Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doing the Unthinkable - Trade Jared Allen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Doing the Unthinkable - Trade Jared Allen? Reply with quote

This year has been kind of a down year for Jared Allen, at least by his lofty standards. This has gotten me to thinking that maybe now might be the time to start thinking about trading him while he still has a lot of value. He isn't ancient yet, and is still thought of as one of the best defensive ends in the league.

The Vikings are in rebuild mode and have gotten younger at many positions, particularly on defense. If we could get about what we paid for him (a first and two third round picks) or maybe more, would it make sense to maybe get younger and move on?

This could also give us the opportunity to possibly switch to a 3-4 defense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have been done last offseason. They played him more than any other DE in the NFL last year, and are not really rotating him this year either. This decline is not really a surprise.

So, if you can deal him for a mid first, then use the money to sign a legit WR, you have gotten two good players for 1 declining player.

IMO.....he's declining. I expect most on this board to say no to this idea. He's a treat to watch, but his production is not worth the money.....they really need to commit to the rotation. NYG do it.....
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was largely against it last year and if this past month is any indication, MN may need to look for a new starting DE. Allen is simply not getting it done right now. He likely has little trade value too with that salary, his age, and his lack of production. Now I love Allen and maybe he is just going through a slump, if he cant bounce back MN will have to seriously think about moving him and making way for Everson Griffen and D'Aundre Reed.

Allen and the lack of a pass rush have been a problem the past month. This team should have had its way with the Bears Oline last week but Cutler had enough time to make the throws needed. If Allen can rebound and finish with 11-14 sacks, I dont see any point in getting rid of him. If Allen continues to disappoint the rest of the way, this needs to be something to consider.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid it. You pretty much nailed the reasons, too, UB; "he isn't ancient yet, and is still ... one of the best defensive ends in the league." Even in a traditional rebuild, I would not trade elite players hastily, and Allen absolutely is still one of the very best at his craft. We are so used to phenomenal seasons from him that we tend to jump the gun a little bit when he hits a mediocre slump. On top of all this, and perhaps even most importantly in my opinion, it is always important to have respected veterans on your team for the youngsters to learn from and feed off. I can't stress enough how important I think that is. A team full of youngsters has a slight athletic prowess and upside going for it, but it lacks the greatest teacher in all of sports - experience.

Peppers90 on the sig.
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd never get traded to the Pack, but I'd give up alot. First rd pick to start out with and go from there.

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way....the guy still has 7 sacks this year which really isnt terrible. He's not going to rattle off 22 sacks every year. Its just not realistic. And after a 22 sack season wouldnt you think teams would double him more? I just dont think its realistic or worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Should have been done last offseason. They played him more than any other DE in the NFL last year, and are not really rotating him this year either. This decline is not really a surprise.

So, if you can deal him for a mid first, then use the money to sign a legit WR, you have gotten two good players for 1 declining player.

IMO.....he's declining. I expect most on this board to say no to this idea. He's a treat to watch, but his production is not worth the money.....they really need to commit to the rotation. NYG do it.....

Should of done it last offseason??? What franchise would ever trade a guy that was .5 sacks away from the single season record? This will not happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try keeping him and sustaining as long as we could. He still is a great player with lots of potential, he is just slacking this year. All the greats have had off years. I say we pick up a DE early in the draft this year or next and prep him to slide into Allen's spot when we decide to trade him. At least, this is what I would do. The Vikings really need to go on some hardcore rebuilding, Atlanta Hawks style.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

Should of done it last offseason??? What franchise would ever trade a guy that was .5 sacks away from the single season record? This will not happen.

Allen had way more trade value last year. Now he's a year older, hasn't had the same kind of year, and his cap number is much bigger next year.

It might have made a lot of sense to trade Allen last year, depending on what was being offered in return. When you're 3-13 and need help at almost every position you should be open to possibilities at least. But all things considered, keeping Allen has turned out to be a good decision, because the season has turned out really well so far. Even a 7-9 record is much better than most people expected from this team, and it's much easier to gauge and develop young talent in a winning environment.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they trade him, they need to get a 1st round pick and another pick, otherwise it isn't worth it, and it is questionable if it is even worth it then. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but he'd have to come at the correct value.

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much the response I expected. IMO teams hold veterans too long, and do not get good value for them. when they keep him, they NEED to rotate him out more. The coaches really need to do a better job.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the time to move him this offseason.
The time to move his was last season.
The fact that he was 0.5 sacks off the record, should show that he was at his peak value. At the end of the day, we should have maxed out on his value to put into younger assets that can contribute to a potential contender down the line.

With the way things played out, I would keeo him and try and negotiate his salary downwards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unthinkable...we've discussed it before. Laughing

I was against it then and I'm against it now. I wouldn't trade him. If he wants to leave when his contract is up, so be it...but I wouldn't trade him.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we trade him, then:

1) I'd hope we can get back some great compensation. Maybe a 1st and a mid round pick (or future picks)

2) DE would become a priority, as we still need to rotate our DE's so they don't get burnt out. So with the extra 1st, grab a young DE?

3) We'd really have to make our defense a little more creative to find ways to get pressure, but outside Robison/Griffen, I don't think we even have that many versatile players.

I'm okay with it if we can meet those 3 points. Jared Allen is an elite player, and while he is having a down year, I don't think we should be so quick to dump him.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Trade back to Chiefs for 1st round pick in 2014 +

2) Chiefs get top 5 pick

3) Draft Jadeveon Clowny

4)???

5) Profit.

Obviously not going to happen ever. A man can dream.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: