Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Babin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Jason Babin? Reply with quote

Wow it looks like the Eagles have cut Jason Babin.....Should we take a look?
RIPNumber21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jason Babin? Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:

Not a chance. Isn't big enough to play DE in a 3-4 and I certainly don't think he would translate well to OLB in a 3-4. He is essentially a one trick pony who was only successful out of the wide nine package Philly ran. Has for the most part of his career been invisible against the run.

Surprised the Eagles released him to be honest. Very curious to see where he ends up.

2013 Washington Redskins Season Ticket Holder

Hail to the Redskins
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jason Babin? Reply with quote

RIPNumber21 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Not a chance. Isn't big enough to play DE in a 3-4 and I certainly don't think he would translate well to OLB in a 3-4. He is essentially a one trick pony who was only successful out of the wide nine package Philly ran. Has for the most part of his career been invisible against the run.

Surprised the Eagles released him to be honest. Very curious to see where he ends up.
they cut him because of the $$. I expect them to be cutting more of the vets they signed last offseason also before march.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TruSkinsFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say give him a shot because personally Im kind tired people saying "He Doesn't Fit The 3-4 DE slot because he's too small or can't be used as a LB. This is time to start pick up some players and evaluate they're skills. Lets start using players for they're skills and not for they're size. We don't know how he'll be unless we try especially if we're trying to make a playoffs run. You never know...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruSkinsFan wrote:
I say give him a shot because personally Im kind tired people saying "He Doesn't Fit The 3-4 DE slot because he's too small or can't be used as a LB. This is time to start pick up some players and evaluate they're skills. Lets start using players for they're skills and not for they're size. We don't know how he'll be unless we try especially if we're trying to make a playoffs run. You never know...
well if we are going to sign him we had better wait to see if he clears waivers. There is no way I'm paying his current salary if I'm the redskins.

Interesting enough, in 2010 we did try to sign him when he was a FA to be in our 3-4 scheme. He chose to sign with the Titans instead.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we signed him when he clears waivers if you want me to be truly honest.

Of Course, I thought we'd sign Stanford Routt by now also. So who knows? Confused
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can help our pass rush, Im all for it!!!!! The more pass rush we get. The better our secondary gets........just sayn
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we signed him when he clears waivers if you want to be truly honest.

Me either... Kerrigan needs some help on the other side, I just can't believe he's the one...
Philly fans had some "nice" things to say about him, as only they can. But they seemed to agree that along with being a "one trick pony" (which we could use a pass rusher) that he can get faked out real easy. No sure I like that aspect if true
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay him 10k for info.
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
pay him 10k for info.

Info on what? The worst team in the NFC? Laughing
Roy Helu, Jr: 16 GP, 62 rushes, 274 yards, 4 TDs; 31 catches, 251 yards
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Dro wrote:
pay him 10k for info.

Info on what? The worst team in the NFL? Laughing

FIFY Laughing

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
Griff3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we need more help with the pass rushing. The secondary is getting torched because QBs have so much time.

But his current contract is way too much, definitely have to wait till he clears.
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
Dro wrote:
pay him 10k for info.

Info on what? The worst team in the NFL? Laughing

FIFY Laughing

Laughing While the Eagles have been poor, at least they've won a game in regulation, unlike the Chiefs.
Roy Helu, Jr: 16 GP, 62 rushes, 274 yards, 4 TDs; 31 catches, 251 yards
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
pay him 10k for info.

Do we really need it?

Some things to consider:
AGE = 32 years old (33 in May)

DRAFTED = 1st round (27th overall) by Houston. They traded up to get him (2.08, 3.08, 4.07, 5.06 for 1.27 and 5.27).

3-4 EXPERIENCE = He started his entire rookie season as the LOLB. However, he only played in 12 games (3 starts) his sophomore season being replaced by Shantee Orr. In his third season the Texans switched a 4-3, but left Babin as a linebacker. As best as I can tell, that is his only 3-4 experience.

CAREER ARC = Right before the 2007 season, Houston traded Babin to Seattle for Michael Boulware (the Texans would cut Boulware after one season). Babin would only play four games (starting none) for Seattle before he was cut in week 3 of 2008 so the Seahawks could add Keary Colbert via a trade. He signed on with Kansas City for the back half of 2008, before becoming a free agent where he signed on with Philadelphia (for the first time), where he played in only 12 games.

Between 2004 and 2009 his cumulative stats:
66 GP, 26 GS, 172 TKL (131 SOL), 17.5 SCK, 7 PDF, 2 FF

Or the average:
11 GP, 4.3 GS, 28.7 TKL (21.8 SOL), 2.9 SCK, 1.2 PDF, 0.3 FF

Most of his early numbers come from his rookie season.

In 2010, Babin signed with the Titans. Here, he has a renaissance of a year:

16 GP, 16 GS, 58 TKL (44 SOL), 12.5 SCK, 0 PDF, 2 FF

He parlays that into re-signing with the Eagles for a nice contract. His first year with the Eagles is

16 GP, 16 GS, 40 TKL (35 SOL), 18.0 SCK, 1 PDF, 3 FF

To put this in perspective, those two years encompass as percentages of his career stats:
Arrow 29.4% of his total games played (two of only three years he played the entire season)
Arrow 46.4% of his total starts (again, only two of three years where he started the entire season)
Arrow 33.1% of his total tackles / 34.2% of his total solo tackles
Arrow 57.0% of his total sacks
Arrow 11.1% of his total pass defensed (he had four his rookie season)
Arrow 55.6% of his total forced fumbles

Two outstanding seasons at 30 and 31, followed by a meh season on a team that's thrown in the towel at 32.

Now, do we expect him to continue this late career renaissance by moving to a system he hasn't played in for over seven years? One where the team who drafted him basically gave him away for peanuts after trading up to get him? A guy who because of his late career rebirth is expecting to get paid as a QB killer?
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm signing him if he has the desire to come here. Plain and Simple we can use all the help we can get on Deffense, especially as we make this push for the playoffs. We need someone to help get all the pressure off of Kerrigan and with his sack total in the last couple of years dude will command just as much attention as Kerrigan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: