Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Pro Bowl Tracker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Ravens Pro Bowl Tracker Reply with quote

I don't think the Pro Bowl means much at all but it's interesting to follow. There was one thing that the Ravens official site tweeted today that really surprised me though.

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

The Ravens have 6 players currently leading Pro Bowl voting for their positions, including CB Cary Williams.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

These are the other guys leading their positions:

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

FB Vonta Leach, KR Jacoby Jones, DT Haloti Ngata, CB Cary Williams, SS Bernard Pollard & FS Ed Reed are all leading Pro Bowl voting.

Nothing too surprising there although Pollard seems to get a lot more hype than I thought he did (not that he doesn't deserve it).
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Our 23rd ranked pass defense has 3 of our 4 starters in the secondary leading the pro bowl voting. The one thats missing is actually our best secondary player, but is on IR. This just proves that Pro Bowls mean nothing. Cary Williams and Pro Bowl don't even belong in the same sentence.

GO RAVENS!!
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing
Our 23rd ranked pass defense has 3 of our 4 starters in the secondary leading the pro bowl voting. The one thats missing is actually our best secondary player, but is on IR. This just proves that Pro Bowls mean nothing. Cary Williams and Pro Bowl don't even belong in the same sentence.

I think that number is overblown. We play bend but don't break. We'll give you the dink-and-dunk stuff all day but you aren't getting the big play on us.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

I think that number is overblown. We play bend but don't break. We'll give you the dink-and-dunk stuff all day but you aren't getting the big play on us.

Don't look now but we're now #7 in scoring defense and tied for #9 in yards per play (T-15 in passing yards per attempt and #9 in rushing yards per attempt).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Pro Bowl. All you need is to get hyped by the media in one season to be considered for the rest of your career.
Williams is basically our DeAngelo Hall.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermore wrote:
I love the Pro Bowl. All you need is to get hyped by the media in one season to be considered for the rest of your career.
Williams is basically our DeAngelo Hall.

Soooo true lol. I feel like Justin Tucker should be the pro bowl kicker. He is the man IMO.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Don't look now but we're now #7 in scoring defense and tied for #9 in yards per play (T-15 in passing yards per attempt and #9 in rushing yards per attempt).

Certainly helps that we've had a chance to play the Browns, the Raiders, a Chargers offense with no OL, and the Steelers with Byron Leftwich at QB... all in recent weeks.

I'm still not convinced that this defense is as good as it has looked the past few weeks. I'll wait until we play a for real squad like the Steelers with Big Ben and the Broncos led by Manning.

Either way, what in the world are the voters thinking to vote in Cary Williams?? I wouldn't even vote for him as a homer vote... I almost feel like we're being trolled right now.

The guy gets constantly abused for times in games, but makes big time interceptions to seal the game... so sportcenter fans think he must be good... that's the only possible logic I can fathom.

I mean he's been better as of late since Pees has allowed him to be more aggressive in coverage, but still... not probowl worthy. Perhaps its because all the injuries to AFC corners has really destroyed what people see as the usual suspects... and now they're just going off team defense prestige... have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Or make sure not to look at our league fewest passing TDs allowed so far this season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Certainly helps that we've had a chance to play the Browns, the Raiders, a Chargers offense with no OL, and the Steelers with Byron Leftwich at QB... all in recent weeks.

I'm still not convinced that this defense is as good as it has looked the past few weeks. I'll wait until we play a for real squad like the Steelers with Big Ben and the Broncos led by Manning.

Either way, what in the world are the voters thinking to vote in Cary Williams?? I wouldn't even vote for him as a homer vote... I almost feel like we're being trolled right now.

The guy gets constantly abused for times in games, but makes big time interceptions to seal the game... so sportcenter fans think he must be good... that's the only possible logic I can fathom.

I mean he's been better as of late since Pees has allowed him to be more aggressive in coverage, but still... not probowl worthy. Perhaps its because all the injuries to AFC corners has really destroyed what people see as the usual suspects... and now they're just going off team defense prestige... have no idea.

I mean, we also faced the Eagles when they still had it together, the Pats, the Texans, the Cowboys and other good/decent offenses (Bengals, maybe), which all get factored into those numbers. Everyone faces some good teams and some bad teams. I'm not trying to pimp them, but they certainly aren't bottom 5 and reports of their demise may have been a bit premature. That's all I'm saying.

numerous other teams that are in those rankings, being compared to the Ravens, have had the opportunity to the Jacksonvilles, Cutler-less Bears, Cardinals, etc. who the Ravens haven't had the chance to beat up on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

He's among the AFC leader in INTs - my guess is people go "Oh, Revis is hurt.. I dunno then, who has a lot of INTs? Oh, this Cary Williams guy? AND he's on the Ravens? Sure, why not?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

I mean, we also faced the Eagles when they still had it together, the Pats, the Texans, the Cowboys and other good/decent offenses (Bengals, maybe), which all get factored into those numbers. Everyone faces some good teams and some bad teams. I'm not trying to pimp them, but they certainly aren't bottom 5 and reports of their demise may have been a bit premature. That's all I'm saying.

numerous other teams that are in those rankings, being compared to the Ravens, have had the opportunity to the Jacksonvilles, Cutler-less Bears, Cardinals, etc. who the Ravens haven't had the chance to beat up on.

I'm not arguing statistics here. I'm arguing quality. I know enough to know that our defense isn't bottom 5 without the stats... but just how good IS this defense really? I'm not convinced that we're some top 10 unit that's just starting to get it together and so the numbers don't reflect our ability. I'm moreso convinced that we're still the same mediocre middle of the pack defense... and against a solid offense, and not four inept units, we will actually look mediocre. This is the point in the season where identities are established.

Our stats aren't telling us any kind of story here. We've been a horrific unit against the 3rd down until we started playing terrible units... did the back finally heal itself... or is this simply the Icy/Hot effect we're seeing right now? I could care less about stats at this point in the season. I want to know what we have... I want to know the quality of this unit. Is Dean Pees not the worst defensive coordinator of the past decade really? Is he really not worse than Greg Mattison? Might he actually be half decent and just needed some time to get his system rolling? These are important questions for what kind of chances I think this team has to make a splash come playoff time. These questions are also important in determining if Pees has a job next season. Perhaps he's not Darth Pees after all... or maybe he's only trolling us since we're playing bad squads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
He's among the AFC leader in INTs - my guess is people go "Oh, Revis is hurt.. I dunno then, who has a lot of INTs? Oh, this Cary Williams guy? AND he's on the Ravens? Sure, why not?"

Exactly.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23rd in pass defense, but #1 in our hearts! Laughing

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Integrity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

This would be my guess as well.

In regards to our defense getting better, does anyone remember when we switched to the 3-4 the first year under Mike Nolan? Our defense sucked the first half of the year and then slowly started getting their act together. By year two, they were right back at the top of the league in defense. I'm not saying Dean Pees is the next Mike Nolan. I'm just pointing out the fact that it takes time to become accustomed to a new defensive scheme. Sure, we can question the quality of the offenses we've faced recently, but I feel pretty confident that our defense is starting to turn that corner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Laughing Laughing

I'm not arguing statistics here. I'm arguing quality. I know enough to know that our defense isn't bottom 5 without the stats... but just how good IS this defense really? I'm not convinced that we're some top 10 unit that's just starting to get it together and so the numbers don't reflect our ability. I'm moreso convinced that we're still the same mediocre middle of the pack defense... and against a solid offense, and not four inept units, we will actually look mediocre. This is the point in the season where identities are established.

Our stats aren't telling us any kind of story here. We've been a horrific unit against the 3rd down until we started playing terrible units... did the back finally heal itself... or is this simply the Icy/Hot effect we're seeing right now? I could care less about stats at this point in the season. I want to know what we have... I want to know the quality of this unit. Is Dean Pees not the worst defensive coordinator of the past decade really? Is he really not worse than Greg Mattison? Might he actually be half decent and just needed some time to get his system rolling? These are important questions for what kind of chances I think this team has to make a splash come playoff time. These questions are also important in determining if Pees has a job next season. Perhaps he's not Darth Pees after all... or maybe he's only trolling us since we're playing bad squads.

Not trying to say that we're an awesome unit that is getting it together necessarily, just saying that we're not really be as bad as we all seemed to think we were. Yes, statistics don't tell the full story and we're coming off a string of games in which we should have performed well. That being said, being so spoiled for the last decade with great defenses year-after-year may have inflated our expectations, so I think there is some value in looking at the numbers to see where we rank in various defensive metrics compared to other teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: