Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency? Reply with quote

Looking at some of the potentially available FAs at WR I think that we should target one of these guys. Its becoming clear that DT will be our first round pick due to the strength of the prospects and our budding top 5 pick.

The top 4 potential WR FAs:

Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker

All 4 of these players have a pretty good shot at hitting the open market. I'd personally like a deep threat like Wallace, but would obvioiusly take any of these 4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowe...Big target, great hands, and why not have another LSU WR to join LaFell Cool
Panthers11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR is a real need. Not a #2, but a real future #1 guy. I would prefer the draft however. Heck no to Welker though.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
WR is a real need. Not a #2, but a real future #1 guy. I would prefer the draft however. Heck no to Welker though.

He'd be the last of those 4 that I'd want, mainly due to injury concerns. I think that we can get more value with a defensive draft.

The one exception would be in Marquise Lee declares this year, he is going to be amazing in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

He'd be the last of those 4 that I'd want, mainly due to injury concerns. I think that we can get more value with a defensive draft.

The one exception would be in Marquise Lee declares this year, he is going to be amazing in the NFL.

Lee isn't draft eligible, he's a true soph.

Not really a fan of bringing in any of those 4. I think we're okay to wait until the right guy is there in the draft.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody from that list except Welker is fine by me.

Welker is a glorified slot receiver who's been made to look better than he actually is by the likes of a Mr. Tom Brady.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency? Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
Looking at some of the potentially available FAs at WR I think that we should target one of these guys. Its becoming clear that DT will be our first round pick due to the strength of the prospects and our budding top 5 pick.

Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker

All 4 of these players have a pretty good shot at hitting the open market. I'd personally like a deep threat like Wallace, but would obvioiusly take any of these 4.

None of the above. We have no chance of landing either of them nor do we have the money to sign one.

2011 OROY Winner - Cam Newton
2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2013 DPOY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2014 OROY Watch - Kelvin Benjamin
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by the time we cut a lot of our cap "anchors" we should have the money. I agree with drafting a WR at some point, but I think we need more proven help to continue Cam's development.

Smith is already showing signs of slowing down and I don't think anyone on the roster is ready to assume the number 1 role. Recent draft history suggests that the only WRs ready to start are drafted in the top 5, and we need to go defense there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency? Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:

Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker

What the WR's need is a pocket QB. Panthers need to trade Cam for a pocket QB who knows how to win. Cam knows how to put up stats but has no clue about how to win.

Perfect Scenario is they trade Cam for defensive players and draft picks to someone and then draft Barkley. It would be an immediate team upgrade and superbowl contender
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency? Reply with quote

marshall413 wrote:
faccda01 wrote:

Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker

What the WR's need is a pocket QB. Panthers need to trade Cam for a pocket QB who knows how to win. Cam knows how to put up stats but has no clue about how to win.

Perfect Scenario is they trade Cam for defensive players and draft picks to someone and then draft Barkley. It would be an immediate team upgrade and superbowl contender

A. This will never happen
B. How do you think Cam doesn't know how to win? The man didn't lose a game since high school. Meanwhile Barkley has the most talented team in the NCAA and loses 5 games. You can't blame Cam for many of these losses. Giving up 90+ yards at the end of the game vs. ATL and TB was not Cams fault. Many of the playcalls and coach decisions have held him back too.

We've found our QB, now we need to build around him. You can't build a QB around receivers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anytime we have a chance to add a playmaker around Cam, we need to. It's going to make Cam that much better. I hate to say it, but I think some of Cam's slump this year is due to a declining Smitty.

Out of the list above, I like Wallace the best, he's the most dynamic and the best right now, and probably hasn't hit the prime of his career yet.

I really wouldn't mind picking up an WR with our 2nd round pick this year. I really dig Cordarelle Patterson or Justin Hunter from Tenn.

If we were able to get Wallace and one of those picks, our WR corps would be set for a while when teamed with Lafell and Pilares/Edwards. Smitty could play the slot role for a few years while he is phased out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has more to do with teams taking Smith away and nobody stepping up like we need them to. LaFell is a good WR but he doesn't have the natural speed or the experience yet to take the top off of a defense like we need him to. Rivera hates David Gettis who is the one guy who could provide the deep threat. Smith is still having a decent year. He was bonafide top 5 last year and I don't think the production drop off is simply because he got 1 year older. Not to say that I don't think he's as good as 05 Smitty because he's not, but he's still the top WR on this team by far.
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
I think it has more to do with teams taking Smith away and nobody stepping up like we need them to. LaFell is a good WR but he doesn't have the natural speed or the experience yet to take the top off of a defense like we need him to. Rivera hates David Gettis who is the one guy who could provide the deep threat. Smith is still having a decent year. He was bonafide top 5 last year and I don't think the production drop off is simply because he got 1 year older. Not to say that I don't think he's as good as 05 Smitty because he's not, but he's still the top WR on this team by far.

He is definitely our top WR, but is definitely slowing down. He was able to beat double and even triple coverage in the past. He's not catching balls he should, and I think we need to take more of a proactive approach in finding his replacement.

I think a guy like Wallace would be perfect because he is still young and just entering his prime. This would also buy us time to develop LaFell and anyone that we draft, while still being able to lean on Smitty's expertice and allow him to rest a little more, therefore maximizing his effectiveness.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

He is definitely our top WR, but is definitely slowing down. He was able to beat double and even triple coverage in the past. He's not catching balls he should, and I think we need to take more of a proactive approach in finding his replacement.

I think a guy like Wallace would be perfect because he is still young and just entering his prime. This would also buy us time to develop LaFell and anyone that we draft, while still being able to lean on Smitty's expertice and allow him to rest a little more, therefore maximizing his effectiveness.
I'm with it.. Wallace and Cam would be so dangerous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I think anytime we have a chance to add a playmaker around Cam, we need to. It's going to make Cam that much better. I hate to say it, but I think some of Cam's slump this year is due to a declining Smitty.

Out of the list above, I like Wallace the best, he's the most dynamic and the best right now, and probably hasn't hit the prime of his career yet.

I really wouldn't mind picking up an WR with our 2nd round pick this year. I really dig Cordarelle Patterson or Justin Hunter from Tenn.

If we were able to get Wallace and one of those picks, our WR corps would be set for a while when teamed with Lafell and Pilares/Edwards. Smitty could play the slot role for a few years while he is phased out.

What about Gettis? You don't have him listed.

2011 OROY Winner - Cam Newton
2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2013 DPOY Winner - Luke Kuechly
2014 OROY Watch - Kelvin Benjamin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: