Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Navorro Bowman Contract Extension!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ, well defending the slot has definitely been a weakness, but Rogers has been the only one playing the position. Now, Culliver has all the physical tools to do it, but he is just learning how to play CB. Brown is intriguing and I'm surprised we haven't given him a look. Maybe he has in practice and just isn't comfortable doing it.

I like having Cully on the outside. I think he's perfect for it. I'd rather have Rogers outside and Brown in the slot. Maybe the coaches just like Brown better outside, and Rogers covers the slot by default.

So much of THIS... but we gotta just let Fangio do his thing as if he knows better. Confused

___
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Novarro Bowman's deal has only $7.5 million fully guaranteed. The rest of the $25.5 million is guaranteed for injury only. More coming.

___
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Baalke had to give us some good news on a pretty bad morning. This should definitely get the Hawk pumped up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didnt expect us to spend the money on Bowman when we already spend so much on Willis. Very happy though, I thought we were going to lose Bowman. He definitely deserves it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culliver is definitely BETTER suited for the outside, but he has the tools to defend the slot as well. Eventually, I would like him to shadow opposing teams #1 WR every week maybe even next season. Now, some teams don't do that as it messes up their scheme. I have a feeling this defense will think the same way. Do we draft a CB in the first three rounds or no?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy to hear this!!!

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news!!! Best LBs in the NFL!!!

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Culliver has been our best CB this year IMO. Carlos hasn't been terrible, he just needs to pick it up. In the end if it came down to cutting Rogers next offseason so that we had the cash to lock up Goldson I wouldn't be terribly upset. I don't think it will come to that, but we could draft a young prospect and ease him into the lineup slowly and I think we'd be fine. That's what's so awesome about our team: We have so much depth that we can survive losing a guy like Rogers because of guys like Culliver, Brown, and Cox all have extensive experience already. I think we're going to draft defense heavy and early this year. I could see us drafting a corner, passrusher, and possibly the heir apparent to Justin Smith. The future sure looks bright for the 49ers!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
Yeah, Culliver has been our best CB this year IMO. Carlos hasn't been terrible, he just needs to pick it up. In the end if it came down to cutting Rogers next offseason so that we had the cash to lock up Goldson I wouldn't be terribly upset. I don't think it will come to that, but we could draft a young prospect and ease him into the lineup slowly and I think we'd be fine. That's what's so awesome about our team: We have so much depth that we can survive losing a guy like Rogers because of guys like Culliver, Brown, and Cox all have extensive experience already. I think we're going to draft defense heavy and early this year. I could see us drafting a corner, passrusher, and possibly the heir apparent to Justin Smith. The future sure looks bright for the 49ers!

Don't forget that we have Ed Donatell. That guy can teach a young defensive back like no other in the NFL. So, round 1 and 2 could be CB and DE, pretty much interchangeable at this point. It would truly strengthen this team.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Swift21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baalke/Paraag doing work. Great feeling to have all four starting LB's locked up through 2015.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow today started out very somber now its time to Party!!! Thank You Baalke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
So, round 1 and 2 could be CB and DE, pretty much interchangeable at this point. It would truly strengthen this team.

OT, but it would probably be smart to pick up a talented nt in the draft. Williams is a bit of an unknown and Ice is a fa this off-season. RJF could start until said rookie nt comes of age. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another hb picked early (3rd-4th) due to Hunter's Achilles tear. DE, NT, CB, HB maybe?

De Oppresso Liber
4evera9er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So stoked with this news!
Swift21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
So, round 1 and 2 could be CB and DE, pretty much interchangeable at this point. It would truly strengthen this team.

OT, but it would probably be smart to pick up a talented nt in the draft. Williams is a bit of an unknown and Ice is a fa this off-season. RJF could start until said rookie nt comes of age. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another hb picked early (3rd-4th) due to Hunter's Achilles tear. DE, NT, CB, HB maybe?

Nose Tackle is a much bigger uncertainty with RJF/Sop pending free agents than a trio of CB's that have us ranked second against the pass.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that this was done so early (still has a year on his contract) makes me believe they saw a mutually beneficial arrangement and jumped at it. Rather than playing out his current contract for very low pay, he gets paid sooner this way, but less per year. So they basically ask if he likes being a Niner and if he plans on signing here, he says yes, and they propose

5 yr/$25.5 million/7.5 guaranteed (average $5.125 mil/year)

rather than waiting a year and signing...

4 yr/$26 million (rounded up for ease of math)/7.5 guaranteed (average $6.5 mil/year

It is more cap friendly for us, while paying Bowman sooner for his great play. Just speculation, but I always wonder why teams don't try to work out a deal like that more often to extend their players and try to keep it more cap friendly.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: