Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Babin Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what you guys are talking about, this guy seems to have a much better attitude than Edwards

Isn't holding anything against Reid and is really taking it in stride. Also he is clearly an upgrade over Edwards and any of our young guys currently

I think he would be a great addition to the team while our line is banged up and missing another vet on the outside to complement Abe

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
Don't forget Babin had 18 sacks last year. The guy can get to the QB. He played in a traditional 4-3 in Tenn I believe. If the price is right I grab him. Def a super upgrade over kroy. And we won't go deep in the playoffs without a consistent pass rush

He played in a wide 9.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I said in the NFLNews thread about this..:

coors wrote:
so is this about Babin just not playing with full effort? I mean they paid him good money last off season, he then put up 18 sacks for them last year.. which was a hell of a season. I know he only has something like 5 this year.. but I could say that any team in the NFL could use a pass rusher like he showed us last year he was capable of.. so did he get axed simply because of how bad they have been this year and that he seems to be doggin' it a lot... or is this something inside the locker room type of deal?

I can easily say that bringing Babin into Atlanta and having him opposite Abe, if Babin still has what he had last year in him, that we finally would be able to have someone to compliment Abe.. because we all know that when the Iggles inked Babin last off season, we went after Ray Edwards who we just cut like 2 weeks ago. Abe and Babin on the outside with Biermann as our rotational guy.. I would really like the look of that. However, if Babin on the market is due to a bad lockeroom guy or something like that would completely take him off our radar..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
since when did any of you actually look at what this guy could do. He's a beast of a pass rusher and would be more than welcome here in Atlanta. He's got 5.5 sacks, 10 QB hits, 20 pressures this season... this would put him in second place on the Falcons for everything but hits... he'd be first there.

Agreed with scar on this one.

FalconFan13 wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
If the Eagles felt they didn't need him, why in the world would we? Laughing

For the same exact reason they thought they didn't need Assante who was their best corner Smile We showed out on that deal might as well make it 2 for 2. Look at it this way if Nolan wants him then he is good enough for me as Nolan can get some production from him.

very well put FF. IMO if Nolan wants him, we should bring him in for sure. finally someone we could put opposite Abe that compliments him and can actually get some QBs on the ground

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys the wide 9 skews sacks a lot. In our system/a normal 4-3 I bet he gets half of those sacks as proven by his numbers this season. It was a good year for him as he played well in the system.

If we go out signing players on one year of production we will get a bunch of underachievers. I mean he's playing well this season, but as a general statement look at Dunta Robinson for us..

Everyone gets the "gimme" phenomenon when a guy like him gets cut as fans, but its not always the best idea...

Anyway I know I'm in the minority here, but if you guys would like me to further explain or have a good conversation I will Razz

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Guys the wide 9 skews sacks a lot. In our system/a normal 4-3 I bet he gets half of those sacks as proven by his numbers this season. It was a good year for him as he played well in the system.

If we go out signing players on one year of production we will get a bunch of underachievers. I mean he's playing well this season, but as a general statement look at Dunta Robinson for us..

Everyone gets the "gimme" phenomenon when a guy like him gets cut as fans, but its not always the best idea...

Anyway I know I'm in the minority here, but if you guys would like me to further explain or have a good conversation I will Razz
our system is modified for the players in it. If it makes sense to bring Babin in as a rotational pass rusher. Even the 5 sack average he had with the Texans would be more than we got with Ray Edwards and Biermann. AREN'T WE TRYING TO IMPROVE THE TEAM?

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
BirdsAyeView

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Babin, he's proved his worth in the NFL over the past few seasons. I just don't believe we need to pick him up. We have to look towards the future. Babin is 32, he doesn't have too much play time left on his clock. And plus, the Eagles of all people let him go. I understand he is good, I just don't feel as if he would perform at peak with the Falcons, and I don't deem him fitting to our team. Whoever manages to pick him up will have a few good years with him, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
adam9 wrote:

our system is modified for the players in it. If it makes sense to bring Babin in as a rotational pass rusher. Even the 5 sack average he had with the Texans would be more than we got with Ray Edwards and Biermann. AREN'T WE TRYING TO IMPROVE THE TEAM?

Are you directly comparing starter stats of a wide 9 to a traditional 4-3 (I'm more talking about how everyone is saying 18.5, which is last year).

Even so Biermann has close to 5.5 as a rotational player with 3 and is not purely rushing the passer every play like Babin was. I know you're probably saying bring him in as a #3 DE but I just don't see it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsAyeView wrote:
I just don't believe we need to pick him up. We have to look towards the future. Babin is 32, he doesn't have too much play time left on his clock. And plus, the Eagles of all people let him go. I understand he is good, I just don't feel as if he would perform at peak with the Falcons, and I don't deem him fitting to our team.

This. Even if you could argue a 1-year deal, I still don't like it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:
I just don't believe we need to pick him up. We have to look towards the future. Babin is 32, he doesn't have too much play time left on his clock. And plus, the Eagles of all people let him go. I understand he is good, I just don't feel as if he would perform at peak with the Falcons, and I don't deem him fitting to our team.

But doesn't the draft solve future issues? We are taling about the present. I don't think taking a flyer on Babin for a year or two would be that detrimental to the team. He is clearly better than any other DE we have and we could draft a DE next year in early rounds and get him some rotational snaps. We have to get pressure on these really good QB's or we are done in the playoffs. That has been our #1 issue and the team continues to ignore it. Abe simply can't do it all.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
BirdsAyeView

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:

But doesn't the draft solve future issues? We are taling about the present. I don't think taking a flyer on Babin for a year or two would be that detrimental to the team. He is clearly better than any other DE we have and we could draft a DE next year in early rounds and get him some rotational snaps. We have to get pressure on these really good QB's or we are done in the playoffs. That has been our #1 issue and the team continues to ignore it. Abe simply can't do it all.

I understand we need more depth at the position, but I just don't see Babin being worth the cap room. I would just get an end in the draft, rotate him in and out with what we have and play it from there rather than add Babin into the factor for 1-2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsAyeView wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:

I understand we need more depth at the position, but I just don't see Babin being worth the cap room. I would just get an end in the draft, rotate him in and out with what we have and play it from there rather than add Babin into the factor for 1-2 years.

I def understand what you are saying. The cap room part is def a concern and you are looking at the future. I am just looking at now. I think this team has real aspirations at reaching a championship now. I'd take the cap hit if we could win that trophy this year. I think Babin could be a difference maker we need this year. Now after? Maybe not. But I'd feel a lot better if this team had a history of drafting great pass rushers. Unfortunately, that is def not the case. TD has not drafted a DE in the first two rounds since he has been GM and that is going on 5+ years? And we wonder why we haven't been successful in the playoffs? Having a dominant pass rush is crucial to playoff success in the NFL. Just like dominant pitching is imporant to playoff success in the MLB. You have to have that when you get to the second season because everyone there is good. That is the X factor.

BirdsAyeView

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:

I def understand what you are saying. The cap room part is def a concern and you are looking at the future. I am just looking at now. I think this team has real aspirations at reaching a championship now. I'd take the cap hit if we could win that trophy this year. I think Babin could be a difference maker we need this year. Now after? Maybe not. But I'd feel a lot better if this team had a history of drafting great pass rushers. Unfortunately, that is def not the case. TD has not drafted a DE in the first two rounds since he has been GM and that is going on 5+ years? And we wonder why we haven't been successful in the playoffs? Having a dominant pass rush is crucial to playoff success in the NFL. Just like dominant pitching is imporant to playoff success in the MLB. You have to have that when you get to the second season because everyone there is good. That is the X factor.

I see where you're going with this. And I agree completely our pass rush is super shaky, but could Babin make THAT much of a difference? Looking at it this way: Babin is great, I just don't see him being THE force that pushes the Falcons all the way to the Super Bowl. We are definitely a Super Bowl caliber team this year, we are just balancing on a bunch of "What If" statement. What if Abraham and Biermann perform excellent in the playoffs? What if our pass rush peaks in the playoffs? What if Turner picks up his performance? What if the teams we play against have sub par pass games? I can completely agree that pass rush is our biggest concern right now, but I don't think that Babin is the answer, and I don't see him being enough to work our way up the Playoff ladder. At this point all we can do is sit back and watch it unfold.

Last edited by BirdsAyeView on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Mekias

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babin can help us right now. That's clear to me. He's mostly a one-trick pony but that one trick (harassing the QB) is game changing. Teams have won Superbowls with a good pass rush and not much else.

Sure his numbers were inflated by playing a Wide-9 but there's a basic set of skills that pass rushers implement and those don't change a great deal. I think Nolan is smart enough to use a guy like Babin in advantageous situations.

That being said, I doubt he'll clear waivers. Someone will grab him. It doesn't really make sense for us to try and claim him (even if we could afford the cap hit). We're so far down the waiver list that, if he got to us, he'd almost surely clear waivers if we pass. No sense in taking on that contract if we don't have to.

Actually, I'm not very familiar with how this works. Would that contract be totally non-guaranteed? Could we release him at any time with no repercussions? I think Philly may be on the hook for any guaranteed portions but I'm not sure.
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsAyeView wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
BirdsAyeView wrote:

I see where you're going with this. And I agree completely our pass rush is super shaky, but could Babin make THAT much of a difference? Looking at it this way: Babin is great, I just don't see him being THE force that pushes the Falcons all the way to the Super Bowl. We are definitely a Super Bowl caliber team this year, we are just balancing on a bunch of "What If" statement. What if Abraham and Biermann perform excellent in the playoffs? What if our pass rush peaks in the playoffs? What if Turner picks up his performance? What if the teams we play against have sub par pass games? I can completely agree that pass rush is our biggest concern right now, but I don't think that Babin is the answer, and I don't see him being enough to work our way up the Playoff ladder. At this point all we can do is sit back and watch it unfold.

No doubt. But I think you have to consider what this guy can bring. We have all watched the Falcons this year and the pressure on QB's is terrible. If we blitzed a lot that would be different but we continue to rely on our Front 4 for pass rush and it doesnt get there. Freeman had all day to throw most of the game. Brees def torched us because he had all day to throw. You can't let guys do that and expect to win in the playoffs. Babs has had to move to DE which I believe is not helping the team as much as it would when he is inside. We need a guy who can get you that sack on 3rd and long. We def can't expect Kroy to to that now. He hasn't done that in the past much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: