Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Babin released from Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you don't know about Nnamdi is that his mind was already made up not to come back. And Al Davis concured based on what he was going to ask for. So why insult the guy by low-balling him?

He could come back here and resurrect his career as a FS for 3 or 4 years.

But knowing the type of guy he is, football may be in his rearview mirror with other challenges to take on. He is a very smart guy who does not NEED football like so many other guys do. I'd be happy with him or for him either way.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had money, hell yea. But sadly we can't afford to take on any salary right now. Reggie is still in the process of getting us out of financial hell.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
Professor Oak wrote:
Moves like this are moves we should be staying away from. We would only have to pay a small amount for the rest of this season, but would still have to pay him his old contract the next few seasons (from my understanding). He's not worth it. People look at his stats and think he's a great pass rusher, but the guy is an aging bum. Don't like his personality & don't find him being a good fit for this team regardless.

Aside from all of that, he's undisciplined & one dimensional.

Nnamdi Asomugha will probably be next.

I've heard the same and he is a guy I'd be more inclined to add. I assume he won't be cut till the offseason, and at that point I'd pursue him. He was great here, karma bit him in the ash like it should have, but now he's paid and may be looking to come home to where he was loved and was successful. We never filled the void he left and I think the fanbase would let bygones be bygones.

Karma? You mean that Karma where the team you played for doesn't offer you a contract and instead spends the money on Stanford Routte. That Karma?

I thought he was very ungrateful towards the fanbase. We don't offer the contracts bro, not our fault. Pretty sure the entire forum wanted him back, besides a few and those few were strictly due to the contract he would command, nothing else.

I took it as a slap in the face, and have laughed every time he's gotten burned. My ribs hurt from the last two years.

So yea, that karma.

Ungrateful how? I don't understand anything you are saying. He was a class act always including his way out.

Sounds like you just hating on him for leaving Oakland.

His press conference when he signed with the Eagles. Didn't like how he acted. So sorry you disagree.

It's not hate, what is there to hate? He has been terrible, I'm glad we didn't pay him 15 a season looking back. He wouldn't cost nearly that much anymore so I'd be ok with that.

I don't route for players when they leave Oakland. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the Raiders its 1 against 31. If that is hating then sorry for being a RAIDERS fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:

His press conference when he signed with the Eagles. Didn't like how he acted. So sorry you disagree.

It's not hate, what is there to hate? He has been terrible, I'm glad we didn't pay him 15 a season looking back. He wouldn't cost nearly that much anymore so I'd be ok with that.

I don't route for players when they leave Oakland. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the Raiders its 1 against 31. If that is hating then sorry for being a RAIDERS fan.

Fair enough. I don't remember seeing his PC in Philly to comment.

I bet when Nnamdi signed there opposite Samuel and DRC, he didn't expect to be a 3 win team w/ a coach on the way out. He had options, went to the Eagles thinking they were poised to win it all and look at them now.

Could he play FS? I know he did in college, but could he move back to that spot now w/ any success?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stuff the Raiders can't afford to to do.
The Raiders can't afford the luxury of signing someone then asking them switch position. What if doesn't develop as fast as we hope.
The Raiders need building blocks. Safe players who can contribute right away.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
The Raiders can't afford the luxury of signing someone then asking them switch position. What if doesn't develop as fast as we hope.

I'd rather ask Nnamdi to play FS at this stage in his career than rely on Giordano another season. I would say the Raiders can afford to do that.

You act like 'building blocks' are just lying there waiting to be signed. The Raiders need to absolutely nail the draft and free agency this offseason just to hopefully find one or two.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

I'd rather ask Nnamdi to play FS at this stage in his career than rely on Giordano another season. I would say the Raiders can afford to do that.

You act like 'building blocks' are just lying there waiting to be signed. The Raiders need to absolutely nail the draft and free agency this offseason just to hopefully find one or two.

Realistically the raiders need to nail the next 2 drafts and offseasons haha

I dont see us making the playoffs next year, Manning will only get better, and I do not think we will be a wildcard team next year.

Hopefully the staff realizes this, and doesnt draft specifically for Needs. We have so many needs, that we need to draft for a combination of the 2.

Basically with our first we need to take either a DT or a DE... but BPA between those 2 positions.

then throughout the draft have the same sort of strategy, have a few positions you plan on upgrading, say CB LB OT and DE (if we take a DT in first) then just draft BPA with our picks from those positions.

We do not need to address every need this offseason, as we are still at least another season away from playoffs IMO... we just need solid, talented players at positions, doesnt really matter which position at this time
true2form

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

1. Nnamdi as CB/FS: If affordable, why not? Major upgrade at either spot.
2. Babin: Well beggars can't be choosers can they? I'd pick up his waiver and see how he is the rest of this year. If he is that bad of a guy, trade him or cut him. Truth is we have zero pass rush and that is his specialty. He's not an all-around DE, but not many are and we may not get that guy in the draft either. 36 sacks in 2.5 years is 3rd in the league.
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

Building blocks are there to be signed called FA.
The GM has do better job evaluating and signing them.
This off season the Raiders signed 4 FAs if they all played well the Raiders would have been in a pretty good spot but only one in four is playing well and that's a big setback.
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

This off season the Raiders signed 4 FAs if they all played well the Raiders would have been in a pretty good spot but only one in four is playing well and that's a big setback.

One in four is playing well because there are not a multitude of building blocks available in FA. If there were, they wouldn't be leaving their original teams in the first place. It happens, not often and definitely not enough to the point where one free agency team can grab 4 great guys. It's absurd, there are 32 teams vying for free agents, and maybe 5-15 guys change teams who are genuine positive contributors that represent good contract value each year. Good luck trying to find 4 or 5 players who are core contributors in one free agency period, for one team to grab all of them.

It will either A. cost a tremendous boatload leading to a quick return to cap hell, B. blow up in the team's face, C. Never gonna happen.

Ask the Eagles how it worked out for them. And every other tremendously active free agent team, ever.

The only way to truly rebuild a team is to install a system that allows you to get on the positive side of talent development, build into that system in the draft, be successful with UDFAs, keep your homegrown talent worth keeping as long as you can, and pluck Free Agents for your roster now and then who represent good value or a necessary talent spark ad/or leadership potential.

Blowing out one free agent period is a desperate and sad plan that has never turned a loser into a winner. Don't tell me Tampa of the past year because it's seriously flawed. V. Jackson has delivered, Nicks is on IR, Dallas Clark was a value addition, and they absolutely hit home runs in the first 3 rounds of their draft.
Dessie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

You don't get building blocks from FA you get building blocks from the draft. FA is the finish.

FA should be used for need draft for depth.
#clueless
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

You don't get building blocks from FA you get building blocks from the draft. FA is the finish.

This

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

Stop just stop with the only way to build is through the draft.
Half of he people drafted will never play in a game. Most will be out of the NFL in one year.
Take a look at Green Bay they have the best draft history in last five years. They have only 11 staters from the draft over the last 5 years.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

Half of he people drafted will never play in a game. Most will be out of the NFL in one year.
Take a look at Green Bay they have the best draft history in last five years. They have only 11 staters from the draft over the last 5 years.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936

You need to stop.

Yes, you can add depth and role players in FA. But to get a great, impact type you have to break the bank to do it and that's assuming said player wants to sign with the team.

We've been down that road, and it failed.

Washington for years went heavy in FA to build their team and failed. Since Shanahan has been on board Orakpo, Kerrigan, RGIII, Morris, etc. have been added and they are better for it.

You don't build a team in FA. You build in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

You need to stop.

Yes, you can add depth and role players in FA. But to get a great, impact type you have to break the bank to do it and that's assuming said player wants to sign with the team.

We've been down that road, and it failed.

Washington for years went heavy in FA to build their team and failed. Since Shanahan has been on board Orakpo, Kerrigan, RGIII, Morris, etc. have been added and they are better for it.

You don't build a team in FA. You build in the draft.

What don't you understand about building blocks.
I never said anything about star players.
I said you need to sign some safe building blocks in FAs.
Don't think of the Raiders that's typical team, think of them more like an expansion team. The Raiders may need up to 25-30 players next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: