our defensive line. 3rd in the league since 2010 behind only DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen in sacks. Who cares about his contract? We didn't have to give up a pick to get him and if he plays well, which I think he will, it takes pressure off of us picking up more pass-rushers in the off-season. That way we can concentrate on picking up more OL help. Arrows all the way up on this pick-up. Not really a Gene Smith pick-up (if the stories of quitting on the team are true), but even Gene couldn't pass up this opportunity.

This would be the equivalent of Larry Fitzgerald being put on waivers as I still see him as the 3rd best WR the past few years. Kinda surprised there isn't more excitement over this pick-up.
He has only ever been successful in the Wide Nine, a technique where he has no responsibilities outside of rushing the passer every single play. The technique typically inflates pass rush numbers compared to actual ability, at the cost of getting gashed in the run game. He's shown to be terrible against the run when he's had to do that, and apparently he's not exactly a good teammate and reports are that he quit on the Eagles the last two games.

All of that said, I want him to be successful. It's just that there has to be tempered expectations when a system player who hasn't performed within his own system after getting a payday goes to a team that doesn't employ the system that he's been effective in.

And yes, I know the wide nine isn't a system.


you make some good points, but i'd like to point out that where we seem to be weakest in terms of pass rush is on obvious passing downs. how many times have we had a team in a 3rd and long only to get absolute no pressure. we have to watch in horror time and time again as opposing offenses routinely convert 3rd & long situations against us. if he can even help just in those obvious passing situations i'm ok with the pickup.

-charles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35157
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This might not be a five-game move. Babin signed a five-year, $28.9 million contract with Philadelphia after the 2011 lockout.

The contract, according to a league source, is friendly to the Jaguars if they decide to move on after the year because it contains no big bonuses or guarantees, thus not impacting their salary cap situation.

Babinís cap number is $4.625 million in 2013, followed by $6.475 million and $6.45 million. The combined signing/workout bonus next off-season is only $400,000.


So we are now 26m over the cap. Laughing
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 45581
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Quote:
This might not be a five-game move. Babin signed a five-year, $28.9 million contract with Philadelphia after the 2011 lockout.

The contract, according to a league source, is friendly to the Jaguars if they decide to move on after the year because it contains no big bonuses or guarantees, thus not impacting their salary cap situation.

Babinís cap number is $4.625 million in 2013, followed by $6.475 million and $6.45 million. The combined signing/workout bonus next off-season is only $400,000.


So we are now 26m over the cap. Laughing
But like $14 million under our cap number for the year because we rolled over ~$40 million from last year.
_________________

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35157
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Quote:
This might not be a five-game move. Babin signed a five-year, $28.9 million contract with Philadelphia after the 2011 lockout.

The contract, according to a league source, is friendly to the Jaguars if they decide to move on after the year because it contains no big bonuses or guarantees, thus not impacting their salary cap situation.

Babinís cap number is $4.625 million in 2013, followed by $6.475 million and $6.45 million. The combined signing/workout bonus next off-season is only $400,000.


So we are now 26m over the cap. Laughing
But like $14 million under our cap number for the year because we rolled over ~$40 million from last year.


Was a joke, guess I swung and missed....but god dam at 7m a year (with bonuses) I don't think he stays.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group