Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shurmur's biggest win; Saban buzz in air
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Shurmur's biggest win; Saban buzz in air Reply with quote

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1233651497/Shurmurs-biggest-win-Saban-buzz-in-air

Shurmur's biggest win; Saban buzz in air

By Steve Doerschuk
Ramblings, more lucid than incoherent, we hope, from a frenetic second half.
• It’s the holiday season. The zebras were making holding calls as if working on commission.
• If you are familiar with the minors in baseball, the Browns’ offense performed for a while in the second half like a Frontier League expansion team.
• I seem to recall a game at Tennessee early in the expansion era when the Browns forced seven turnovers but lost fairly convincingly.
What the fellas did with their first five takeaways today wasn’t that bad ... but it reminded me of Nashville.
• The word is it will be a hard push for Nick Saban. Makes sense. An SEC guy very familiar to Mr. Haslam. A former Kent State player with a feel for you.
A guy who likes a challenge needing to prove he can handle one in the NFL, which he left with a bad taste after two years in Miami.

• So what if it was Charlie Batch. Know what I mean?
• We’re typing this sentence as the Browns take over at their own 39 leading 20-14 with 7:51 left.
Most days in this kind of a situation, this has felt like a loss waiting to happen. Today? Doesn’t feel that way at all today.
• Brandon Weeden slid into a sack when he could have thrown it out of bounds. Looked like a choke play. On the next play, he rifled a first-down strike to Josh Gordon. There’s that resiliency thing.
Just when you think he’s Spergon Winn, he makes a play. Dude can be hard to figure.
• Then on a crucial third and four on third down, with 5:20 left, Weeden can’t convert what looked like a very makeable throw over the middle to Gordon. Punt.
• But the offense is what it is, and this is a chance for the Browns’ defense, which has looked “real” quite often lately, to prove it’s real ... really.
The defense flunked a similar test in the first half, and to fail this one, too, would be ... can we get an expletive around here?
• • •
Brandon Weeden hit his head on Joe Thomas’ leg and left the game with a ringing bell. Shades of Colt McCoy.
And into the game trotted McCoy with three minutes left, and visions of retribution dancing in his head.
• • •
There’s turnover No. 7. And there’s a 20-14 Browns lead up on the big board. Not the Nashville game. A happier song than that one.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer a younger guy and an offensive coach. But hey at least the 34 would be back Confused

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
I'd prefer a younger guy and an offensive coach. But hey at least the 34 would be back Confused

When he was in Cleveland as defensive coordinator, we ran a 4-3. I think he will evaluate the talent we have and choose the scheme that best fits that talent.

Fairly certain he ran a 4-3 at Michigan State, LSU and Miami during his tenure in those places.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

When he was in Cleveland as defensive coordinator, we ran a 4-3. I think he will evaluate the talent we have and choose the scheme that best fits that talent.

Not arguing in favor of a switch. But I would argue the d line talent is there for a nasty front 3 with depth if a switch was to be considered. Sheard plays from a 2 point a lot any ways so just need 1 more pass rusher any ways.

DQ and Gong have played inside before together and JMJ would be good there as well.

D.Moore and M.T'eo would still be in the mix as the Browns pick but You could include Jarvis Jones in as well in the 34.

Like I bolded before, I am not advocating a switch but the current D front 7 depth makes a transition back to a 34 quite easy JMOT.

Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Shurmur's biggest win; Saban buzz in air Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
• Brandon Weeden slid into a sack when he could have thrown it out of bounds. Looked like a choke play. On the next play, he rifled a first-down strike to Josh Gordon. There’s that resiliency thing.
Just when you think he’s Spergon Winn, he makes a play. Dude can be hard to figure.

That was absolutely the right thing to do and a veteran type of decision. I don't think this reporter thought that one through very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Not arguing in favor of a switch. But I would argue the d line talent is there for a nasty front 3 with depth if a switch was to be considered. Sheard plays from a 2 point a lot any ways so just need 1 more pass rusher any ways.

DQ and Gong have played inside before together and JMJ would be good there as well.

D.Moore and M.T'eo would still be in the mix as the Browns pick but You could include Jarvis Jones in as well in the 34.

Like I bolded before, I am not advocating a switch but the current D front 7 depth makes a transition back to a 34 quite easy JMOT.

No disagreement on the DL, but I seriously question the LBs. But anyways...

Saban would be an idiot to leave Alabama for Cleveland...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

It is rather complicated why I disagree with the bolded. But the short answer is "we don't have the players and you don't fix what isn't broken"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

No disagreement on the DL,1 but I seriously question the LBs. But anyways...

2 Saban would be an idiot to leave Alabama for Cleveland...

1 I think They would be fine at ILB but getting 2 34 OLB's plus Sheard and Stephens making the transition would be key.

2 If he wins another national championship for Bama this year, perhaps he would want try take on the NFL again as that is the only spot he hasn't had success at.

brownsfan1710

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a hybrid front even acceptable? We really have the DLine personnel to play a 3-4 and a 4-3, and hitting on a pass rusher (which most of us want) would give us our rush linebackers. I really wouldn't be opposed to it, although I don't think we have the DB's to go blitz happy.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

It is rather complicated why I disagree with the bolded. But the short answer is "we don't have the players and you don't fix what isn't broken"

Let's talk about if you want.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505648

Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownsfan1710 wrote:
Is a hybrid front even acceptable? We really have the DLine personnel to play a 3-4 and a 4-3, and hitting on a pass rusher (which most of us want) would give us our rush linebackers. I really wouldn't be opposed to it, although I don't think we have the DB's to go blitz happy.

I'm sure we have a few packages that involve 3 down lineman. Even some that resemble a base 3-4.

The thing to consider about 3-4 vs 4-3 is that success of either base defense depends largely on 2 factors:

1. The physical attributes and playing style of the 7 individuals matching the general philosophy of the base
2. The experience of the 7 players in that scheme

The philosophies differ pretty greatly, by the way.

The 3-4 relies on the 3 lineman to occupy gaps so that the 4 LBs can be clean to stop the run AND rush the passer. Very athletic LBs are a requirement, no matter HOW good the DLineman are. The LBs need to OFTEN play the run, rush the passer, and cover receivers-all on the same play.

The 4-3 relies on 4 lineman to either occupy gaps to help the LBs to stop the run OR to get penetration to rush the passer. There are also times where the DLinemen drop into coverage.

Generally, the 4-3 is more complex. And the 3-4 involves more misdirection.

If we look at good base 3-4 teams, we see about 7-8 athletic LBs that can stop the run, rush the passer, and cover receivers.

Right now we have a pretty solid 8-man rotation on our 4 man line, we are far away from a solid 7-8 LBs, forget the 3-4 as a base or get ready for several years of bad defense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have saban. And I also think that we would lean towards a 4-3 scheme, while running a multiple front defense. Somewhat Belichickian. Also, I think that he would know how to get the most out of his players and also would garner respect from his players.

Props to NickZamba for the sig
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saban already had his shot.

Not sure i want to go through that here.

Is he gonna lose interest and just skip town again?

I didn't think he was that successful either.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Saban already had his shot.

Not sure i want to go through that here.

Is he gonna lose interest and just skip town again?

I didn't think he was that successful either.
Belachek Blew his 1st time around too. Confused

roger murdock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Saban have a winning record in the NFL? Didn't the team go 1 and 15 without him? I think his impact as a coach is underrated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: