Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Back-Up QB in 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may get some Heat but Pryor has to be on his way out in Oakland and I think hes worth at least a shot to see what he can do in a sane environment
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grass is always greener....

Perhaps past backups were better such as Brian St. Pierre oh and you all loved Tommy Maddox.

I do agree that Lefty's windup regardless of age is a weakness, which contributes to his propensity for injury.

I would not use Batch's age or this past game to cast judgement and would be more inclined to keep him then Lefty. I do also believe that Batch could be released and called upon in emergency situations being that he is a resident of the city/area and im sure has little desire to go elsewhere.

Ryan Nassib - syracuse is a pretty steady level headed qb with good mechanics that should be about a 3rd-5th round value.

While this upcoming draft class has no clear cut qb leader that doesnt bring up a concern or disappoint in an area there are still several with adequate skills and potential. Many of them have the same issue, they crumble under pressure in their face or they are only good throwing to wide open receivers.

...you have a forum resume?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like EJ Manuel is the quarterback with most upside of whole draft class. If he's being drafted beyond 5th round, why not?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
I feel like EJ Manuel is the quarterback with most upside of whole draft class. If he's being drafted beyond 5th round, why not?

He has nice athletic potential, good size and his game has evolved from his junior to senior year.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still trying to figure out who these "elite" backup QB's are? As I saw it stated elsewhere and it appears to be the assumption here as well.

Career records for active Qb's
http://www.footballdb.com/qb-records.html

Are Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton "elite" backups?

at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't mind trading a low round pick for Colt McCoy to see what he can do.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Im still trying to figure out who these "elite" backup QB's are? As I saw it stated elsewhere and it appears to be the assumption here as well.

Career records for active Qb's
http://www.footballdb.com/qb-records.html

Are Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton "elite" backups?

I havent seen many people calling for stud back ups but rather younger, healthier ones.

I in now way think that there is any such thing as an "elite back up".... but better than Charlie Batch? Id probably lean towards yes at this time.

Just the lack of physical tools yesterday bothered me while watching Batch. I would say that both Grosssman or Orton have better physical tools and can still make NFL caliber throws.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of this one I started less than 3 months ago...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=498397

Turtle28 is some sort of psychic, however! Shocked

turtle28 wrote:
I'd say, consider signing Brian Hoyer and cutting Batch. Look I love Batch and what he's meant to the org for a decade, but they don't need a 37 year old inactive #3 qb.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Crazy how we were talking about "We should think about it" and after it happens, we realize we can't wait.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but thing is... It's hard to believe that Batch's performance has more to do with him aging than the realistic reason; he's just flat-out rusty.

Quarterbacks of Batch's caliber (literally a coach on field) knows his limit, always. He's throwing weird and when's last time he had that many of interceptions in a game? especially against Browns?

Recently Sunday indicate that it was WHOLE fluke of just a flat-out bad game. It wasn't just Batch that struggled, whole offense were.
Leader O'Cola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
yeah but thing is... It's hard to believe that Batch's performance has more to do with him aging than the realistic reason; he's just flat-out rusty.

Quarterbacks of Batch's caliber (literally a coach on field) knows his limit, always. He's throwing weird and when's last time he had that many of interceptions in a game? especially against Browns?

Recently Sunday indicate that it was WHOLE fluke of just a flat-out bad game. It wasn't just Batch that struggled, whole offense were.

are you on drugs?

2 of his picks were flat out terrible throws that showed a lack of self-awareness with respect to arm strength.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leader O'Cola wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

are you on drugs?

2 of his picks were flat out terrible throws that showed a lack of self-awareness with respect to arm strength.

I get that he may be a bit off with his comments, but wow! Laughing

His picks were horrible throws. I have no idea why he would have even decided to make them based on the fact that Wallace had no separation on the double-covered throw downfield and the quadruple coverage pass through the middle.

I still can't understand why we havn't given Dixon a chance. He's on the Ravens practice squad. You think he doesn't know what he's going against? At least he can extend with his legs if he can't make the throws that we would expect from Big Ben.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's time to call Maddox out of retirement.

Quote:

I still can't understand why we havn't given Dixon a chance. He's on the Ravens practice squad. You think he doesn't know what he's going against? At least he can extend with his legs if he can't make the throws that we would expect from Big Ben.

First off, after Ben was injured, and Ravens signed Dixon to the practice squad, NFL rules says its illegal to sign a player from a practice squad from an upcoming opponent, so it was impossible to sign him at that point. The Ravens also cut and resigned him, making it impossible for the Steelers to sign him until after the 2nd Ravens game.

Another thing, he's also injury prone. Oh yeah, he can run around, but that didn't help him in the past.
Dixon is smarter than people give him credit for, but even then, I don't know if he could learn the offense, even if they put old plays in, for him to be an effective quarterback.

There's just no reason to bring him in to be effective. Dixon played in Pittsburgh, so people feel like he's a better choice than anyone else, when he clearly isn't.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionslicer wrote:

Quote:

First off, after Ben was injured, and Ravens signed Dixon to the practice squad, NFL rules says its illegal to sign a player from a practice squad from an upcoming opponent, so it was impossible to sign him at that point. The Ravens also cut and resigned him, making it impossible for the Steelers to sign him until after the 2nd Ravens game.

Another thing, he's also injury prone. Oh yeah, he can run around, but that didn't help him in the past.
Dixon is smarter than people give him credit for, but even then, I don't know if he could learn the offense, even if they put old plays in, for him to be an effective quarterback.

There's just no reason to bring him in to be effective. Dixon played in Pittsburgh, so people feel like he's a better choice than anyone else, when he clearly isn't.

I thought Dixon was on there for awhile. I heard several places talk about him being there, but no specifics. If they cut him, wouldn't we have time to sign him before they can re-sign him? That part doesn't make sense to me.

Our line has also vastly improved since he last played. I can't see how Batch is better than Dixon at all. Dixon clearly is twice as fast as Batch and has to have a stronger arm. Seeing how poor Batch's decisions were the other day, I can't say Dixon's could be any worse; if they are.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

My sentiments are much the same. We know Charlie is older, but we've heard the same story for 5-6 years from everyone, just like we do about our defense. His arm was never "strong" but good, just because your 38 doesn't mean you cant throw, it usually just means it takes a little more effort to get warmed up and stay in shape, it takes longer to recover, it hurts more and you are more aware of it. He also knows and understands his head coaches mindset, is intelligent, does throw a nice ball with touch, gets rid of it, knows his receivers and blockers and knows and understands his job is to get us through til Ben gets back and enjoys being here.

I consider us to be fortunate to have one of the most reliable options at backup in the league over the last several years.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionslicer wrote:

Quote:

They obviously grew very frustrated with his lack of development and ability to progress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: