Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

O-line solution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Sorry, but TT and MM do deserve blame for the state of our OL. Sherrod was injured before the season began, if they counted on him being available as a back up then that is a failure squarely on their shoulders. Its the NFL, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

EDS is our only competent back up, and he's only competent at backing up the center.

Again, I'm not saying anything crazy like they should be on the hot seat, just that they should get some blame for this.

Its not ok with me to go into the season with EDS as your only backup, especially knowing beforehand Sherrod would be injured and our line isn't that great or durable to begin with, is that ok with you?

I agree, we added a 7th round rookie to our OL and Jeff Saturday was an utter bust. Wasn't comfortable with Newhouse starting from week 1, you don't let a QB who has already missed games with 2 concussions go out there with a weak OL. Miss that OL of Clifton-Rivera-Flanigan-Wahle-Tauscher, that group could run and pass pro, but the league recognizes quality OL and pays for them now, not sure you could ever afford that group now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
So let me ask you guys this, with Sherrod a huge question mark right now ( is he even going to be ready for next year?) yet alone how good is he going to be, and with Bulaga possibly missing next season, don't you think we need either a draft pick early on or a decent priced, but don't have to break the bank situation, FA. A swing tackle would be perfect but still tough to find. Just would suck to see Rodgers get blasted around for another season before people decide to say well its time to get some onlinemen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
So let me ask you guys this, with Sherrod a huge question mark right now ( is he even going to be ready for next year?) yet alone how good is he going to be, and with Bulaga possibly missing next season, don't you think we need either a draft pick early on or a decent priced, but don't have to break the bank situation, FA. A swing tackle would be perfect but still tough to find. Just would suck to see Rodgers get blasted around for another season before people decide to say well its time to get some onlinemen.

Obviously the line needs to be addressed. Don't think TT will do it via FA, but the draft is a good way to find some talent, and it is a position that has not proven to be the most difficult transition to the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Its so hard to say. On one hand I think Sherrod could be the franchise LT we are looking for. On the other hand, I hate going into next year not KNOWING. I am not real worried about Bulaga. I would rather draft Jon Cooper and sure up the middle. But the more I watch Marshall Newhouse the more I really want to make sure I have a great pass pro LT.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Come on guys, you can't be that naive. Its not a huge deal, but TT and MM were directly responsible for the players we have on the OL and the OL isn't getting it done.

Yeah... Yeah, I am that naive, or perhaps that schooled. Big guys are rare. Big guys that play tackle, even more rare. Big guys that play LT? Even more so. The people we had and those slotted would make a good Oline. I don't know if it's still the worst, these guys haven't been together very long. I don't know if discussing this now is the right time. Maybe in a few weeks would be better.

Dunder,

Its pretty simple. Sherrod wasn't ready to play going into the season, the human body is indeed a fickle thing so common sense says you prepare for the worst. If they banked the tackle position on Sherrod coming back healthy then they were wrong. Its clear as day. They gambled, they lost. Blame deserved.

It's not that simple. Guy doesn't come back as doctors expected... Let's blame the coaches and GM? What were the medical reports? What did the doctors say? Or are you just angry so someone has to be at fault? If it's anger, it's not logic dictating your reason. Like many have said, who is this replacement? Datko was a smart pick up, not ready though - who knows maybe that's still a possibility. But Newhouse has played well. Draft a first round guy - cause that's the only T that will come in and start and play better? OK, and if Sherrod would have come back? What about next year with Sherrod, Newhouse, Bulaga, player X you drafted? It's not sustainable and you will get nothing for any of those guys. That kinda drafting creates holes.

You cant blame them for Bulaga going down, but I sure as hell can blame them for a poor contingency plan. Making two guys switch positions, one just now a starter AND switching positions, mid season is not a smart idea. Continuity is key, the system is set up to screw up continuity even more in the event of an injury. Poor plan, blame deserved.

Wait a second... How do we know this wont work, they've worked together for what 2 weeks? And what is the contingency plan you keep talking about? You don't like the line... OK. But this isn't the line anyone expected and you can't prove that in the slightest. Something's really do come down to bad luck. Like "Fail Mary" plays. Should we blame Capers for the "Fail Mary"?

Show me this evidence of EDS ever playing guard well, I have never seen it. He came in decently for Wells vs Detroit, but that was at center. I think saying he's anything more than serviceable at even center is generous.

Whatever, just shows what you know. This is just a radical angry response. He's made 3 starts at guard (moved during the Detroit game to center) and he did quite well. Yeah, he had a stinker against the Giants. So what? Watched Lang have stinkers too. But nobody made complaints last year and almost everyone thought he did a remarkable job as a second stringer off the bench.

I really don't understand how TT and MM can skirt blame for this when Sherrod has been injured since last year.

Skirt blame? You lost me here, I haven't heard them being blamed by anyone or responding to such drivel from a chat site...
MUOH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:

With so many questions about both tackle sports I think that they need to operate with the assumption that neither Sherrod nor Bulaga will be available in 2013.
byzr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know TT doesn't dabble much in FA and with the looming FA's we have our activity in free agency will likely but little to none, anybody going to be available next year? building line depth through the draft takes tiem. you don't find guys like J. Thomas or J. Long very often so maybe free agency is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:

I must have missed the part about Bulaga missing next year. As for taking a tackle early next year, I'm not opposed assuming the right was on the board next year.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I must have missed the part about Bulaga missing next year. As for taking a tackle early next year, I'm not opposed assuming the right was on the board next year.

Value based drafting is key here. Given the quality of the player and the slot you're selecting in, is it logical to make that guy yours?

You build depth and you draft talent. It doesn't come down to the whole, well we have two good tackles so we won't draft any of those mantra. The hole roster has holes (RB, QB, OL, DL, ILB, S).
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I think you always have your eyes open if value walks your way at the tackle position. That said, Bulaga will be fine and only they know the deal with Sherrod. If TT was to go high at tackle again, odds are that's a very bad sign for Sherrod in terms of long term health. I don't feel this is the case though. Good chance TT will feel OK about the tackle spot come draft day with the two 1st rounders and Newhouse backing them up. I'm sure they have bench marks set for Datko in the weight room also. Again, only they will know what they have there on draft day.

Let me ask you guys this. Do you guys like ANY of the OT prospects in this class more so than a healthy Bulaga and or Sherrod? Clearly it's at a premium if Sherrod's leg is still an issue. But lets just say they med green him before the draft. Again, only they will knwo! But Bulaga and Sherrod were both very young prospects and still will be come draft day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where all the "sky is falling" with Bulaga is coming from. They weren't even sure if he was going to need surgery or not last anything much was said about it. Everything so far has been expecting him to be good to go for TC next year. That's different from Sherrod. They knew right away that there were some complications and it could easily drag into this season. Just because Sherrod has had a long rehab doesn't mean there is any reason to expect we won't have Bulaga from the start next season. Sherrod is a little behind schedule but he was never really expected to even having a chance of being ready before mid season.

Really from the outside looking in, I see nothing to worry about with the Tackle situation. They know more than we do, so if the medical looks bad for either one, then maybe that changes things, but I see no reason to be particularly worried about grabbing an OT early this year. For that matter, I really don't like this OT class at all. Trying to take one because of a feeling of need would probably end up being a reach. I have nothing against adding OL or DBs any time you get a good value, I just don't think that will be the situation at OT with this year's class.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to know why everyone on FF hates the Packer posters?

We have Aaron and TT appreciation threads almost 100 pages long, we [inappropriate/removed] on everyone who dares question Packers management, and over react to any assessment that doesn't paint the Packers in a good light.

Dunder,

You are acting naive, sorry. Do you honestly believe what you say?

Sherrod was on PUP, that's six weeks for sure he was out. Who was the first backup, if not Lang? Don't even joke and say Datko. Lang is the only realistic replacement.

Going into the season having your LG as the primary back up is stupid. So is having a C as your LG replacement.

Sherrod not being back healthy is no ones fault, the way you prepare for said injury is the issue.

Franchise LTs are rare. A dancing bear who can handle JPP one on one are rare. An aging, or journeyman T, that can get you through a few games, not so much.

One injury = two different starters

Stupid.
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

We have Aaron and TT appreciation threads almost 100 pages long, we [inappropriate/removed] on everyone who dares question Packers management, and over react to any assessment that doesn't paint the Packers in a good light.

Dunder,

Sherrod was on PUP, that's six weeks for sure he was out. Who was the first backup, if not Lang? Don't even joke and say Datko. Lang is the only realistic replacement.

Going into the season having your LG as the primary back up is stupid. So is having a C as your LG replacement.

Sherrod not being back healthy is no ones fault, the way you prepare for said injury is the issue.

Franchise LTs are rare. A dancing bear who can handle JPP one on one are rare. An aging, or journeyman T, that can get you through a few games, not so much.

Stupid.

I can buy that.
I was really surprised that they cut Wells in camp for that reason. Would have been a safer play to keep him on and then cut him if Sherrod came back- or kept him along if it turned out like it did.

Either way, we rolled the dice and it didn't turn out that great this year.

Would we be in the same position here if we had kept heavy Oline on the roster and BJ and Pickett went on IR? Sometimes its just the way the dice roll on injuries.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we get 2010 Starks back, the running game won't be an issue.

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

Dunder,

Stupid.

I suspect we aren't universally loved here on FF is because we outnumber them big time. Laughing

TT and company decided to roll the dice and went with Newhouse at LT and Bulaga at RT. Had we drafted another O lineman high and not addressed the defense last April a riot might have enused. Wink I think both Sherrod and Bulaga will be back in 2013. Getting a CENTER should be the top priority this offseason along with a RB with decent vision.

Last edited by Pugger on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: