Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Blaine Gabbert start next year?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Jags_Longhorns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Blaine Gabbert Reply with quote

Well, do you guys think that he'll be starting next year?
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely at this point.

Either Henne is going to play well and either 1. win us enough games to not be able to get a QB or 2. make the coaching staff confident enough in him to give him a year to play. Or he will play poorly enough that we'll get an early draft pick that will likely be used to get ourselves a QB.

If I were to guess:
50% chance Henne is the starter next year
45% chance of a new QB
5% chance Gabbert

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I dont see him starting unless, Henne struggles like Gabbert did these last few games, we put ourselves out of the running for a franchise guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hes done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
charles shelton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's possible he does..here's my logic..

watching henne for the remainder of this season will be a good learning experience for gabbert. i think he will benefit from that experience next offseason. since i believe he has better physical tools than henne, i'd expect gabbert to win the job if he can overcome his other deficiencies.

of course...this is assuming we don't take a qb in the 1st round.

-charles
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a fair shot to beat Henne, and he wins easily.

I'm not against bringing in a guy outside the first with upside (FSU's quarterback for instance), but I don't see Blaine not taking back what's his through recovery, progression and just plain being a better quarterback than Henne.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave up on him in less than 2 years.

Why? Because Jaguars.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
sadjag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Why? Because Jaguars.
Why? because he was the worst QB in the league the entire time he started. The progression he made this year was minimal he still played pretty horribly. we were 1-9 for God's sake.
For the record I'm not saying we should cut him. Let him be the backup for a year or two and if that point if we still don't have a decent QB let him start and see if he's progressed.

The fact is this team has looked great with a below avg. QB the last two weeks. What does that say about Gabbert?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Why? Because Jaguars.
Why? because he was the worst QB in the league the entire time he started. The progression he made this year was minimal he still played pretty horribly. we were 1-9 for God's sake.
For the record I'm not saying we should cut him. Let him be the backup for a year or two and if that point if we still don't have a decent QB let him start and see if he's progressed.
The progress he made also happens to be the same progress that Eli Manning made. Drew Brees was so bad his first two years that his team finished with the worst record in the NFL and chose a QB to replace him. I know this is a time when people want instant success, but it doesn't always happen. And this is coming from someone who has been since the day he was drafted against Gabbert.

Quote:
The fact is this team has looked great with a below avg. QB the last two weeks. What does that say about Gabbert?
Henne's performance the past two weeks has been far from below average. To put those two games into perspective, if he were to play like that over the course of a 16 game season, his numbers would look like:
264/472 55.9% 4,920 yards 10.4YPA, 48TDs, 8INTs, 118.9 Passer Rating - it would be one of the greatest seasons for a QB in NFL history. So let's not try to pass off what Henne has done as below average, even if historically that's what he has been. It's all very possible that he just needed time to develop into a good QB. You know, like people have said about Gabbert....

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

I'm not against bringing in a guy outside the first with upside (FSU's quarterback for instance), but I don't see Blaine not taking back what's his through recovery, progression and just plain being a better quarterback than Henne.

For me, a 3-way camp-battle is the best way to move forward with this situation.

Sure, let Henne come in as the 'incumbent', but i want to see Gabbert get a shot in camp to see if he's improved further. I mean, he took some significant strides this offseason...if he takes another step of the same size...maybe he's not a writeoff. It's only been parts of 2 seasons.

But i do also want to see a 2nd/3rd round developmental QB brought in to the organization for the future. If the developmental guy can match Gabbert straight out the gate...i think we're at the point where Gabbert is officially history. I think that sort of kick in the pants though, 'Seattle Seahawks-style' could be just the thing to make Gabbert realize that he isn't just the starter by default. And if he shows he's worth keeping around...we just roll with an extra QB on the roster instead of like extra FBs or something dumb like that. Laughing
Conrad Buff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up on Gabbert is the right move honestly. The connection between Henne/Recievers is completely different from Gabbert/Recievers... Henne has been here for a year less than Gabbert and he can get the ball to our recievers. I think that we gave Gabbert enough time.

We should definitely draft a QB though... I don't know that we actually will though considering that we usually make surprise moves in the draft but we won't be a successful football team unless we draft a franchise QB or somehow obtain a franchise QB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henne will start next season and I think Blaine stays as the back-up and picks up things like he did this season. Blaine had the misfortune of not having time to learn the speed of the NFL behind our horrific OL. Henne is a vet and has learned the speed of the game over his career.

Blaine did a lot of better things this season compared to last season, I just think expectations for him were through the roof because of instant success of recent rookie QBs. And it's hard to believe but Blaines QB RTG is higher than Andrew Lucks. Not saying Blaine is better but he has shown significant improvement.

I believe Blaine will be the next Alex Smith. Maybe we can treat him better than the 9ers treated Alex earlier in his career, and he can take us to the same place the 9ers are now.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
Mr. V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

Please no. Manuel is really ssimilar to Gabbert and older. Keep developing Gabbert instead of drafting EJ.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

Please no. Manuel is really ssimilar to Gabbert and older. Keep developing Gabbert instead of drafting EJ.

it was more of just a guy, for instance. i'm not all that concerned with who comes in, but it's become time for a backup plan.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: