Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers LB NaVorro Bowman signs a 5-year, $45.25m extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9072
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raaka wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
"It's not about money... people remember you for the wins, the teams you were a part of." - NaVarro Bowman.


I'm impressed.


Dude just became one of my favorite players with a quote like that.


Not like his family is gonna starve with 8 mil a year.

Unless his family happens to include Latrell Sprewell Laughing


Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13672
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Bowman's rookie deal didn't end until after the 2013 season. He had very little to no leverage here. The 49ers chose to lock up a core player which is excellent front office work. Bowman got a great contract for having no leverage. If he would have waited until after his contract was up, then waited after his franchise tag was up because the 49ers would have most likely tagged him, then he could have gotten more money. In that case he risked losing boat loads of money for risk of injury. He took a great deal and the 49ers did excellent to lock him up but let's not act like he gave them a hometown discount because he didn't. He had no leverage to get more money. His market value would have been a good bit higher but he would have most likely had to wait to get that market value until after the 2014 season and one never knows what could have happened between now and then.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9072
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Bowman's rookie deal didn't end until after the 2013 season. He had very little to no leverage here. The 49ers chose to lock up a core player which is excellent front office work. Bowman got a great contract for having no leverage. If he would have waited until after his contract was up, then waited after his franchise tag was up because the 49ers would have most likely tagged him, then he could have gotten more money. In that case he risked losing boat loads of money for risk of injury. He took a great deal and the 49ers did excellent to lock him up but let's not act like he gave them a hometown discount because he didn't. He had no leverage to get more money. His market value would have been a good bit higher but he would have most likely had to wait to get that market value until after the 2014 season and one never knows what could have happened between now and then.


I never thought about the franchise tag. I realize Marthe got his hustle on but I never thought about the FT. I hope Aldon Smith is prepared to get a similar deal. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronnie's Pinky


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Bowman's rookie deal didn't end until after the 2013 season. He had very little to no leverage here. The 49ers chose to lock up a core player which is excellent front office work. Bowman got a great contract for having no leverage. If he would have waited until after his contract was up, then waited after his franchise tag was up because the 49ers would have most likely tagged him, then he could have gotten more money. In that case he risked losing boat loads of money for risk of injury. He took a great deal and the 49ers did excellent to lock him up but let's not act like he gave them a hometown discount because he didn't. He had no leverage to get more money. His market value would have been a good bit higher but he would have most likely had to wait to get that market value until after the 2014 season and one never knows what could have happened between now and then.


That's exactly right. Team and player split the difference between his actual market value and the risk that he blows out a knee playing on a rookie contract and ends up selling insurance door-to-door for the next forty years. This is a good deal for both sides from the looks of it. Most of Bowman's money is not guaranteed if he gets cut, but what are the odds of that? He just set himself up for life with this contract, and the 49ers set themselves up with a monster linebacking unit for the forseeable future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NINERFAN_4_LIFE


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 12511
Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Bowman's rookie deal didn't end until after the 2013 season. He had very little to no leverage here. The 49ers chose to lock up a core player which is excellent front office work. Bowman got a great contract for having no leverage. If he would have waited until after his contract was up, then waited after his franchise tag was up because the 49ers would have most likely tagged him, then he could have gotten more money. In that case he risked losing boat loads of money for risk of injury. He took a great deal and the 49ers did excellent to lock him up but let's not act like he gave them a hometown discount because he didn't. He had no leverage to get more money. His market value would have been a good bit higher but he would have most likely had to wait to get that market value until after the 2014 season and one never knows what could have happened between now and then.


That's exactly right. Team and player split the difference between his actual market value and the risk that he blows out a knee playing on a rookie contract and ends up selling insurance door-to-door for the next forty years. This is a good deal for both sides from the looks of it. Most of Bowman's money is not guaranteed if he gets cut, but what are the odds of that? He just set himself up for life with this contract, and the 49ers set themselves up with a monster linebacking unit for the forseeable future.


You have the best name ever. congrats


dare I say... the best FO in football??
_________________
imani wrote:
We got so lucky last season

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronnie's Pinky


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
You have the best name ever. congrats

dare I say... the best FO in football??


Thanks. There are a few advantages to being old enough to remember the 80's.

As far as the front office is concerned, the proof, as always, is in the pudding. We can only measure their greatness by the team's success on the field. The team looks very strong right now, but superbowl victories talk louder than pretty contracts. We shall see. Baalke's record with the 49ers has been good, but he doesn't deserve credit for everything. Of the players who are still relevant, Baalke inherited:

Justin Smith (great signing)
Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, Tarell Brown (unbelievable 2007 draft)
Vernon Davis & Delanie Walker (2006 draft)
Alex Smith & Frank Gore (2005 draft)
Isaac Sopoaga & Andy Lee (2004 draft)

Baalke's first two drafts (2008 and 2009 as director of player personnel) were actually terrible, with only Crabtree, RJF and Grant to show for two whole draft classes. Since then, he has been much, much better, but the jury is still out, in my opinion. His best move may have been bringing in Harbaugh, who has totally changed the culture of this team from the dark Nolan/Singletary years. If Harbaugh counts as a front office guy, then yeah, the 49ers are right up there with the best of them, but they still need to do it on the field.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El ramster


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 41063
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
Of coarse not but he probably could have gotten a lot more elsewhere.
Bowman's rookie deal didn't end until after the 2013 season. He had very little to no leverage here. The 49ers chose to lock up a core player which is excellent front office work. Bowman got a great contract for having no leverage. If he would have waited until after his contract was up, then waited after his franchise tag was up because the 49ers would have most likely tagged him, then he could have gotten more money. In that case he risked losing boat loads of money for risk of injury. He took a great deal and the 49ers did excellent to lock him up but let's not act like he gave them a hometown discount because he didn't. He had no leverage to get more money. His market value would have been a good bit higher but he would have most likely had to wait to get that market value until after the 2014 season and one never knows what could have happened between now and then.


That's exactly right. Team and player split the difference between his actual market value and the risk that he blows out a knee playing on a rookie contract and ends up selling insurance door-to-door for the next forty years. This is a good deal for both sides from the looks of it. Most of Bowman's money is not guaranteed if he gets cut, but what are the odds of that? He just set himself up for life with this contract, and the 49ers set themselves up with a monster linebacking unit for the forseeable future.


You have the best name ever. congrats


dare I say... the best FO in football??



No, Not till there is a Super Bowl..
Or you'll be like the Chargers-Cowboys!

All talent in the world and nothing to show for..

The Giants-Packers-Pats-Ravens have some excellent FO's.

Would throw in the Texans but they are in the same boat and you guys.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 82366
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand he is a beast, but how many ILBs make 9M a year?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
in po we trust


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 1433
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:


Baalke's first two drafts (2008 and 2009 as director of player personnel) were actually terrible, with only Crabtree, RJF and Grant to show for two whole draft classes. Since then, he has been much, much better, but the jury is still out, in my opinion. His best move may have been bringing in Harbaugh, who has totally changed the culture of this team from the dark Nolan/Singletary years. If Harbaugh counts as a front office guy, then yeah, the 49ers are right up there with the best of them, but they still need to do it on the field.


To be fair, though, 2008 and 2009 were Scot McCloughan led drafts. When they became Baalke led drafts in 2010 after McCloughan stepped down that's when the drafts started to improve. That cannot be just a coincidence.
_________________
*Free Joe Looney!



*(as an extra blocker)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26273
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I understand he is a beast, but how many ILBs make 9M a year?


Daryl Washington?

Patrick Willis?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tom cody


Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 8332
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move here by San Fran. Bowman is a huge part of that team's future.
_________________
A hundred bucks for a comic book? Who drew it, Michaelmelangelo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rejuvenation


Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1739
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal for both sides. I'm glad we were able to lock up our LBs in cap-friendly ways.

Our franchise is about to get raided soon probably. Hope we can get a ring before that happens over the next few years.

49ers_52 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Dont they have a crazy amount of FA's upcoming? Like Goldson, etc.


After 2012 Goldson, Sopoaga, Delanie Walker, Ricky Jean-Francois, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden

After 2013 Justin Smith, Tarell Brown, Whitner, Manningham, etc.

After 2014 we will have Kap, Hunter, Culliver, Aldon, Bruce Miller, Crabtree, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Frank Gore (retire?).....

Wish we could keep them all but it's impossible. Some other teams will be getting great players.


I want to keep as many of the bolded as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9072
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Hopefully we can keep our coaching staff. We might lose quite a few of them this offseason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronnie's Pinky


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
^Hopefully we can keep our coaching staff. We might lose quite a few of them this offseason.


Fangio may move on, and if he does, I wish him well. He's been an excellent DC, but at this point, I think the defense knows what it's doing. We really need to keep all the offensive coordinators in place, though. Turnover on offense while Kap is still young is a bad idea, although truthfully, a lot of the offense is probably coming from Harbaugh, himself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronnie's Pinky


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers_52 wrote:
After 2012 Goldson, Sopoaga, Delanie Walker, Ricky Jean-Francois, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden

After 2013 Justin Smith, Tarell Brown, Whitner, Manningham, etc.

After 2014 we will have Kap, Hunter, Culliver, Aldon, Bruce Miller, Crabtree, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Frank Gore (retire?).....

Wish we could keep them all but it's impossible. Some other teams will be getting great players.


The bolded are the ones I really care about. Soap is 31, and DT's don't tend to age well. He's been a good niner and he's playing pretty well right now, but he is the most expendable of our regular players on defense. I'd prefer we replace him in the draft. The rest of the 2012's are nice depth guys, but entirely replaceable.

Justin Smith will be 34 in the 2013 offseason. He is a great player right now, and I'd like to resign him, but only if the price is right. I have a feeling this is his last contract as a 49er. Brown has emerged as our best corner, and he is an OG niner. He's still got enough tread on his tires to be worth one more 3-4 year deal. If we can get Whitner back for what we're paying him now, I'm all for it, but he is replaceable. Same for Mario.

The 2014's all need to get locked up long term. Luckily, except for Crabs, they're all still on rookie contracts, and so don't have a ton of negotiating leverage. It's going to be tricky, and I'm pretty sure we're going to have to swallow losing some great guys like Soap and J. Smith, but keeping the young core of this team together takes precedence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group