Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers We Have Forgotten 12/11 Dexter Carter pg.2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: 49ers We Have Forgotten 12/11 Dexter Carter pg.2 Reply with quote

a few years back i did something similar to this and it eventually died off as all topics do, but i have seen many new posters and thought its a good time to re-hash it.

Basically I look back at some of the players on former 49er rosters and do a write up on them mostly plagerized from whatever i can find on them from the web.

It can get kind of interesting to hear peoples memories of some of these guys.

I will try to do a new player every week.

To start I will stay relatively current to todays generation as i am all of 28 years of age and can go back to the beginning of the glory days, lol.

Hopefully you guys like it, if not have a rotten day.

John Engelberger DE #95
6'4 260 lbs. DOB October 18th 1976

High School

Born in Heidelberg, Germany Engelberger lettered in Football for 2 years at Robert E. Lee High School in Springfield, Va., where he played tight end and linebacker. He caught 19 passes for 422 yards with four touchdowns while adding 94 tackles and three sacks as a linebacker as a senior.

College

Engelberger stayed local and attended Virginia Tech where he was a walk on and accumulated 6 sacks his freshman year. He was a second team All Big-East selction in his sophomore year after again accruing 6 sacks along with 70 tackles. As a junior he had 7.5 sacks on way to being named the teams outstanding defensive lineman and en route to his second All Big-East nomination. At the conclusion of his senior season, he was awarded the Paul Torgersen Award as the Hokie player who shows a commitment to hard work and great effort every time he takes the field. He played in 4 bowl games and a National Championship game.

NFL
He was drafted in the 2nd round 35th overall by the 49ers. He started 13 games as a rookie and had 3 sacks and a forced fumble. In year 2 Engelberger amassed a career high 4 forced fumbles to go with 4 sacks. In 2002 Engelberger played in 15 games though 0 were starts. Back as a starter in 03 and 04, Engelberger, in 04 set career highs in tackles(64) and sacks(6).

In 05 Engelberger was traded to the Denver Broncos for DB Willie Middlebrooks. As a Bronco he recorded 119 tackles and 3 sacks from 05-08. In 2007 he earned the teamís nomination for the Ed Block Courage Award by starting its final 12 games despite suffering a fifth-degree separation of the AC joint in his right shoulder in Week 4. Engelberger started the first six games of the season for the Broncos in 2008.

He was released by the Broncos in 2009.

In 9 season John Engelberger had 232 tackles, 20.5 sacks and 13 forced fumbles

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.

Last edited by clarkfn2284 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
blast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely remember this guy. Man were we bad the past decade.
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny because i remember that i loved watching him play because of his motor, the guy always seemed to just be moving all the time.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reemember him. I also remember when we got Middlebrooks. We kept signing and releasing him every week. Laughing

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was one of my favorite 49ers. Always love it when a Hokie becomes a 49er!

The thing i liked most about him was his toughness. He wasnt flashy or anything but was solid at his position and seemed like a real pro.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:

The thing i liked most about him was his toughness. He wasnt flashy or anything but was solid at his position and seemed like a real pro.

He always reminded me of the defensive version of an Ed McCafferey. He was always doing the little things and had the tendencies that would make a superior talent great. He was just an average player that more than likely out played his talent.

Kind of like a broke mans Justin Smith.

NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

He always reminded me of the defensive version of an Ed McCafferey. He was always doing the little things and had the tendencies that would make a superior talent great.

He was also apart of a great D-line with Stubblefield and BY. I think Andre Carter was apart of that line too. I miss some of those early 2000's 49er defenders like Julian Peterson, Tony Parrish, Lance Shulters, Jamie Winborn, Derek Smith, and Ahmad Plummer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

He always reminded me of the defensive version of an Ed McCafferey. He was always doing the little things and had the tendencies that would make a superior talent great.

He was also apart of a great D-line with Stubblefield and BY. I think Andre Carter was apart of that line too. I miss some of those early 2000's 49er defenders like Julian Peterson, Tony Parrish, Lance Shulters, Jamie Winborn, Derek Smith, and Ahmad Plummer

I was a huge Schulters fan and Zack Bronson and Ronnie Heard too. I believe at one point that D Line was aranked top 10 against the run in like 2002?

Funny you mention Ahmad Plummer because i was thinking about Antonio Langham and just how terrible he was at DB

NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

I was a huge Schulters fan and Zack Bronson and Ronnie Heard too. I believe at one point that D Line was aranked top 10 against the run in like 2002?

Funny you mention Ahmad Plummer because i was thinking about Antonio Langham and just how terrible he was at DB

Plummer had his bright moments and his dark moments. Atleast he wasnt Mike Rumph! LOL

The only thing I ever liked about Rumph was the hit he laid on Jerome Bettis during a game against the Steelers in San fran. I dont really remember anything else about the game or Mike's career, i just rememer him laying out Bettis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

Plummer had his bright moments and his dark moments. Atleast he wasnt Mike Rumph! LOL

The only thing I ever liked about Rumph was the hit he laid on Jerome Bettis during a game against the Steelers in San fran. I dont really remember anything else about the game or Mike's career, i just rememer him laying out Bettis.
No the hit he put on ED Mcaffery was something else

RAY LEWIS 2.0
You dont Kung-Fu,Kung-Fu is a way of life-
Jackie Chan
blast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge fan of Tony Parrish and he just disappeared..
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

hey hey thats my cousin you're talking about. he is the one who helped me get my two try outs with our niners.

but i remember engleberger when he was at va tech and thought he would be special here but it didnt work out that way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I remember this guy. Consummate pro who did all of the little things right, and none of the big ones. Taken in the infamous Carmazzi draft, Engelberger was one of the poster boys for our years in the wilderness. Good player, good guy, didn't miss him when he was gone.
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

hey hey thats my cousin you're talking about. he is the one who helped me get my two try outs with our niners.

but i remember engleberger when he was at va tech and thought he would be special here but it didnt work out that way

ahhhhh man sbrown why do you have to know everyone.......i cant make a non educated judgement on anyone without fear that you might have the six degrees of Kevin Bacon deal with them....lol

Didnt Langham go on to play for the Browns? or did he come from the Browns?

clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Ack! I remember this guy. Consummate pro who did all of the little things right, and none of the big ones. Taken in the infamous Carmazzi draft, Engelberger was one of the poster boys for our years in the wilderness. Good player, good guy, didn't miss him when he was gone.

haha your username is the best i have seen........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: