Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rex Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Rex is doing nothing be delaying the inevitable. Were not going to be a playoff team next year either. Rex is not a good HC and really has embarrassed this organization a lot in the past two seasons. If you just listen to this guy in the post game press conference I cant understand why anyone in their right mind what want him to stay. So Revis will stay? So LaRon will stay? Not a good enough reason. IDC about his playoff wins. If INDY doesn't basically throw the game in 09 we dont even get in. Ive never seen a more undisciplined football team or a coach soo stubborn to stick with terrible players that are hurting us and refuses to sit them. I have never wanted a coach fired more then I want Rex gone. This guy is NOT "a leader of man", hes a rambling idiot whose lost control of the locker room yet again this year. Wait till we lose to ARI or JAX.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought NYJ would be a possible landing spot for Chip Kelly since he is from the North East. However, rumors are he has spoken to Philly so that possibility dwindles in my ind.

Sig bet
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what type of GM is going to come in here and not want to pick his HC?
richie jets

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
So what type of GM is going to come in here and not want to pick his HC?
if they promote bradaway and keep Rex , I'm done ill start watching Canadian football!!! Maybe cross over to the giants after 30 years of hating them
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem really begins with the owner, who as a newcomer to the NFL likes to believe there's not much to know, and it can be run just like Johnson and Johnson. Remember the trip to Wall Street by the FO last year to be "mentored" by business leaders, or the character camp they went to in NJ? That's straight out of the handbook of corporate America.

The owner then falls in love with all these other newcomer, out-of the box types (Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Mike Tannenbaum, and Rex to some extent) because after all, what's to know? Experience, Pfft..

The issue now is the Jet's have a clueless owner, a Sports Lawyer/ Accountant as a GM, and a Head Coach who's sees everything from the prism of the Defensive side of the ball, and is not up to the task of managing the overall personell of the team. This Offense has been allowed to become so atrocious that no matter how many resources and effort they pour into the Defense, it doesn't matter, because when the Offense can't achieve more than a handfull of first downs a game, the Defense in turn suffers, the players get reckless and desperate, and the turnovers happen.

The Jets have to take a hard look at the dynamic of they're organization. They need somebody in the FO to have final say over personell beyond Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan, who only answers to Woody. Rex should stay, and work on rebuilding his program. He appears to have a few pieces in place on Defense, anyways. He needs to be able to admit to himself he's not ready to call all the shots in a franchise yet though, and leave some of the macro issues of the franchise to sombody more experienced who doesn't also carry the burden of coaching.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
For anyone that knows Tony Pauline of Sports Illustrated and his work, he's very accurate when it comes to offseason news around the NFL...

I always ask him questions about what he hears and he had this to say:

Quote:
Just got off the phone with someone that's provided me with a ton of first rate info in the past...the quote? "Word is Tannenbaum is out but they will likely keep Ryan"...

I remember you posting a lot of his stuff during the offseason.

That's what I expected and probably the best move. Rex hasn't done a good job this year, but he doesn't deserved to be fired yet.

I agree.

Firing Tanny will send a big message to everyone. Make Rex really feel it's a do or die season next year. I just hope the new GM improves the roster so Rex wouldn't have an excuse.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex thinks hes like a superstar at finding talent and making his defense top 5 no matter whose out there. I dont want Rex to have ANY say in personel or in the draft if we keep him. I still think theres no point in keeping him and still think its delaying the inevitable. We going 7-9 next year best case playing the AFC North and NFC South. Just let the new coach infuse young talent and go in with low expectations as they should be. If we keep Rex were going to try and make the playoffs at all cost further hindering the future yet again. Were a bad team, we dont need to just retool, we need an overhaul.

teamorange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
The Jets are making a huge mistake if they were to let Rex go.

Is he the best coach in the NFL? Absolutely not, but the fact of the matter is that his record as a HC is 32-27 as a HC (not including his 4-2 playoff record).

What the Jets need most is continuity. Hasn't anyone noticed what this team has become over the years? The longest tenured Head Coach since Ewbank was Joe Walton from 1983-1989. If he had over 100 games, Rex should get at minimum 80 games, exactly what Herm had.

Rex Ryan has the 2nd best winning percentage in New York Jets history behind Bill Parcells (including Al Groh he'd be 3rd, but he coached only 1 season), and has the most playoff appearances and wins in Jets coaching history.

I'm one of the biggest Jet fans out there, but the large majority of Jet fans are idiots, as is our owner. Being a first time head coach is not easy, it takes time...

This is why I respect teams like the Bears, Bengals, and Texans. Despite media and fan outcry, they stick with what they have through better or worse.

The Jets are very much like the Bears. Rex Ryan is not the best head coach in the NFL, but he coaches a hell of a defense. Both coaches believe in the same offensive strategy, but it took Lovie YEARS (really this year) until the Bears actually had a good offense. The team acknowledged this, changed the GM, added talent to the offense, and now they're poised to be one of the top teams in the NFL over the next few years.

Now look at Houston. Hired rookie HC Gary Kubiak who specialized in offense. He had 5 years of mediocre coaching, but the team acknowledged defense was the problem. They hired a good DC, added loads of talent on defense via free agency and the draft, and now they're one of the best teams in football.

The Jets do have something good right now, but they need to find a way to put the talent on the field plain and simple.

ekill08x wrote:
Your clearly NOT paying attention to detail whatsoever if you can sit here and say Rex is a good coach and it would be a mistake to let him go. We are loud obnoxious, talk and dont back it up, play with no discipline, NEVER make halftime adjustments or any in game adjustments, often come out very flat, have had more 12 man on the field penalties then i have ever seen, hes let his team run their mouths and not be held accountable for it, he can't manage the clock, he has no idea what to do with his offense, he drafts like an idiot, and his defenses can never get us the big stop. Hes a terrible HC and hes a huge part of our problem. This guy is NEVER winning a super bowl, especially if he has control in building the team.

Jets are in top 10 in every statistic in terms of penalties...... I haven't been able to find "12 men on the field" sort but in "others" catagory we are 9th. So we are actually a more disciplined team believe it or not
green24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Sanchez is a back up QB
Greene change of pace back
Kerley decent slot reciever ...that is on pace for nearly 1,000 yards
Hill stinks, needs alot of improvement raw, as expected
Gates lol terrible
Schilens no seperation at all, can catch though.
Keller Terrible blocker but good recieving tight end.
Ferguson- underperformed this year but as of late doing decent was underperforming for the first few games, but he's been fine since
Slauson- sucks mediocre
Mangold- great
Moore- old but okay guard [/b]not very okay anymore[/b]
Howard- young but below average right now

Wilkerson- Best defensive player right now but in the league i would say hes a slightly above average starter Wilk is better than that. PFF has him rated as the #2 3-4 DE in the NFL.
Pouha- overrated, he really is. He's had an injury-filled season. Hopefully, none of this was caused by age. He was underrated until this season.
Coples- not enough playing time
Pace- old and average at best below average
Harris- above average starter would look 10000x better if he wasn't playing next to Scott, Pace, and BT
Scott- terrible..
BT- below average somehow leads the teams in sacks... sad...
Wilson- alright decent enough to play slot
Cromartie- playing very well 2nd or 3rd best player on the team
Landry- also playing great Had a rough first two games and isn't good in coverage, but he's been solid. I'd love to see him play next to a true FS.
Bell- Cant cover for his life but can tackle he's been a nice asset

You also left out Demario Davis, who should be starting for us. I like his future.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
The Jets are making a huge mistake if they were to let Rex go.

Is he the best coach in the NFL? Absolutely not, but the fact of the matter is that his record as a HC is 32-27 as a HC (not including his 4-2 playoff record).

What the Jets need most is continuity. Hasn't anyone noticed what this team has become over the years? The longest tenured Head Coach since Ewbank was Joe Walton from 1983-1989. If he had over 100 games, Rex should get at minimum 80 games, exactly what Herm had.

Rex Ryan has the 2nd best winning percentage in New York Jets history behind Bill Parcells (including Al Groh he'd be 3rd, but he coached only 1 season), and has the most playoff appearances and wins in Jets coaching history.

I'm one of the biggest Jet fans out there, but the large majority of Jet fans are idiots, as is our owner. Being a first time head coach is not easy, it takes time...

This is why I respect teams like the Bears, Bengals, and Texans. Despite media and fan outcry, they stick with what they have through better or worse.

The Jets are very much like the Bears. Rex Ryan is not the best head coach in the NFL, but he coaches a hell of a defense. Both coaches believe in the same offensive strategy, but it took Lovie YEARS (really this year) until the Bears actually had a good offense. The team acknowledged this, changed the GM, added talent to the offense, and now they're poised to be one of the top teams in the NFL over the next few years.

Now look at Houston. Hired rookie HC Gary Kubiak who specialized in offense. He had 5 years of mediocre coaching, but the team acknowledged defense was the problem. They hired a good DC, added loads of talent on defense via free agency and the draft, and now they're one of the best teams in football.

The Jets do have something good right now, but they need to find a way to put the talent on the field plain and simple.

ekill08x wrote:
Your clearly NOT paying attention to detail whatsoever if you can sit here and say Rex is a good coach and it would be a mistake to let him go. We are loud obnoxious, talk and dont back it up, play with no discipline, NEVER make halftime adjustments or any in game adjustments, often come out very flat, have had more 12 man on the field penalties then i have ever seen, hes let his team run their mouths and not be held accountable for it, he can't manage the clock, he has no idea what to do with his offense, he drafts like an idiot, and his defenses can never get us the big stop. Hes a terrible HC and hes a huge part of our problem. This guy is NEVER winning a super bowl, especially if he has control in building the team.

Jets are in top 10 in every statistic in terms of penalties...... I haven't been able to find "12 men on the field" sort but in "others" catagory we are 9th. So we are actually a more disciplined team believe it or not

Very surprising statistic but I believe you. Just doesn't seem like it sometimes.

JETSsuperbowl43

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex isn't going anywhere after this year, he still has a year left on his contract. I think they'll rebuild the roster and re-evaluate once his contract is up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:
Rex isn't going anywhere after this year, he still has a year left on his contract. I think they'll rebuild the roster and re-evaluate once his contract is up.

That literally means nothing. Coaches always get fired with remaining years on their contracts.

jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:

That literally means nothing. Coaches always get fired with remaining years on their contracts.

Woody is cheap. If he fires Rex and Tanny he has to pay them for 2 years, plus a new GM and HC for those two years as well. They might get one more year then Sanchez's contract will be up and the 3 leave town.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
JETSsuperbowl43 wrote:

How many of them get fired at 6-10 or 7-9 which I feel like we will be by the end of this season. That too after never having previously had a losing season. Advancing deep in the playoffs 2 of his seasons. And having lost his best defensive and possibly one of his best offensive players for the season in said 6-10 or 7-9 season.

Not to mention never having had a losing record prior to this season.

If someone deserves to go it is Tanny. Rex has not been nearly as bad as you would suggest. Sure hes had his issues but he is still a solid coach and unless we go after a previous superbowl winning headcoach the remaining coaches are bigger question marks then Rex.

Look at our remaining games

Arizona (Should Win)
Jacksonville (Should Win)
Tennessee (Should Win, but we do have trouble with fast shift backs)
San Diego (Expect to lose this one but with how Rivers has played this season anythings possible)
Buffalo (50-50 in my mind)

Looking at the remaining schedule ... we probably will end up at worst 6-10 which is not a record you fire a coach for given previous success and current predicament team is in in terms of talent and lost players.

Hell by some miracle we could even be 8-8 in which case its would be stupidity to fire him. Just because the medias job is to kick up a [inappropriate/removed] storm doesn't mean we need to fire a solid coach due to it.

Please name the last coach that was fired in a similar situation to Rex? Cant think of any terminated contracts on coaches with such a situation.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
The problem really begins with the owner, who as a newcomer to the NFL likes to believe there's not much to know, and it can be run just like Johnson and Johnson. Remember the trip to Wall Street by the FO last year to be "mentored" by business leaders, or the character camp they went to in NJ? That's straight out of the handbook of corporate America.

The owner then falls in love with all these other newcomer, out-of the box types (Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Mike Tannenbaum, and Rex to some extent) because after all, what's to know? Experience, Pfft..

The issue now is the Jet's have a clueless owner, a Sports Lawyer/ Accountant as a GM, and a Head Coach who's sees everything from the prism of the Defensive side of the ball, and is not up to the task of managing the overall personell of the team. This Offense has been allowed to become so atrocious that no matter how many resources and effort they pour into the Defense, it doesn't matter, because when the Offense can't achieve more than a handfull of first downs a game, the Defense in turn suffers, the players get reckless and desperate, and the turnovers happen.

The Jets have to take a hard look at the dynamic of they're organization. They need somebody in the FO to have final say over personell beyond Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan, who only answers to Woody. Rex should stay, and work on rebuilding his program. He appears to have a few pieces in place on Defense, anyways. He needs to be able to admit to himself he's not ready to call all the shots in a franchise yet though, and leave some of the macro issues of the franchise to sombody more experienced who doesn't also carry the burden of coaching.
Agreed with most of this. Well said

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: