Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade Cam Newton!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudson3010 wrote:
And please, stop saying hes immature and selfish, he has his own personality, hes just not like the traditional role model boring robots (peyton manning, luck, etc), and Im glad hes not

What exactly is his personality than? and you're saying you're glad our QB, our face of the franchise isn't a role model. That makes sense.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
AnotherFBallFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
hudson3010 wrote:
And please, stop saying hes immature and selfish, he has his own personality, hes just not like the traditional role model boring robots (peyton manning, luck, etc), and Im glad hes not

What exactly is his personality than? and you're saying you're glad our QB, our face of the franchise isn't a role model. That makes sense.

With all polite, due respect, YOU DON"T Make much sense--with this statement.

Cam doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't take drugs (as far as we know); he may not even cuss, he spends time with kids and works with various charities, etc.. Cam is also hard working, listens to his coaches, he's very attentive, and he doesn't bad mouth his teammates or his coaches no matter how bad they are. And WE know they've been bad. LOL. So how is he not a role model? When have you ever heard of Cam getting in any type of trouble as a Panther (until proven otherwise)?

Cam is not the first NFL player or quarterback that has his type of personality and traits (no matter what some in the media or internet trolls want you to believe). That doesn't make him a bad person, teammate or quarterback. That's what Hudson3010 meant. Cam is exactly what you want in your young quarterback/role model.

Please don't pay attention to the needless media BS and hoopla they try to create against Cam. Most of it is nonsense and has nothing to do with how good of a quarterback or teammate he'll be. It's all for ratings, and a complete double standard. You should know that.

Besides his performances, it all comes down to wins and losses (which is the only reason why he's being criticized by some of the folks that never liked him--cause the Panthers are losing). All that chatter is no biggie. And any fair minded NFL type knows it as such. And so should you.

Simple as that.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can't just erase 3 games from the record book and I'm not asking anyone do that. However, if you take away those 3 putrid games Newton had against NYG (top flight defense that embarrassed Rodgers), Seattle (elite secondary), and Chicago (turnover forcing machine), here is how he stacks up -

Newton (9 games):
QB Rating 102.3
CMP% 61.0
14 passing touchdowns (5.4 TD%)
5 interceptions (1.9 INT%)
Y/A 8.97

439 rushing yards
5.7 YPC
5 rushing touchdowns

Some of you seem to be eating all the junk the media is feeding you. Either your expectations were too high for a second year 22 year old quarterback (and admittedly, maybe mine were too originally) or you just didn't like him before the draft thus it'll take him going above and beyond to convince you otherwise, which is perfectly fair. However, Newton for all of his issues, still has not played nearly that bad this year. As a matter of fact, his QB Rating this year is higher than it was last year and his decision making continues to get better as the year wears on. So I see no reason why, in his second year after a string of great performances, we're actually discussing whether or not we need to get rid of Cam Newton in the foreseeable future. I'm all for discussion and who knows, maybe Newton just falls flat on his face someday, but it just seems to be Newton has a very, very short leash with a lot of people.

As far his personality, this is example of you listening too much of what the media is trying to tell you. And while I will not deny that Newton may need to mature or that he is arrogant, I also see nothing to believe that his character has been in any way detrimental to the squad and he's gotten better with it especially since the Dallas game. And it was noted in the game yesterday he went to all the positional groups at practice and apologized for his play and blamed himself for his lackluster performance.

At the end of the day though, people in the media will have an agenda (did you guys hear that story of a reporter on Twitter being caught in a lie when trying to say Newton was 40 minutes late to press conference and held up team bus?). So while that might be what you're already doing, I just beg of you not to establish your opinion off of what they say. This is the same media who, according to them, Andrew Luck already looks like an established 5 year veteran while Newton, with superior numbers across the board, is apparently teetering on bust status and has been a massive disappointment.

But I do agree. Newton needs to work on his accuracy. Check that, he needs to work on his footwork because it's directly tied to his accuracy. He's proven like in the first half yesterday he can make any throw any time. However, it is when his footwork goes to the gutter that you seem him missing a wide receiver screen. It's fixable but it'll take practice and a good quarterback/offensive coach who works with him throughout the offseason. I wonder what this says about our current coaching staff though - Newton's footwork looked a hell of a lot better last year after an offseason working with Weinke rather than an offseason working with Shula.

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.
Mad Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that commercial with Cam and "Nate" where the kid starts to loosen his arm up after becoming Cams mom's favorite player.
AnotherFBallFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
I know you can't just erase 3 games from the record book and I'm not asking anyone do that. However, if you take away those 3 putrid games Newton had against NYG (top flight defense that embarrassed Rodgers), Seattle (elite secondary), and Chicago (turnover forcing machine), here is how he stacks up -

Newton (9 games):
QB Rating 102.3
CMP% 61.0
14 passing touchdowns (5.4 TD%)
5 interceptions (1.9 INT%)
Y/A 8.97

439 rushing yards
5.7 YPC
5 rushing touchdowns

Some of you seem to be eating all the junk the media is feeding you. Either your expectations were too high for a second year 22 year old quarterback (and admittedly, maybe mine were too originally) or you just didn't like him before the draft thus it'll take him going above and beyond to convince you otherwise, which is perfectly fair. However, Newton for all of his issues, still has not played nearly that bad this year. As a matter of fact, his QB Rating this year is higher than it was last year and his decision making continues to get better as the year wears on. So I see no reason why, in his second year after a string of great performances, we're actually discussing whether or not we need to get rid of Cam Newton in the foreseeable future. I'm all for discussion and who knows, maybe Newton just falls flat on his face someday, but it just seems to be Newton has a very, very short leash with a lot of people.

As far his personality, this is example of you listening too much of what the media is trying to tell you. And while I will not deny that Newton may need to mature or that he is arrogant, I also see nothing to believe that his character has been in any way detrimental to the squad and he's gotten better with it especially since the Dallas game. And it was noted in the game yesterday he went to all the positional groups at practice and apologized for his play and blamed himself for his lackluster performance.

At the end of the day though, people in the media will have an agenda (did you guys hear that story of a reporter on Twitter being caught in a lie when trying to say Newton was 40 minutes late to press conference and held up team bus?). So while that might be what you're already doing, I just beg of you not to establish your opinion off of what they say. This is the same media who, according to them, Andrew Luck already looks like an established 5 year veteran while Newton, with superior numbers across the board, is apparently teetering on bust status and has been a massive disappointment.

But I do agree. Newton needs to work on his accuracy. Check that, he needs to work on his footwork because it's directly tied to his accuracy. He's proven like in the first half yesterday he can make any throw any time. However, it is when his footwork goes to the gutter that you seem him missing a wide receiver screen. It's fixable but it'll take practice and a good quarterback/offensive coach who works with him throughout the offseason. I wonder what this says about our current coaching staff though - Newton's footwork looked a hell of a lot better last year after an offseason working with Weinke rather than an offseason working with Shula.

The only thing Cam really needs is a good coaching staff.

He's played well enough to win in 10 out of the Panthers 12 games. And if Ron Rivera and Staff didn't blow 3-4 impossible games to blow in the last minute (after Cam had already given them those 4th quarter leads/comebacks), the Panthers could/should be 7-5. That's not Cam's fault.

Luck is playing OK. Nothing extraordinary statistically in comparison to Cam last or this year. And Griffith, gets incredible play calling from the Shanahan's, where 75-80% of the play calling are trick plays off the play action or read option (and of course he has a very good running back to do this with), which is almost like a 3 Card Monty game in the backfield. When it's not a trick play in the backfield it's usually a short or quick one read/zone throw to a particular area of the field (cause your still looking in the backfield). That is a quarterback that is being helped Greatly by his coaches. Luck is being helped, cause his coaches give him as much reps as possible (including blow out, they don't take him out), by making sure he always gets the ball and more possessions. You give Rivera a 14 pt lead in the 1st Quarter and he's happy, and will sit on the ball until the other team scores and it's too late. Rivera is not developing Cam properly this way, cause he plays not to lose on both offense and defense, and this is directly related to Cam's and the offense touches, statistics, wins and reputation (like some of you).

The irony is, I've seen both those quarterbacks play terrible (Luck, etc.) or unimpressive (Griffin, Wilson, etc.), and they still win. If that was Cam with the Panthers, he's guaranteed to lose cause he has to play an almost perfect game to win (and for some fans in general), cause usually he gets no help from his coaching, defense, rushing attack or special teams. Those guys do. And every quarterback misses or makes bad throws. That's not unique to Cam. Hey, I saw both Eli and Griffin miss people tonight, several times. Despite the fact that Cam throws down the field on a bad team, I'm sure if his offensive line was a little better, his completion % would be higher. What do you think? A bad line can do that, even in the moments you have a window to throw in, because your still gun shy from the previous collapsing pocket or lanes. You notice/remember when the protection was better the first few games of the year, cam had a 60+ to 70% completion %? I wouldn't worry so much about his accuracy. It's a natural progression. It would also help if Cam had taller receivers to throw to (like big wide outs and tight ends--like the two he had last year as successful bail outs and check downs).

I think what people fail to understand about Cam is (as you noted), he'll probably end up with similar or even better numbers this year compared to last year. And of course the Panthers would have competed till the end in most of his games, instead of getting blown out like truly bad teams (knock on wood).

Some people may come to the conclusion "Cam is not clutch'. But anyone who watches the games know that Cam is not even given a chance, cause where it's a given that the other young quarterbacks get competent coaching, playing calling, preparation and full team effort, Cam does not.

Ron Rivera is the worst coach in the NFL. And I felt this way about him last year, despite Cam's rookie season. So I'm not a newcomer to his pitchfork party. I was there last year from the Minnesota and New Orleans games at home (and others). That did it for me.

I don't think RG3 could survive a day with Chud and the pass rush Cam deals with in 2012. And I'm not sure Luck could do any better (considering his near bottom QB rating), maybe worse.

Once Chud got rid of that terrible read option and went back to a proset and under center (as they did mostly last year), you notice "Whala" Cam's numbers look good again, along with Cam audibles. I still can't believe Chud didn't want his quarterback to audible his plays cause he felt they were so golden and shouldn't be changed. This staff is clueless and can't leave soon enough. And unfortunately, they've stained Cam with their own incredible futility, loser reputation and track record (even for some Panther fans).

However, I'm very confident that Cam (based off of all that I've discussed and that Cam had to go/be through), he's well on his way--if he keeps it up, being an exceptional NFL quarterback.

Let's wish him luck and a good rest of the season (cause the team 'ain't going nowhere--LOL). Be happy with what you got Panther fans. You already got a/the Big Chip in the High Stakes NFL poker game of the future. Congrats!

Last edited by AnotherFBallFan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Newton had a couple really nice runs in the second half out of the zone read. But, if you'll notice, it was because the plays were well set up from earlier in the game and were the exception, not the rule. We ran it a limited number of times, which is what let it work so well. That's when I'm ok with them running the zone read.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Actually, Newton had a couple really nice runs in the second half out of the zone read. But, if you'll notice, it was because the plays were well set up from earlier in the game and were the exception, not the rule. We ran it a limited number of times, which is what let it work so well. That's when I'm ok with them running the zone read.

Agreed. None of this, two thirds of our running game jazz that they were doing in the beginning.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
haggis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Cam Newton! Reply with quote

marshall413 wrote:
Please for the Football trade Cam Newton and package him with Ron Rivera. They could get so much for Newton and actually win instead of having a QB who puts up stats, celebrates when HE does good, but never wins.

#getridofcam

Not gonna happen...now will he resign with Carolina in 2 years? that will be seen
Mad Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Cam Newton! Reply with quote

haggis wrote:
marshall413 wrote:
Please for the Football trade Cam Newton and package him with Ron Rivera. They could get so much for Newton and actually win instead of having a QB who puts up stats, celebrates when HE does good, but never wins.

#getridofcam

Not gonna happen...now will he resign with Carolina in 2 years? that will be seen

They won't be paying him $25,000,000 per year for the option.
panattack86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wont be traded and will resign. if not we can tag him 2 times so we really have another 4 years with the guy. he is putting up solid number. his decision making has vastly improved from his rookie year, and if you put most starting QB's under the amount of pocket pressure hes faced this year, their footwork would suffer as well. look at eli's first few seasons in NY for one example. His struggles are coming from chud not allowing him to audible in the beginning of the season and running the damn option so much. instead of establishing the run and going to the option later in the game in certain situations. The panthers take 75% of the snaps from shotgun, which is horrid. we need more 2 te sets and more playaction.

OP is out of his/her mind to think of trading him at this point in his career.
Panthersin12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held off of this topic because of its absurd nature and the fact that it was posted by a newbie... Probably just trolling for a reaction.

However...

You never trade your franchise QB

If we did the asking price would be too high for any team.

Given the fact that he is proven, improving, media friendly and plays probably the most valuable position in sports.... The value would be somewhere along the lines of 2 years worth of draft picks 1-3 and a couple starters.

It's too damn hard to find a franchise QB and we've got the youngest of the bunch.

I was not a cam fan coming into it (in part because I'm a gamecocks fan) but we are lucky enough, despite the current turmoil, to be at the most exciting period in panthers franchise history. The only time I can ever really remember having the feeling that we could really be contenders for the next 10-15 years.

And you never trade that.
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want us to trade him but he has to be taken down a notch or two. Love him wanting to win but the team must come first.

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
haggis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the real question is if the panthers only win 6 games next year can you reasonably say a QB with a winning game record of 18-36 worth $25m a year?

I am not sure I can justify paying 100-125m for 6 win seasons. I know it isn't entirely his fault but he has single handedly lost games.

Sidenote...would you rather trade Cam for a few draft picks and get Johnny Manziel in 2 years...timing is pretty good
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haggis wrote:
Well the real question is if the panthers only win 6 games next year can you reasonably say a QB with a winning game record of 18-36 worth $25m a year?

I am not sure I can justify paying 100-125m for 6 win seasons. I know it isn't entirely his fault but he has single handedly lost games.

Sidenote...would you rather trade Cam for a few draft picks and get Johnny Manziel in 2 years...timing is pretty good

...stop trying so hard. It's pathetic.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I honestly don't know what to say.

Is there any quarterback as not wanted by his own fanbase as Cam Newton is? Well, any quarterback that is actually good (to excluding the Sanchez's of the world)? Maybe Romo. But man, trading Newton AND picks for Johnny Manziel? Probably the most laughable "idea" I've read with all due respect.

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: