Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Jake Long Reply with quote

Given that Birk, Lewis, and Reed's salaries could all possibly come off the books next year do you guys think it makes sense for the Ravens to go after Jake Long. Long is a dominant run blocker and a very good pass blockers, but he doesn't seem to be in the Dolphins long term plans. Long would allow Oher to kick back to right tackle and for KO to move to left guard, a more natural fit for a college left tackle,and give the Ravens a potentially dominant line. I'm not quite sure on the exact cap space, and if we could make it work, but Long seems like a logical addition.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. That's like $80 million. Not worth it.

If we make a splash in free agency I'd like Randy Starks or Louis Delmas if Ed hangs it up.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to, but the cap situation isn't going to allow it. We have holes bigger than LT, and the upgrade from Oher to Long, while a big jump, wouldn't be worth the cost of not being able to fill other holes.

What I think makes more sense would be to find a mid-range LG and get a similar effect. Though, I don't think Reid is a terrible option there personally. I think he just needs a bit more experience there, and we need an upgrade over Birk. I like KO on the right side, I think he fits in well.

I think we'd be better served to use cap space a veteran FS or 5-tech personally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to spend in FA this year, I'd much rather it be at the defensive side of the ball - specifically the d-line.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tackles aren't worth the money they are paid.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

They are when you can put him at LT and Oher back at RT and watch Flacco rarely get sacked.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

They are when you can put him at LT and Oher back at RT and watch Flacco rarely get sacked.

Oher has actually been ok at LT this season. It's the interior of the line that's letting up a ton of pressure.

And KO has been relatively ok at RT as well.

It's not worth $80m to bring in Long to shuffle things up, when we could spend $30m tops and just get a better LG and get a similar, albeit smaller effect. LG/C is where our biggest offensive line problems lie, not LT/RT.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition a blocking TE could start to become more in play as Dickson has been utilized less and less as a passing option. We run a lot of double TE offense anyway, so if we look towards the draft for a nice blocking TE that has soft hands, but maybe not the athleticism you look for... than we could really help out our edge protectors while seeing general improvement in the ability of our 2nd TE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Oher will be fine when he's got a regular, solid Guard inside.

They've tried Harewood, Williams and now Reid, and so far I'm not convinced by any of them. Reid seems to be the guy Harbs wants there, so we'll have to see how he develops.

Oher's done far better than I thought he would, and he's shown improvements in pretty much every area of his game (including penalties). He's dealt well with some very, very good pass rushers, and struggled with some others. But there are very few players in the league who can shut down anyone who lines up opposite them. I'm not even sure that Jake Long is a guy who can do that any more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I think Oher will be fine when he's got a regular, solid Guard inside.

They've tried Harewood, Williams and now Reid, and so far I'm not convinced by any of them. Reid seems to be the guy Harbs wants there, so we'll have to see how he develops.

Oher's done far better than I thought he would, and he's shown improvements in pretty much every area of his game (including penalties). He's dealt well with some very, very good pass rushers, and struggled with some others. But there are very few players in the league who can shut down anyone who lines up opposite them. I'm not even sure that Jake Long is a guy who can do that any more.

That's a great point. Long came into the league with many questioning his athleticism to be able to handle the speed rushers. He was then able to really put an emphasis on explosive movements in his training and because of his natural ability to swallow blockers when he gets his hands on them, he quickly became a dominant LT. But now that he's aged a little, his limited explosive edge is now declining... and since he didn't have much to work with in the beginning, he's becoming less and less dominant at LT. I think by the time any contract he signs is over, he's probably going to be pushed to the right side and be dominant over there.

Oher has some really quick feet. He's explosive. He also is pretty effective at keeping a pass rusher at bay when he gets his hands on them (not dominant, but really good). The spot could be upgraded by someone with a high IQ- a Matt Birk type, but athletically Oher is about as good as it gets outside of a freak package. John Ogden spoiled us... and then right after that we had Gaither and we thought we were going to be good for the long haul- like the Packers with Favre to Rodgers, but Gaither didn't have a love for the game, nor a high powered work ethic. He just wanted the paycheck.

Oher is at worst an average LT in this league. We can do better, but we could do MUCH worse. As long as Cam can adjust his system to shorten the routes some... OR we can upgrade the talent at WR (elite option) to compensate for Cam's shortcomings our OT situation shouldn't be a problem in the immediate future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: