Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

O-line solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw that on PFT. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/packers-wont-activate-derek-sherrod-from-pup-list/

Dang, was hoping for an X-mas miracle. With out a solid T it's hard to imagine this team doing a whole lot. Going to have to run the ball more and make defenses honest. I don't know if I believe in that line to block enough for the run though. Rodgers also has to release the ball quicker which means shorter passes.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I saw it today too. Staff says dude has a "noticeable" limp after nearly a year off! That can't be good. I also noticed Benson is "unlikely" to return at this point since his foot is more complicated than previously imagined? I can't remember where I read it today. I think it was the Packers Press Gazette.

Sucks man. Sherrod was gonna step in, shore up the OL, and we were going to march to the Superbowl.

At least in my dreams. Crying or Very sad

I also don't put this problem on TT. If Bulaga stayed healthy, Sherrod stayed healthy, we'd have two first round tackles protecting Rodgers, two great guards, and the only weak point would have been center. It's not like teams are expected to have 4 starting caliber tackles on their roster. Snake bit by injuries. Not much you can do this late in the year. Confused

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blounder in this whole mess IMO was the Benson/Bishop deal. I said it from day 1 when Bishop got injured, I'd play the preseason with 89 instead of 90 and wait and see. I know they like Benson but the special IR spot could have been used for somebody more important IMO. If Hawk or Jones goes down, I have no idea what we will do. I'd love to have Bishop back since he was an excellent blitzing ILB too and he brought an attitude to the defense. But I am not sure it matters, this team is a complete mess with all these injuries, nobody can prepare for that.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but TT and MM do deserve blame for the state of our OL. Sherrod was injured before the season began, if they counted on him being available as a back up then that is a failure squarely on their shoulders. Its the NFL, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

EDS is our only competent back up, and he's only competent at backing up the center.

Again, I'm not saying anything crazy like they should be on the hot seat, just that they should get some blame for this.

Its not ok with me to go into the season with EDS as your only backup, especially knowing beforehand Sherrod would be injured and our line isn't that great or durable to begin with, is that ok with you?
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Sorry, but TT and MM do deserve blame for the state of our OL. Sherrod was injured before the season began, if they counted on him being available as a back up then that is a failure squarely on their shoulders. Its the NFL, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

EDS is our only competent back up, and he's only competent at backing up the center.

Again, I'm not saying anything crazy like they should be on the hot seat, just that they should get some blame for this.

Its not ok with me to go into the season with EDS as your only backup, especially knowing beforehand Sherrod would be injured and our line isn't that great or durable to begin with, is that ok with you?
Not sure what they can do. There isn't 20 Jake Long's sitting in free agency waiting to sign for Vet Minimum. On draft day, I doubt they knew what was going to happen with Sherrod. Plus they might have gotten run out of town if they spent high picks on the offense again. It was no secret the defense needed an overhaul. If both of our tackles stay healthy we are not having this discussion now. Can't blame injuries on TT or MM. Just a bad situation, I think we have the future on the roster, but they couldn't stay/get healthy this year.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

Why is this so? They aren't doctors and the human body is a fickle thing. What should they have done differently?

Simply not true... He needs time, but he's played it before and rather well too.

Blame for Bulaga getting injured? For Sherrod not getting back? Please show me a team with 4 players deep at tackle. Hint: that team doesn't exist.

But they thought Sherrod would be coming back. Plus, the draft offered help for the defense. What draft pick/ player would you give up for that tackle you want? Or do you think there is a serviceable tackle in FA?

Truth is, sans a hand full of guys, Tackles are all 1st round picks. So what is the idea here of blame..?
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Sorry, but TT and MM do deserve blame for the state of our OL.

Who should then? Even before the start of the season, we were short on offensive lineman and only one of them (EDS) had significant experience playing.
JCamGOPACKGO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Who should then? Even before the start of the season, we were short on offensive lineman and only one of them (EDS) had significant experience playing.

Think you misread that. He said they do deserve blame and I take it you agree with him. I do as well. The injuries haven't been handled well. We knew we were rolling into the season with Newhouse protecting the blindside of the NFL's most valuable player. Sure, we thought Sherrod would make it back but I don't like the fact that we did nothing to upgrade Newhouse before the season when we knew he would be the guy for 8-10 weeks at least. Newhouse is nothing more than a solid backup LT. I think signing Saturday was a bad move when we have EDS capable of playing at C and only Newhouse to play LT. We should have upgraded LT instead of signing the almost 40 year old Jeff Saturday. Surely someone was out there that would be better than Newhouse on the blind side!

Nothing we could really do about Bulaga though. Can't plan much for a season-ending injury before it happens. Depth is always good but those players are considered depth guys for a reason.

And the Benson/Bishop thing could really cost us.

Shout out to justo on the avatar!
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCamGOPACKGO wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Think you misread that. He said they do deserve blame and I take it you agree with him. I do as well. The injuries haven't been handled well. We knew we were rolling into the season with Newhouse protecting the blindside of the NFL's most valuable player. Sure, we thought Sherrod would make it back but I don't like the fact that we did nothing to upgrade Newhouse before the season when we knew he would be the guy for 8-10 weeks at least. Newhouse is nothing more than a solid backup LT. I think signing Saturday was a bad move when we have EDS capable of playing at C and only Newhouse to play LT. We should have upgraded LT instead of signing the almost 40 year old Jeff Saturday. Surely someone was out there that would be better than Newhouse on the blind side!

Nothing we could really do about Bulaga though. Can't plan much for a season-ending injury before it happens. Depth is always good but those players are considered depth guys for a reason.

And who is this magical LT that is an upgrade over Newhouse that should have been pursued? The option wasn't out there unless you want to forego Perry, Worthy, Hayward, or Daniels, all of whom have had significant impact on the defense's rise in play this year and look to continue it in the future.

And the Benson/Bishop thing was unfortunate, but they placed higher value on a RB that seemed to help get the offense clicking than an ILB they felt they could easily replace with the "next man up" philosophy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Hawkfan191 wrote:
saw McGinn throw this idea around..wondering what you guys think...
Newhouse--Lang--Saturday--Sitton--Barclay

right now we have EDS whose struggling at LG and Lang at RT forcing us to try and help out two different positions across the line. If we move Lang back to LG it solidifies one position. For the most part Newhouse has been decent this year. By inserting Barclay at RT we wouldn't have anyone playing out of position and we would be able to focus on giving Barclay help, instead of giving both EDS and Lang help

thoughts?
No. We have our best 5 guys out there right now IMO. Barclay at RT would almost certainly be worse than EDS at LG. This line is what it is and Mac is going to have to figure out a way to deal with it. If Sherrod comes back I wouldn't mind it if we went with a Sherrod-Lang-Saturday-Sitton-Newhouse line. But I don't see that happening.

Interesting. I'm listening to the WDUZ on the internet right now and they are talking about inserting Barclay so we'd only have one weak area to give help to with a TE or RB. They were saying putting EDS at LG is weakening the middle of our line big time.
I am sure Joe Blow at WDUZ knows more that Super Bowl winning head coach Mike McCarthy Rolling Eyes That is their job, to speculate. If Mac thought that Barclay at RT and Lang at LG was better, he would have done it to keep the continuity on the left side. You can not realistically put a RB or TE on Barclay's side every play.

It was Harry Sidney speculating, not Joe Blow. Harry does have a point. Why would you weaken TWO positions by moving your starting LG to RT and put in your backup center in his stead?
But if you have Barclay in, then you weaken at least TWO positions becayse you are using a TE for a double team or a RB. Neither of them can run a route then. Its simply not an option, or Mac would have done it. What has Barclay done to prove he can slow down a guy like Justin Tuck? You have to trust the coaching staff on this, we have our 5 BEST healthy guys out there right now.

Put Crabby in there to help Barclay? But you are right, MM would have done that if he thought that was a viable option. I just found it an interesting hypothesis.

Then who is helping Newhouse? Look out Aaron!! Laughing

Newhouse has played decently until the other night. Of course he had Lang on his right instead of EDS...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
JCamGOPACKGO wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Blink wrote:

And who is this magical LT that is an upgrade over Newhouse that should have been pursued? The option wasn't out there unless you want to forego Perry, Worthy, Hayward, or Daniels, all of whom have had significant impact on the defense's rise in play this year and look to continue it in the future.

And the Benson/Bishop thing was unfortunate, but they placed higher value on a RB that seemed to help get the offense clicking than an ILB they felt they could easily replace with the "next man up" philosophy.

I wasn't talking about the draft...that's why I mentioned doing something at LT instead of signing Saturday. I like what we did in the draft for the future of our defense. I was mainly talking about making a move in the offseason via trade or free agency. Surely someone could have been brought in. No magic necessary.......

spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCamGOPACKGO wrote:

I wasn't talking about the draft...that's why I mentioned doing something at LT instead of signing Saturday. I like what we did in the draft for the future of our defense. I was mainly talking about making a move in the offseason via trade or free agency. Surely someone could have been brought in. No magic necessary.......

And who was this? Someone good enough to be a potential upgrade over Newhouse without being a major investment? It's not like teams let decent OT prospects get away if they can help it.

You say it should have happened, I say it wasn't really ever an option.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys, you can't be that naive. Its not a huge deal, but TT and MM were directly responsible for the players we have on the OL and the OL isn't getting it done.

Dunder,

Its pretty simple. Sherrod wasn't ready to play going into the season, the human body is indeed a fickle thing so common sense says you prepare for the worst. If they banked the tackle position on Sherrod coming back healthy then they were wrong. Its clear as day. They gambled, they lost. Blame deserved.

You cant blame them for Bulaga going down, but I sure as hell can blame them for a poor contingency plan. Making two guys switch positions, one just now a starter AND switching positions, mid season is not a smart idea. Continuity is key, the system is set up to screw up continuity even more in the event of an injury. Poor plan, blame deserved.

Show me this evidence of EDS ever playing guard well, I have never seen it. He came in decently for Wells vs Detroit, but that was at center. I think saying he's anything more than serviceable at even center is generous.

I really don't understand how TT and MM can skirt blame for this when Sherrod has been injured since last year.
JCamGOPACKGO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
JCamGOPACKGO wrote:

And who was this? Someone good enough to be a potential upgrade over Newhouse without being a major investment? It's not like teams let decent OT prospects get away if they can help it.

You say it should have happened, I say it wasn't really ever an option.

Max Starks...he signed a one year deal with Pittsburgh worth a little over $800k, which counted only $600k against the cap. We could have topped the and maybe done 2 years to bring him to Green Bay.

Marcus McNeill....maybe we could have gotten a year out of him until Sherrod got healthy, could have convinced him to play for a contender one more time instead of him retiring. Yea he's old but at least create competition.

Kareem McKenzie...I don't believe he was ever signed and surely he's got something left in the tank.

I'm not saying all these guys would be upgrades, but I think one of them would have ended up being one and LIS creating competition can be enough sometimes. Maybe if Newhouse knew there was a capable and ready LT behind him these days, he may not give up on the play most times someone beats him.

Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me ask you guys this, with Sherrod a huge question mark right now ( is he even going to be ready for next year?) yet alone how good is he going to be, and with Bulaga possibly missing next season, don't you think we need either a draft pick early on or a decent priced, but don't have to break the bank situation, FA. A swing tackle would be perfect but still tough to find. Just would suck to see Rodgers get blasted around for another season before people decide to say well its time to get some onlinemen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: