You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chi_Vike1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt Reply with quote

A guy who has quietly been one of the better WR in NCAA is Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

He's a junior and I haven't seen him in hardly any mocks. Dont know if he declares or not, but he very well could considering his QB Rodgers, for the past two years is a senior.

-Stands 6'3" about 205 with decent speed and pretty good short area quickness.
- 87 rec - 1262 yds - 7 tds all while being in the SEC
-Gets in and out of his breaks pretty well for a bigger guy.
-Catches balls with his hands and shows an ability to be a playmaker by making acrobat catches along with running after the catch
-Runs a variety of routes, and used all over the field (versatile)
- Seems to be very passionate and works hard to beat his defender.
-Good pedigree: 2nd cousin of Jerry Rice
-Show toughness, with willingness to go over the middle and consistently make a play.

I like this kid a lot and he's been Rodgers go to guy this year and hasn't disappointed. He's gotten better every year and currently has over gone over 115 and score in his past three games. He steps up big in big time games with 8 rec 147 yds 1 td against South Carolina, 8 rec 119 yds against Georgia, and 8 rec 131 yds 1 td against Florida. Big time performances against big time SEC defenses.

What do ya'll think of those who have seen him play?
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played very well against SC. Understands how to use his big body, good wheels, will break some tackles. Definitely a name to keep an eye on. Although with this WR class looking as deep as it does, not sure I'd declare this year.

Then again, depends on who does declare if it will be as deep as we believe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
He played very well against SC. Understands how to use his big body, good wheels, will break some tackles. Definitely a name to keep an eye on. Although with this WR class looking as deep as it does, not sure I'd declare this year.

Then again, depends on who does declare if it will be as deep as we believe.

True. But then again i feel like he could surpass some of these guys in the draft. Its just hard to find a real bad knock on this kid. Hes not gonna blow anyone away with his leaping ability or speed or size, but he has a good combination of three traits while just being a straight up playmaker. I think the best comparison i could come up with is a taller Victor Cruz. Cruz just makes plays and does it in a variety of ways, which is what I see in Matthews.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went and watched a 2 1/2 minute video on him and he dropped 2 easy catches out of about 10-15 targets. Obviously a small sample size, but not a good first impression. One thing I will say, is that when he gets going, he's gone. Broke a few tackles too. He looks a little skinny, but he plays big. Not sure who to compare him too. He physically looks like a small Colston, but I need to see more to find a talent/playing style comparison.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Just went and watched a 2 1/2 minute video on him and he dropped 2 easy catches out of about 10-15 targets. Obviously a small sample size, but not a good first impression. One thing I will say, is that when he gets going, he's gone. Broke a few tackles too. He looks a little skinny, but he plays big. Not sure who to compare him too. He physically looks like a small Colston, but I need to see more to find a talent/playing style comparison.
Just watched the Arkansas & Florida games. Yeah, he looks pretty good. He appears to get off the line slow, but that can improve. He found the soft spot in a zone and that got him a TD and fooled to LB's. That's a huge plus IMO. Once again, those wheels showed up. The drops went away. He made 2 insane 1 handed catches. Still don't know who to compare him to.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Chi_Vike1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that Arkansas and Florida highlight was only when he was a sophomore. And yeah he might drop a few but that happens. Its certainly not a knock on him as he certainly has great hands. Once again im just hard pressed to find a real hard knock on this kid's game. I gave a Victor Cruz comparison (although i realize Cruz is about 3 in shorter) simply based that they both do everything fairly well, with good speed and an ability to make special plays with their hands. Just a reliable guy that is gonna produce and make the plays when u need him too.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does have a few drops, but he is targeted a lot. I like him, I see him as a 3rd rounder at the moment. But it really depends on what he does at the combine.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Marcus Easley. Looks like he could run a high 4.3x 40.
adam9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
He does have a few drops, but he is targeted a lot. I like him, I see him as a 3rd rounder at the moment. But it really depends on what he does at the combine.

This. The WR class this season is talented IMO and is so deep guys like Matthews could be a combine riser by a round or two. Others as well, but Matthews to me is quite underrated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump... Played hero ball to tonight.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalgsr wrote:
Reminds me of Marcus Easley. Looks like he could run a high 4.3x 40.

I don't think he's quite that fast. Decent enough speed for his size, though.
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe late 2nd round. Love his toughness.
BangBang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow... dropped a HUGE ball at the end of the game. Minus one or two receptions I wasn't impressed.
Socraticsilence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BangBang wrote:
Slow... dropped a HUGE ball at the end of the game. Minus one or two receptions I wasn't impressed.

The guy is not slow- he has good deep speed but little wiggle/elusiveness and frankly the drop came after most WRs would have left the game, the fact that he was even playing, much less playing really well impresses me.
BangBang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socraticsilence wrote:
BangBang wrote:

The guy is not slow- he has good deep speed but little wiggle/elusiveness and frankly the drop came after most WRs would have left the game, the fact that he was even playing, much less playing really well impresses me.

He seemed fine after his injury. He dropped the biggest ball of the game, it is what it is.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: