Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why is Celek largely free of blame?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Why is Celek largely free of blame? Reply with quote

I read a lot of crazy things here, things that I really disagree with. People throw DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant and a slew of other Eagles under the bus when they don't really deserve it. Meanwhile, there is a player who is playing like one of the worst players at his spot in the NFL and he is catching virtually zero heat from fans. Why?

Brent Celek has dropped 35 passes in the past 5 seasons and is consistently among the lead leaders in drops and in the bottom half of the league in TE catch %.

He's virtually useless in the red-zone because of his subpar separation skills and jump-ball abilities (33" vertical jump and T-Rex arms), in the last 3 seasons he's had 7 red-zone TDs. To put that into perspective, Rob Gronkowski has 29 in the last 3 seasons, Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez have 18 in the last 3 seasons, Antonio Gates has 17 in the last three seasons, Jason Witten has 12 in the last 3 seasons and Vernon Davis, Jermichael Finley and Brandon Pettigrew have 10 red-zone TDs. Heck, Kyle Rudolph has 9 in the last 2 seasons.

He's a subpar blocker who is not an asset in either phase of the game as a blocker. One could easily argue that he's actually a detriment to the team in blocking situations.

The only thing he does overly well is run after the catch. He's one of the least reliable TE targets in the NFL, he's got stone hands, he's a liability as a blocker and he's not a good red-zone weapon thanks to physical limitations. Trent Dilfer highlighted him as a player who was really struggling this season and it's true, with all the quick throws the Eagles are using he should be having a fantastic season but he isn't getting separation and he's getting penalized at inopportune times.

So, why aren't we putting more blame on Brent Celek, the below average tight end? He's so easily upgraded and yet I see nobody questioning him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hater mode: He had one good season, got his contract then took his foot off the pedal.

Realistic mode: He is kept into block half the time, but that isn't his forte. Combined with the fact that he gets drilled all the time means he is bound to have a decrease in performance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, yes, Tight End can be improved.

But then so can all positions (maybe except for running back).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Meco, Are you to Brent Celek as PE is to Jason Avant?
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Also, yes, Tight End can be improved.

But then so can all positions (maybe except for running back).

Not only can TE be improved, but unlike other spots I think it can be easily improved. Even getting a guy who is average would be better than Celek but for some reason he's adored because he runs hard after the catch.

Sure, Jackson/Maclin/Avant can be improved but they're perfectly effective as they are when they have competent QB play and switching out Maclin/Jackson for someone else is a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celek is one of the better receiving TE's in the NFL........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:

Not really, I'm not going to go on a forum wide crusade against Brent Celek and make up some BS about "record ineptitude". I'm just pointing out something I'm noticing, Brent Celek isn't that good and fans aren't holding him accountable. I'm looking at our pass catchers and Celek is the player I'm most uncomfortable with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:

I use to be critical of Celek and have even said that he took his money and shut it down. But he produces a big game every now and then so I have slowed the criticism considerably. The reality is that Celek will not be worth the salary he'll receive next season so he should be released. Why not a pay cut? Because that is a moronic Andy Reid move. How the hell can you ask a guy to take a pay cut then expect him to give you his all for an entire NFL season? Laughing
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celek hasn't been as horrible as some of the others.

You address greatest needs first and then worry about upgrading TE from average.
So many position are not even average at this point.
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blahman88 wrote:
Celek is one of the better receiving TE's in the NFL........

Bull. He's got DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin clearing out safeties, he's got some of the worst hands in the NFL, he's a mediocre athlete and as the field gets shorter he gets worse. And can you tell me how "one of the best receiving tight ends in the NFL" is 24th (out of 29) in the NFL in catch % after placing 20th (out of 32) in 2011 and 33rd (out of 36) in 2010?

Last edited by Meco on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:

You address greatest needs first and then worry about upgrading TE from average.

This says it so well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i see you on the streets

In all honesty his play has been down. Hes had erratic QB play, taken huge hits all season, and has been used as a blocker a ton this season. But you cant tell me he doesnt make a huge play atleast once a game. Hell usually have a play wheres hes ridiculously open and makes a huge gain.

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 40 Sacks: 3 FF: 1 Interceptions: 0
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:

Well said BAMD

We have a ton of positions that are in more critical need of attention than TE.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what is wrong with our forum... People going around complaining about Jason Avant, Nnamdi Asomugha and now Brent Celek. When in reality, while we could certainly improve on them, they're the least of our worries.

I'm all for improving upon Brent Celek, but he hasn't acted as a liability and doesn't deserve too much blame for us being a horrible football team. At worst he's been pretty average, so while we could definitely upgrade over him and I hope we actively try to, it's way down our list of priorities right now. I'm not going to worry about our TE or CB position until we can at least handle the current mess at QB, OL and S.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Mark "The Sanchize" Sanchez~
202 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 89.6 Passer Rating
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say there are spots that are way more critical that need upgraded but I think that getting someone who can help turn red-zone chances into TDs and help the Eagles control the middle of the field and dictate match-ups on the outside is not all that insignificant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: