Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are we a marketable team?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buccaneer4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Are we a marketable team? Reply with quote

I dont like to talk about our attendance issues, but I was thinking and observing the other day and could a big reason why we dont sell out is cuz we dont have "marketable" players? You look around the stadium and people are still wearing there Lynch, Brooks, Selmon, Cadillac, Barber, with the exception of Ronde all these guys are not on the team anymore. The only guy thats on the team right now besides Ronde who is popular in jersey sales is Freeman. I think guys like Doug Martin, Lavonte David, Mark Barron, McCoy, Jackson all these guys are big time players that people outside of this forum might not know about. I personally dont buy jerseys cuz I never wear em unless im going to the game and they are $100. But thats just one reason why I ask if were a marketable team. What do you think?
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question...

I think that winning breeds marketability to an extent. You look at guys like Greg Jennings and Patrick Willis. These guys aren't particularly charismatic, but they are great talents on great football teams. These days you see them on various commercials all over the place.

Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis are just a different breed. The only guy on our team that could reach their level (in terms of production and marketability) is Gerald McCoy...and even then it's a stretch. Doug Martin is starting to get a lot of attention in interviews too.

This is a young football team that hasn't won much. As these guys get older and as this team progresses I think that you will see that marketability on a grander scale (ESPN, NFL Network, endorsements, etc.) grow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
It's an interesting question...

I think that winning breeds marketability to an extent. You look at guys like Greg Jennings and Patrick Willis. These guys aren't particularly charismatic, but they are great talents on great football teams. These days you see them on various commercials all over the place.

Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis are just a different breed. The only guy on our team that could reach their level (in terms of production and marketability) is Gerald McCoy...and even then it's a stretch. Doug Martin is starting to get a lot of attention in interviews too.

This is a young football team that hasn't won much. As these guys get older and as this team progresses I think that you will see that marketability on a grander scale (ESPN, NFL Network, endorsements, etc.) grow.

I think winning has a big part to do with it as well. When you really think about what have we dont since 2002? An early playoff exit in 05 and 07 and thats it. Thats not very good. However I think we are on the right track to consistency.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our next guy is Doug Martin IMO. He is already being mentioned as a top RB in the NFL.

Unfortunately for Freeman, he'll never get there unless he starts putting up 4500+ yards and 40 touchdown seasons. He is either seen as a game manager (2010) or someone who is a product of his wide receivers (2012).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Our next guy is Doug Martin IMO. He is already being mentioned as a top RB in the NFL.

Unfortunately for Freeman, he'll never get there unless he starts putting up 4500+ yards and 40 touchdown seasons. He is either seen as a game manager (2010) or someone who is a product of his wide receivers (2012).
I agree with this completely.

Freeman can make himself a house-hold name though if he leads Tampa into the playoffs and gets 1 upset win in the first round.

Regards to the OP, I do believe now we have players that are marketable. Its hard for fans to cheer for guys like Jerramy Stevens, Trueblood, Winslow, Talib, Blount even, and Clayton. Not only are they complete bone-heads but they don't sit well with the community b/c their actions off-field. That's why I'm glad Schiano came in here and tried to clean this whole ordeal. I think Lavonte David could be another guy along with Martin and McCoy he just needs to get splash plays(FF, INT's and sacks) for him to really get national spotlight. Home grown talent is the best way to win over a fan base. Mike Williams ruined it for himself when he had that awful 2nd year last year. Consistency is the only way to win people over.
mfw096

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Florida all my life till recently and I blame the economy and the people that move from up north to Florida. Unfortunately Florida is a northern state, but geographically southern. We are a marketable team and that's a fact as history shows we use to sell out every game, but the sad thing is to many people are sitting in their lazy boys to watch the game ( economy ) and to many people that move to sunny Florida are still repping their New York teams and what not. That's fine that they rep their home town team, but they should rep their new home town as well.

Just what I know and what I have seen.

By the way just look at the Rays games with all those Yankees and Red Sux fans....
Buccaneer4life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfw096 wrote:
I lived in Florida all my life till recently and I blame the economy and the people that move from up north to Florida. Unfortunately Florida is a northern state, but geographically southern. We are a marketable team and that's a fact as history shows we use to sell out every game, but the sad thing is to many people are sitting in their lazy boys to watch the game ( economy ) and to many people that move to sunny Florida are still repping their New York teams and what not. That's fine that they rep their home town team, but they should rep their new home town as well.

By the way just look at the Rays games with all those Yankees and Red Sux fans....

It is annoying to have to sit at the Bucs/Rays games knowing that your guna have the opposing teams obnoixous fans there. But if I moved to another city that has a team already I would still be repping the Bucs and only the Bucs. I cant have two teams. So I cant blame transplants from the northeast for not repping the Bucs as well. Thats just me. And I feel most people are that way as well, especially with football.
5nick5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buccaneer4life wrote:
mfw096 wrote:

It is annoying to have to sit at the Bucs/Rays games knowing that your guna have the opposing teams obnoixous fans there. But if I moved to another city that has a team already I would still be repping the Bucs and only the Bucs. I cant have two teams. So I cant blame transplants from the northeast for not repping the Bucs as well. Thats just me. And I feel most people are that way as well, especially with football.

I get where you're coming from. But you should always support your local teams. I plan to move to Denver in the future, and I'll always support my Bucs. But I'll still buy tickets to Broncos game and pull for them any Sunday they aren't playing the Bucs. For example this Sunday. If the Bucs were coming to town, I'd put on my Bucs jersey and head over to Mile-High, but every other time I'd be repping the Broncos.

In my personal opinion, you should always support your home team. The only exception could be if you moved to a division rival's city. If you move from Philly to Dallas, I don't expect you to pull for the Cowboys. But with a small-market team with attendance issues like the Bucs, some support would be nice. Then maybe the northern transplants would stop getting heckled at the games.

Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys have struggled for years. Yes you've started to turn it around but it's going to take sometime to get the fans back. Plus you're still only 6-6. Martin and Jackson are first year Bucs and Freeman and Williams have had up and down careers. As they continue to excel the ticket sales will pick up. I see no reason Doug Martin and Freeman won't keep the Bucs succesful for years to come and become very popular.

Also as a Rams fan we also have tons of fans in the stands with Faulk, Warner, Holt, Bruce, Little, Williams, Proehl and Pace jerseys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: