Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I called out Timmons before this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armsteeld

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Steelproven, it's hard to make a strong sentiment about playcalling and O-line consistency when you are playing with a 3rd strong QB and you are a playmaker out. They have been literally saying aloud "We got to run the ball to win".

They might as well hand the playbook over. Browns saw the situation and took advantage of it, simple as that. We ran a lot early on, I mean too PREDICTABLE that Bruce Arians seem secretive about his playcallings!

Since no one mention this... I'm calling out the coaching staffs WHO bench a running back every time he fumbled the ball.

THAT IS NOT HOW YOU COACH A TEAM!

I'm a running back myself, I know this when I say this; fumbling is the worst thing that can happen to a running back, not an injury. They went from Mendenhall to Redman, Dwyer, Mendenhall, the Rainey (when he got hurt) then... Dwyer!

You all saw them sitting together in game, they all are livid with themselves, completely disappointed, and no confidence. You put trust into a running back and let him know you have his back when you play to win! Adrian Peterson had fumbling issues (really bad during his rookie year) and did they bench him? no.

There's many RBs who had that issue, you stick it with him to let him trust himself more. I'm just.. disappointed in that decisions those coaching staffs made. It's hard believing that one of our RB will top 50 yards against ravens after what they had to tolerant with.

I understand what you are saying. There is a double standard because the QB wasn't benched, however, some of those fumbles were just careless [inappropriate/removed] hell! None of them were hit very hard or had the football hit by a helmet. They all ran careless and Dwyer's fumble was him protecting himself with his hands rather than absorbing the grounds contact. They ALL ran SCARED and I hate to admit that. Wallace would have had 2 TDs if Batch had any type of arm at all. Horrible performance by that offense.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to Charlie, I don't know how anyone can support him as being our backup from a performance like that. His balls float so much and look like ducks. He overthrew players by a lot and they were only like 5-10 yards away from him. Now, if he starts this week I expect him to bounce back and play better, but I don't think it'd be enough.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Call out the RB's. All of them. Redman/Dwyer both had a couple of okay games. What more can you say about any RB aside from those couple of performances? I can't believe how bad Mendenhall is now, I never saw him as being that bad.

If you want to call out the running game...call out the real issue....the OLine.

They are too up and down, and while Im not saying the RBs have been great, too often people want to blame the RBs for poor games when not even Adrian Peterson could have ran behind the line we had.

Plenty of RB's run behind bad lines and still get something done. Our guys do not. All of them have poor vision. That kind of fumbling is definitely a fluke, yet the way Tomlin had zero faith in any of them was kind of alarming. Mendenhall fumbled nearly every time he touched the ball.

I don't like the way Dwyer carries the ball, I thought he was going to be fumble prone watching him earlier this year.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Call out the RB's. All of them. Redman/Dwyer both had a couple of okay games. What more can you say about any RB aside from those couple of performances? I can't believe how bad Mendenhall is now, I never saw him as being that bad.

If you want to call out the running game...call out the real issue....the OLine.

They are too up and down, and while Im not saying the RBs have been great, too often people want to blame the RBs for poor games when not even Adrian Peterson could have ran behind the line we had.

Plenty of RB's run behind bad lines and still get something done. Our guys do not. All of them have poor vision. That kind of fumbling is definitely a fluke, yet the way Tomlin had zero faith in any of them was kind of alarming. Mendenhall fumbled nearly every time he touched the ball.

I don't like the way Dwyer carries the ball, I thought he was going to be fumble prone watching him earlier this year.

Elite backs like Adrian Peterson do.....most teams dont have elite backs. Our backs are plenty capable of getting it done. They arent going to blow youre mind but they can produce.

People seem to be going off the deep end because of one bad game by our RBs, which was probably a fluke. This was the first week it has been a major issue. If it continues, okay....but for now, its just a really bad day.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Steelproven, it's hard to make a strong sentiment about playcalling and O-line consistency when you are playing with a 3rd strong QB and you are a playmaker out. They have been literally saying aloud "We got to run the ball to win".

They might as well hand the playbook over. Browns saw the situation and took advantage of it, simple as that. We ran a lot early on, I mean too PREDICTABLE that Bruce Arians seem secretive about his playcallings!

Since no one mention this... I'm calling out the coaching staffs WHO bench a running back every time he fumbled the ball.

THAT IS NOT HOW YOU COACH A TEAM!

I'm a running back myself, I know this when I say this; fumbling is the worst thing that can happen to a running back, not an injury. They went from Mendenhall to Redman, Dwyer, Mendenhall, the Rainey (when he got hurt) then... Dwyer!

You all saw them sitting together in game, they all are livid with themselves, completely disappointed, and no confidence. You put trust into a running back and let him know you have his back when you play to win! Adrian Peterson had fumbling issues (really bad during his rookie year) and did they bench him? no.

There's many RBs who had that issue, you stick it with him to let him trust himself more. I'm just.. disappointed in that decisions those coaching staffs made. It's hard believing that one of our RB will top 50 yards against ravens after what they had to tolerant with.

The Steelers have to many RBs now I think and the Steelers rotate them to much. Get one let him run it and sub only for injury or fatigue.

At this time I believe it has to be Dwyer, but if the Steelers don't get something out of Mendenhall that entire 2008 draft class is a waste.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a "bad" game. It was an embarrassing game. They were putrid. Mendenhall was supposed to be a feature back, and he fumbled nearly every time he touched the ball.

Given the way we spread defenses out, I find it hard to believe that our offensive line is just so bad that we never have any running lanes open, ever. Our RB's suck, period. I never bought Redman last year, don't buy him this year. And there's nothing explosive about anyone else except Mendenhall, and now he can't stay on the field because of injury or fumbles.

Not that I think we need an "elite" back, but going with these "power" backs isn't getting us anywhere on the ground. Might be time to go for a more dynamic runner, since Mendenhall blew his shot at that.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has ever tried to change the way Mendenhall carried the ball even though they knew it was wrong. Mendenhall is a good RB, but his lack of playing time and real live contact has limited his ability. He shouldn't be starting at this point especially since he was injured for the majority of the season. I know that the Steelers say you can't lose your job to injury, but Mendenhall's a RB it shouldn't matter who starts. What matters is who finishes the game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but even we fans know this; we haven't succeed by rotating rbs in out and utilitizing plays to rb's strength, because that's not how it works. Giants' former version of tiki barber, brandon jacobs, and a. Bradshaw were the "best rotating corp" past decade and that didn't get them to super bowl!

O-line this young need consistency of style and plays to develop a rhyme during the game. We would be better at this if it were fast willie parker andmewelde moore but that's not the case.

Sudden... todd haley seem overrated, scary huh?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Haley is a good OC I believe some times he just out coaching himself. The Steelers have to try to run outside at least sometimes and I don't think they do it enough. I don't know if it's because they can't or it's just not part of the offense.

Dwyer has good vision when the play gets clogged up and has the patience to find the opening in the defense. Is best used in 2 WR sets because he has the vision/power and nimble feet to find a hole.

Redman has decent vision is strong at POA. Probably the most versatile as shown by his 100 yd receiving day.

Mendenhall is good open field vision/awareness, but has average vision when plays aren't there. Mendenhall is the ideal version of what you would look for in a 3rd down back. 3 WR sets where the players in the box are minimum.

Rainey has shown he can run between the tackles but doesn't have the power to break tackles. So I'm wondering why the Steelers don't try to get him outside more.

The Steelers have quality RBs even with there self destruction in Cleveland. The Steelers really can't go wrong with there choice of RB. They just need to play to that RBs strength.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a single one of our RBs actually sucks. They are all somewhat good in fact.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Haley is restricted due to our QB play. I haven't liked his play-calling at all the last two games, but I can't really blame him too much either. I think it'll be a better judge this week in calling plays, since that was the first time he saw Byron / Batch throw for our team.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer To Start Sunday Against The Ravens
Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 at 1:07 pm by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday during his press conference that Jonathan Dwyer will indeed be the starting running back this week against the Baltimore Ravens.

"He's been consistently the most productive guy," said Tomlin. "I think we've got a large enough body of work to be able to identify that at this point. Obviously he has been working in less than ideal circumstances with the rotation and shuffling of those guys due to lack of health and lack of production, but over the course of the last several weeks, it's obvious that he - 1A: is healthy and 2: is the most productive of the group."

"So he'll start and get the bulk of the carries and the other guys will supplement him in some form or fashion based on the situation and how we formulate a game plan."

Tomlin refused to speculate what would happen if Dwyer fumbles on Sunday as he prefers not to deal in hypotheticals. The head coach would only say that fumbling is unacceptable.

Tomlin has made the right choice here in my opinion. Dwyer has indeed been the most productive and most consistent running back of the group. He has rushed for over 100 yards in both of his starts this season against the Cincinnati Bengals and the Washington Redskins and hopefully the coach gives him time Sunday against the Ravens to get into a rhythm.

More from the Tomlin presser shortly.

Dwyer to start. IMO rightfully so. I hope they stick with him. Even if he fumbles. He needs repetition.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/11/steelers-rb-jonathan-dwyer-to-start-sunday-against-the-ravens/

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
It wasn't a "bad" game. It was an embarrassing game. They were putrid. Mendenhall was supposed to be a feature back, and he fumbled nearly every time he touched the ball.

Given the way we spread defenses out, I find it hard to believe that our offensive line is just so bad that we never have any running lanes open, ever. Our RB's suck, period. I never bought Redman last year, don't buy him this year. And there's nothing explosive about anyone else except Mendenhall, and now he can't stay on the field because of injury or fumbles.

Not that I think we need an "elite" back, but going with these "power" backs isn't getting us anywhere on the ground. Might be time to go for a more dynamic runner, since Mendenhall blew his shot at that.

Really? Because our backs have proven that they can produce at a high level. so saying they arent getting us anywhere is pretty ignorant of that fact.

And as I stated, most of our issues in the run game this year have been more OLine related.

Steelers fans expect all pro's at every position, and its completely unrealistic.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not expecting a pro. I'm also not expecting these slow "power backs" with zero explosiveness. There was a time where we had a line that meshed well with these kinds of guys, where we could punch it for 3 yards, then another 3 or 4, then do whatever we wanted on 3rd down. Those days are long gone, like you said. I just think we're still living in this mentality that we're a smash mouth football team on offense, when we are not. A guy like Rainey seems to make more sense in our offense.

And just from a talent perspective, I doubt Redman or Dwyer or even Mendenhall would be starters on most teams in the league, unless they're worse off than us at the position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: