Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Roseman have control over personnel (i.e GM) in 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Howie Roseman have control over personnel in 2013?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 14

marky_b27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
NoHypeNeeded wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Why would he be considered a punk by other organisations?

He rubbed them the wrong way and they didn't like his attitude as a new GM.

What? When did this happen?

He have made a ton of deals with a lot of different parties, won't happen if people dont like/trust him

Well there was the Nnamdi signing where we cold played the life out of the Cowboys/Jets.. then there were multiple reports that Roseman was pretty much a shake down artist who teams didn't really wanna deal with and the other report that said multiple GMs thought he was just a young punk who didn't know what he was doing and was only pushing away the other GMs of the league..

All of which are pretty believable/easy to see IMO.

I remember those when he first started the job. The rumors haven't been repeated since then and were considered pure conjecture in the first place.

Marky, the last 4 on your negatives list are sketchy, at best. If you don't like him, there's nothing wrong with that. But let's at least be intellectually honest about it.

Ok, lets explore them a bit more:

Lack of experience - was never a scout, only been on the player personnel side of it for 4 years

Will he be able to bring in the free agents? - the reason why a lot of the free agents wanted to play for us was 1. Andy Reid and 2. Michael Vick, neither of which will be here next year

Might be seen as a bit of a punk by other organisations - see above, I'm not making it up

Will he continue with Reid's mistakes? - has never been outside of the Reid bubble, who knows if he has any new ideas

I don't don't like the guy, I'm sure his a very nice person. It just irks me when there is clearly someone not qualified for the job potentially screwing up this franchise for the next 5 years.

Everyone moans about players not being fit for the NFL etc, but what about personnel people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, killdawabbit, what is your view on it all?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the punk stuff. We've made a bunch of deals with other teams lately so yeah...obviously other teams are willing to do business with him.

Who knows if he has any new ideas? who knows that he doesn't have any new ideas...he's been money with the cap (the position he is primarily responsible for also pun intended) so who is to say he absolutely doesn't have any new ideas...can't look at it as a negative.

He helped to bring in those free agents....you can't just give all the credit to Andy and co and use it as a negative against Roseman bro
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
NoHypeNeeded wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Why would he be considered a punk by other organisations?

He rubbed them the wrong way and they didn't like his attitude as a new GM.

What? When did this happen?

He have made a ton of deals with a lot of different parties, won't happen if people dont like/trust him

Well there was the Nnamdi signing where we cold played the life out of the Cowboys/Jets.. then there were multiple reports that Roseman was pretty much a shake down artist who teams didn't really wanna deal with and the other report that said multiple GMs thought he was just a young punk who didn't know what he was doing and was only pushing away the other GMs of the league..

All of which are pretty believable/easy to see IMO.

I remember those when he first started the job. The rumors haven't been repeated since then and were considered pure conjecture in the first place.

Marky, the last 4 on your negatives list are sketchy, at best. If you don't like him, there's nothing wrong with that. But let's at least be intellectually honest about it.

Ok, lets explore them a bit more:

Lack of experience - was never a scout, only been on the player personnel side of it for 4 years
You do realize he has been with the Eagles for over 10 years, right? And spent a lot of time with personnel guys... He's also been a GM for 3 years. He has some experience.
Will he be able to bring in the free agents? - the reason why a lot of the free agents wanted to play for us was 1. Andy Reid and 2. Michael Vick, neither of which will be here next year
But he's still been able to sign them. That is what his part of the job is you know...
Might be seen as a bit of a punk by other organisations - see above, I'm not making it up
That has already been dismissed as conjecture...at best.
Will he continue with Reid's mistakes? - has never been outside of the Reid bubble, who knows if he has any new ideas
That really depends on what you mean by "Reid's mistakes". The team will draft players based on a coach's criteria.
I don't don't like the guy, I'm sure his a very nice person. It just irks me when there is clearly someone not qualified for the job potentially screwing up this franchise for the next 5 years.

Everyone moans about players not being fit for the NFL etc, but what about personnel people.

The problem might be with Roseman, but it undoubtedly is with the fans. He began getting flak almost immediately, for literally nothing. People continue to bemoan all these "terrible moves" he has made but conveniently forget their excitement when they happened. I mean both in the draft and in FA. Of course now everyone is the exception. "No, I was against that move from the beginning!" they'll say. When the reality is they were giddy like school girls when it happened.

That's not just my view on it. It's the balls out truth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if people think he is a punk? We need a bunch of punks on our team to tough us up.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
Who cares if people think he is a punk? We need a bunch of punks on our team to tough us up.

I don't think you ever seen a punk.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
oland11 wrote:

Oland's view of punk:

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
oland11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
oland11 wrote:

Oland's view of punk:

That is exactly what I pictured....What type of punk are we personifying Howie to be?
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
oland11 wrote:

Oland's view of punk:

That is exactly what I pictured....What type of punk are we personifying Howie to be?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
oland11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a diva?
willy_law

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
I would give him some sort of VP job where he handles the business side of contracts.

Nice idea Ninja.

Also means Lurie doesn't have to pay out his contract.

I don't want Howie anywhere near making football decisions
AlexM23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the idea of "promoting" him so he isn't in charge of football decisions but we still get his expertise cap-wise. If Lurie decides to completely blow it up like the Colts last year then I think Howie might be gone even if he did sign an extension earlier this year.

Kiltman on the sig
Rock_#5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been alright as our GM, in fact i like him.

IMO He only really had 1 bad draft in terms of players not panning out.

In 2010 people loved the Graham pick and they liked the Allen pick as well. Dont believe me, look at the thread from back then.

In 2011 all though he may have messed up the draft, he absolutely killed it in FA. The 2011 Eagles were one of the most talented teams I had ever seen(Minus Vince Young). We signed the best Free Agent available in Nnamdi, and we traded for DRC. We had the most talented CB core in the league according to everybody. We improved our interior passrush with Jenkins and we FINALLY got someone to play opposite of Cole in Babin.

Those all seemed like great moves at the time.

Then in 2012 he had another great offseason, he traded for Demeco Ryans who has probably been our best defensive player this year. He drafted Cox and Kendricks who are both playing very well as rookies, not to mention Boykin and Curry.

Now I dont know how much credit of those drafts and FA signings goes to Howie or Andy. He brought in great players, but we werent able to put it all together coaching wise. Which is why as much I love the fat man, he has to go.

Howie can stay but it would be nice to have a guy with a background in scouting helping him out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that might intrigue me if Roseman stays as GM would be to bring in someone to replace Reid's role as VP of Football Operations, someone who is renowned as a talent evaluator

This man fits the bill perfectly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Joe Banner was fired people speculated on a power struggle. Reid+Banner+Roseman was all of a sudden Reid+Roseman.

Remove Reid and all we have is Roseman.
I don't think Lurie would fire Roseman, if he does, it would be extremely surprising.

There isn't even a guarantee that whoever comes in at head coach would be as involved in the decision making as Reid. Roseman's role could actually expand with rebuilding, not shrink.

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: