Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Back-Up QB in 13
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Back-Up QB in 13 Reply with quote

I think I've made my opinion on this issue clear over the years.... I have wanted both Byron and Charlie replaced as our #2 for years.

Maybe Byron gets a pass since he was hurt most of the Ravens game but I hope not.

So who would you like to see as the back-up QB next year whether it be a free agent or rookie from next years draft.[/url]

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like both Hoyer and Kafka.

Guys like Thigpen and Moore...possibly Kolb or Matt Flynn depending on their contract status would make nice vet stopgaps.

I guess since they choose Hoyer, I'd look to sign Hoyer as the #2 and see what shakes loose in FA or the draft.

If a QB takes a Mallett like fall, investing a 3rd or 4th isn't a bad idea.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Cassel maybe? The Chiefs are going to over draft a QB this year. So he'll probably be cut. Has won in Haley's offense, so it might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times has Byron been injured as our backup Qb? When your backup needs back up there seems to be a problem.

I'm hoping that Hoyer can maybe be a solution if they like what they see out of him. If that game plan used yesterday is the best that we have for back ups, then i definitely want to see us get younger at at least one of the spots, possibly both.
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a QB in my mocks for years, last draft I wanted Austin Davis, but the team hasn't really looked at any so I figured "the team knows best" in keeping Leftwich and Batch. They didn't.

I would cut Leftwich and Batch and steal Case Keenum off the Texans practice squad to be our #3 behind Kafka for this season.

Then I would try to trade our 5th round pick in next years draft to the Browns for Colt McCoy, they probably won't do it though, at least not until the season is over.

As for the draft, right now I like QB Adam Kennedy in the 5th or later rounds.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Matt Cassel maybe? The Chiefs are going to over draft a QB this year. So he'll probably be cut. Has won in Haley's offense, so it might be worth a look.

Bingo.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release leftwich, sign a fa qb to compete against batch, draft a late round qb.

Even when batch had a really sub-par game, it doesn't help that all of our rbs fumbled, mike wallace were literally just a body on field and our best receiver aren't playing. Id rather that we keep a rookie qb as our 3rd string, 2nd string if he shows plenty.

This way we will know we take the depth chart seriously (a fa qb can either easily outplay batch due to youth and better athleticism/strength on throwing the ball but at same time batch can easily outplay the fa qb due to the awarness and experience under our system.

If we were to make a transition from old qbs to new qbs, i'd rather do it smoothly and timingly right.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they really like Hoyer I could see them re-signing him to compete.

If Cassel would come cheap he would be ideal.

I think Chuck Batch will retire after this season and it might be a good idea to part ways with Leftwich.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Batch doesn't retire, we still need to get rid of him. Batch/Leftwich are not backup options.

Sign a veteran, maybe draft somebody too if a decent enough guy falls in one of the later rounds.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Leftwich was an ideal backup because he has starting experience. However, like Dcash mentioned, he's been so injury prone so what's the point of even having him on the team? I mean the guy stumbled into the end zone without being touched and hurt his shoulder. How does that happen?

I do want a veteran backup next year with starting experience. Not a rookie. A rookie thirder string would be fine. I think the Steelers have too many holes to fill than to spend a higher pick on a backup. I wouldn't mind the guys that have been mentioned so far like Moore or Kolb. Cassell wouldn't be bad but didn't he and Haley have problems together? Still someone like that would be a decent backup.

One interesting name that could be thrown out there is Michael Vick. I think his days in Philly could be numbered since it looks like Reid is as good as gone and the new coach probably wants a fresh start. However, he is a turnover machine. There were rumblings last time when he was available that the Steelers might be interested. If nothing more it makes for an interesting discussion.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Hasselbeck as our backup if the Titans release him?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
What about Hasselbeck as our backup if the Titans release him?

He's a fossil. We have enough of those.

Hoyer is a decent backup.

Beyond that...sign another young guy or possibly draft one in the later rounds.

Cassell isnt a bad idea for a backup if he is cut.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leftwitch is a decent backup option. He is less so with the newer style of offense put in. I think the Steelers have a veteran backup and a rookie to groom.

As I've said before, this draft class of QBs is really weak. The Steelers could get someone like EJ Manuel or Sean Renfree in the 5th-7th rounds. Those are good risks on QBs.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the man has said this himself. There is no such thing as the 'Todd Haley Offence'. It is a system that changes with the quarterback.

For instance, if he had RGIII he would design different plays to fit his strengths instead of the ones he uses with Ben.

Also, Dook, we didn't sign Kafka.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
First of all, the man has said this himself. There is no such thing as the 'Todd Haley Offence'. It is a system that changes with the quarterback.

For instance, if he had RGIII he would design different plays to fit his strengths instead of the ones he uses with Ben.

Also, Dook, we didn't sign Kafka.

Im pretty sure he just meant that Haley knows how to use him and had success with him in KC.

However, thats not entirely true either, as Charlie Weis ran the offense in 2010, and has a knack for making QBs look better than they are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: