Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is your #1 choice in FA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want the most in FA?
Greg Jennings
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Dwayne Bowe
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Mike Wallace
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Henry Melton
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Terrance Knighton
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Randy Starks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Glen Dorsey
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Andy Levitre
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Daryl Smith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rey Maualuga
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other (Specify)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 43

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way. If the team is spending big money on a free agent WR that means the defense and offensive line will likely see cheaper starters via the draft. Whether or not the team has two $10M WRs vs 1, that is irrelevant to me as that money will have to be spent on a free agent anyway due to the spending requirements that I think teams have to abide to now. This year's draft seems much stronger at MLB and DT, I really am struggling to find a mid to late first round WR who can step in and be the #1 from day one. Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter will probably be top 15 picks if I had to guess. Bowe or Jennings can be that guy and it saves the team draft picks to use to build up a good young defense.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
To the people that want Jennings/Bowe/Wallace: Do you really want two $10,000,000 per year WRs (assuming they get a deal done with Harvin this off-season) for a run first offense?

That is the point though in adding a talented WR, this team doesnt have to be a run first offense. As long as they current receiving corps remains the same, nothing will change in terms of opening the offense up. If spending money is an alternative to improving the passing game, how can one be against that ?

I'm not against improving the passing game. I'm against using 1/6 of your salary cap for 2 players at the same position unless it was someone like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald paired with Harvin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson are recent indications, premier WRs who hit the free agent market dont seem likely to go to teams with established QBs that are playoff contenders. It seems these types go for the big payday and the Qb situation is largely irrelevant. Same deal with with Jennings and Bowe. Chances are a playoff team with a premier QB isnt going to spend big money on a free agent WR. Save it for a team who is more desperate trying to get by wit ha young QB.

I would put money on Greg Jennings going to the Dolphins. He knows the system, they will have money to spend, and Tannehill needs help.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
To the people that want Jennings/Bowe/Wallace: Do you really want two $10,000,000 per year WRs (assuming they get a deal done with Harvin this off-season) for a run first offense?

That is the point though in adding a talented WR, this team doesnt have to be a run first offense. As long as they current receiving corps remains the same, nothing will change in terms of opening the offense up. If spending money is an alternative to improving the passing game, how can one be against that ?

I'm not against improving the passing game. I'm against using 1/6 of your salary cap for 2 players at the same position unless it was someone like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald paired with Harvin.

But again, does it truly matter? If the team is spending a lot of money on its WRs, that means other positions will be occupied by cheaper rookies. Whether or not that $10M is spent on a WR, DT, LB or OG doesnt really matter in the end, it all goes to the same cap number.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Frankly, I'd be good if they signed any of those top 3 WRs.....and no, I'm not worried about 2 $10MM WRs, because the cap will keep going up, and young players are now cheap.

Indications are that the salary cap isn't going to increase much under the new CBA

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a1b370/article/flat-salary-cap-will-force-nfl-teams-to-restructure-rosters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I would probably take Dwayne Bowe, I dont see Mike Wallace as being realistically available. The Steelers wont let him go, they can franchise tag him. I dont get the same feeling about Bowe and the Chiefs. Id love Wallace dont get me wrong, but I think Bowe and even Greg Jennings are more likely.

Head over to the Steelers board. They think Wallace is as good as gone. They have reports of being $25M over next years cap.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:

But again, does it truly matter? If the team is spending a lot of money on its WRs, that means other positions will be occupied by cheaper rookies. Whether or not that $10M is spent on a WR, DT, LB or OG doesnt really matter in the end, it all goes to the same cap number.

It is all coming out of the same pool, no denying that.

I looked up the top WRs on average salaries, no team has 2 in the top 10. I'm sure at some point a team will have 2 in the top 10 (Atlanta?), I don't think it is best for the Vikings when the #2 receiver will, at best, be the 3rd option in the offense behind Peterson and Harvin.

I also think you are overpaying for players with flaws. Bowe is inconsistent and a diva. Jennings is 29 and has been injured most of this season. Wallace is a one trick pony, although his trick is elite.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing a WR to "big" money + giving Percy Harvin "good" money combined with drafting defense (and having a lower salary), is fine by me.

Eventually, when those cheap defenders need a pay day, your big money to your WR's could/are likely reduced via cuts/renegotiations.

Get the talent first

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this from the Ponder thread...

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

We have 1 of 2 options...Either spend money on a big FA WR or continue to witness the garbage stats listed above. Its so obvious its not even funny. I just dont understand how some people cant see this. Unbelievable!!!

And exactly what big-time FA WRs are going to be available? The Vikings pursued Pierre Garcon, who got big-time money, yet has only produced 16 catches and has been injured most of the season.

Certainly, you'd like them to get a good WR, but you don't just throw money at the "best" available WR just because he's available. He has to be a good fit as well.

You look at the available FA WRs next season and I see Dwayne Bowe (attitude issue) and Greg Jennings (hobbled with multiple injuries since late last season). I'd be hesitant throwing money at either one of them. I'd be much more comfortable giving modest money to either Danario Alexander (who I've liked since college) or Ramses Barden (who I've also liked in the past), who have shown some potential but are stuck behind other players on the roster and then pick up another 1st or 2nd rd WR to upgrade the roster of WRs.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many good points being made here relating the money to be spent on a FA WR. Have the Vikes pay Percy 1st!.

If the team needs a big-bodied, sure-handed, reasonably fast WR, then there may be a few out there. Then, check the guy's attitude and his agent.

My personal preference is to stay away from anyone Drew represents . . . yes, Sidney Rice (who's a good guy) is doing well this year, but he was a major injury case the past two years. So, time will tell if he's got two career years in him, or a whole string of them in Seattle.

Regarding headcases . . . I didn't see Bernard Berrian (who did have one good year) becoming one, but he did. Randy and TO are the poster-children of headcases (although no current FA matches their talent-level), and there are a lot more out there like them. VIKES: STAY AWAY!

Of the WRs on the list, Bowe would be my choice -- if he's available ande willing to come to the Vikes. I like watching Wallace, but he's not better than Percy (much less more physically imposing), he's used differently.

For anyone saying a rookie WR can't produce better than a FA Rolling Eyes
-- that's a load of bull! Frankly the best thing for this WR group is to bring in one of the consensus top 5 or 6 WRs (1st or 2nd Rd).

So back to the FA question: Go big, go strong . . . OG or DT.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:

It is all coming out of the same pool, no denying that.

I looked up the top WRs on average salaries, no team has 2 in the top 10. I'm sure at some point a team will have 2 in the top 10 (Atlanta?), I don't think it is best for the Vikings when the #2 receiver will, at best, be the 3rd option in the offense behind Peterson and Harvin.

I also think you are overpaying for players with flaws. Bowe is inconsistent and a diva. Jennings is 29 and has been injured most of this season. Wallace is a one trick pony, although his trick is elite.

How can you call Bowe inconsistent? The thing thats inconsistent is KC's quarterbacks not Bowe. And im not sure he's really a diva but thats just me.

And there are many players with flaws.

Moss, TO, Plaxico and Ocho were all idiots

Brandon Marshall, Stevie Johnson, Steve Smith, and Dez Bryant are all divas

Bottom line is....THEY ARE GOOD PLAYERS! Who cares that they have a flaw or two. When you come up with a better strategy I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for Levitre. He could solidify our o-line.

Peppers90 on the sig.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
How can you call Bowe inconsistent?

Bowe 25 pounds overweight
Dwayne Bowe suspended for violating steroids policy
Three Years of Drop Rate: Wide Receivers (Bowe is 9th worst in the NFL)
Dwayne Bowe: Unreliable And Mediocre

Ultimately, you are going to pay top 5-10 money to a guy who is your #2 WR. In my opinion, that isn't the right move in a league with a salary cap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

Ultimately, you are going to pay top 5-10 money to a guy who is your #2 WR. In my opinion, that isn't the right move in a league with a salary cap.

I'm also in the "Avoid Bowe" camp. Well done providing supportive links, Arknad.

Peppers90 on the sig.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

I'm also in the "Avoid Bowe" camp. Well done providing supportive links, Arknad.

He's also the king of garbage time. Most of his stats this year come in the 4th quarter when the Chiefs need to pass to get back in the game. No thanks to Bowe for me as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: