Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garrett Overview 6 Years of Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Garrett Overview 6 Years of Data Reply with quote

See the attached from Bob Sturm. Very interesting. Have at it.

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It demonstrates that the 2012 Cowboys had the 52nd best season in Cowboys history in running the football. Technically, they had the worst rushing season in Cowboys history on a per-game basis, but the 1960 Cowboys finish last due to a 12 game season. Had they 16 weeks, we are reasonably sure that the '60 Cowboys might have been able to find 217 more yards on the ground.

Think about that. Of all of the Cowboys teams ever, you might have just witnessed the single worst year of rushing the ball. Brutal on every level.

Three things attributed to this:

1. Play-calling that abandoned the run. And Audibles that checked out of run plays (probably for the better, frankly).
2. An ineffective OL
3. Ineffective runners either because of skill level or injury.

Quote:
In fact, if you wish, the Cowboys seasons of running the football with Jason Garrett as the offensive architect rank 52nd, 35th, 37th, 20th, 42nd, and 40th in Cowboys history. That's right. His best season is only 20th best in the history of the franchise. And before you tell me it is because the league has changed to a passing league, explain this: The New England Patriots (perhaps the most pass-first team in the NFL, right?) have run the ball 398 more times than the Cowboys in the Garrett-era. And as you can see, 398 represents an entire season of Garrett rushing attempts. I will repeat: the Patriots have run an entire year's worth of rushing plays more than Garrett in 6 seasons.

Damn.

Quote:
That is right. 36 minutes and 36 seconds the entire year. This is a team that fell behind early almost every single home game. Why? Because their game-plan week after week was not working.

To a large extent, I agree.

Frankly, Redball calling plays has been painful. While I think at times the fans get caught up in the numbers and ignore the execution, I think that in terms of X's and O's - it's not a strength of his.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I new we where bad, but didn't think we where that bad!!!

Garrett the Offensive Coord SUX!!!!!!! Bring on the change!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1982 9 game season (year of the strike) had more rushing yards (almost 100 more) than our 16 game season!! Shocked

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
NYDC4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All jokes aside, Fix the f ing run game already. This ish is not funny( Evil or Very Mad ), for real. Sturm is beating the drum we fans already know, not the extent of the #'s. But I could tell from my own eyes our run game is pathetic and has been for quite awhile.

Sturm's article just puts the stamp on it. And it's embarrassing on JG's part.

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I new we where bad, but didn't think we where that bad!!!

Garrett the Offensive Coord SUX!!!!!!! Bring on the change!

Honestly, I don't think a change in OC or play caller makes a huge difference at this point. Not to defend Garrett, but there is a reason the team doesn't try to run the ball. It's a personnel thing. There must be a conscious effort to assemble a real offensive line which, to this point, has not been a primary Garrett focus.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To TO7's point an ineffective OL combined with ineffective RB's (after Murray went down) is going to equate to a lousy running game. And don't think for a moment that opposing defenses didn't know that a) we sucked at running, and b) we would abandon the run quickly. If this article by Sturm doesn't illustrate the crying need to upgrade the OL then nothing will.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
The 1982 9 game season (year of the strike) had more rushing yards (almost 100 more) than our 16 game season!! Shocked

Ouch.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the 6 yr overview is well, lets just say undesirable. Can't be changed, so I don't care. It's the moving forward part that concerns me. I've stood by Garrett for this coming season and could even go with another season after that, but I do wholeheartedly agree that things must change up front, in the running game and the play calling in general

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: