Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 13 Released Players - Babin, McClain, Young?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Week 13 Released Players - Babin, McClain, Young? Reply with quote

Is it even fathomable that we could bring him?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Dissonance19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

One drawback for Babin for some teams will be cap space -need about $2m to claim him. a team like Ravens, who need rusher, wouldnt have it

if Babin does clear waivers, I'd expect the Ravens to pounce by the way

Interesting...
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already played OLB in Houston and failed miserably. And the fact the he just got cut in the middle of the season raises huge red flags.

EDIT: Screw it though. I trust Ozzie so if he picks him up I'm excited. Whatever you want to say the dude can get after the QB.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles cut Babin?

A month ago I'd have leapt at the chance to get him in Baltimore. Now, with Suggs healthy, Kruger and Upshaw starting to shine and the defense as a whole playing much better? I'm not so keen.

He's probably not going to contribute much this season, and given that he's already 32, there's not a great deal to be gained from a long term deal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine he won't even sniff the field on run downs.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Dissonance19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can never have enough pass rushers or depth. He's cheap too. I think he can also be DE for us in situations.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with Babin is that he's only been successful playing in a wide-9 scheme. I don't think the Ravens line pass-rushers up in that position enough for him to make a big difference and I'm wary that he would be able to produce in a more traditional role. There's this to consider too:

Quote:

One drawback for Babin for some teams will be cap space -need about $2m to claim him. a team like Ravens, who need rusher, wouldnt have it

He also goes on to say that he expects the Ravens to go after Babin if he clears waivers but I don't think that's based on anything but his opinion. It makes sense when thinking about the Ravens need for a pass-rusher, but I don't think it's that simple especially with Babin.
drd23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we get him is if he clears waivers and is willing to play for close to the vet minimum for this year.

And even then, I'm not sure how much use he'd be over Suggs/Kruger on passing downs (which is the only time he'd be on the field).

That said, like DTMB, if Ozzie does it I'll trust that its the right move

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Integrity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
The only way we get him is if he clears waivers and is willing to play for close to the vet minimum for this year.

Add in the fact that he'd have to take a non-starting role and it becomes even less likely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, I just think the chances are very slim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles fans swearing he has no value is making me love the idea. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard, Cory Redding them.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Integrity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Eagles fans swearing he has no value is making me love the idea. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard, Cory Redding them.

Agree 100%. We taken other people's trash before and turned them into treasures. I'm confident we could do it with Babin as long as he wants to come here.

Even if we had the cap space, I wouldn't claim him off waivers. He would cost to much and most likely be a malcontent. But he if chooses to come here on a one year deal there's no question in my mind he would succeed as long as Pees utilized him correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind Babin one bit if we could fit him under the cap. Suggs still isn't 100%. Kruger has been beasting but I think Babin could still help us on passing downs. He's exactly the type of player whose play would likely get better on our team.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like has been said, you can never have enough pass rushers. And if we can get him introduced to the defense and then come playoff time he could be a guy that really makes some impact plays. He could seemingly replace McClellan in our rotation and our LBers can have one extra fresh pass rusher.

It would be pretty special if we're able to go from having a horrid pass rushing situation at the beginning of the year to entering the playoffs with a pass rushing squad that's able to get after any QB and able to go full speed throughout because of the depth we'd be working with.

And really for Babin, if he clears waivers than I think we're a good fit for him from a family perspective. Having been in Philly for the past couple of seasons, you'd have to think his family is somewhat comfortable. Being in the middle of the school year, they could easily remain where they are and still see him about as much as usual with Philly being only a two hour drive up north... and even less for a plane ride.

But all that said, I expect New England to look at Babin with the recent 4 game suspension to Cunningham opening up a spot. They already run a 43 defense, so putting Babin in wide 9 situations would be a pretty easy adjustment for them to make... and they typically pounce on opportunities like this all the time... and more importantly have had plenty of success when pouncing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I love about this situation is that I don't trust the production I've seen from Babin this year. He's much better than that.

That entire TEAM has quit on Andy Reid, and it's obvious EVERY WEEK. Bringing him in I think would be great for our pass rush. New locker room. Winning environment, no coach controversy (except on the offensive side of the ball), no QB controversy, all he has to focus on is winning a championship and rushing the passer, and I think Babin could excel at that.

Count me on board if we can find a way to produce the cap (as in releasing maybe, idk, the Human Cape?)

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we free cap space by releasing McKinnie?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: