Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fairley Better than Suh.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whos Better
Fairley
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Suh
74%
 74%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Message
oda


Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 1003
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
oda wrote:
How many DTs get double digit sacks in a season?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/soloTackles
Only Geno Atkins is close to double digit sacks
Not a single DT on the leaderboards for tackles

maybe we've been spoiled by Suh's terrific rookie season. When was the last time a rookie DT had double digit sacks? Dana Stubblefield in 93' almost twenty years later


Perhaps you're right. I'm not dissatisfied with his play but it is interesting the statistical decline in every category since his rookie season.


I believe that is a direct result of not having a solid secondary. If Suh can get another second or two, he might be having a stellar season. Did you see how he was in Matt Shaub's face all game? If the secondary was better I think Suh would have had at least 3+ sacks in the game. The Dline can cover up a lot, but the secondary has to buy them time to do their job.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oda wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
oda wrote:
How many DTs get double digit sacks in a season?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/soloTackles
Only Geno Atkins is close to double digit sacks
Not a single DT on the leaderboards for tackles

maybe we've been spoiled by Suh's terrific rookie season. When was the last time a rookie DT had double digit sacks? Dana Stubblefield in 93' almost twenty years later


Perhaps you're right. I'm not dissatisfied with his play but it is interesting the statistical decline in every category since his rookie season.


I believe that is a direct result of not having a solid secondary. If Suh can get another second or two, he might be having a stellar season. Did you see how he was in Matt Shaub's face all game? If the secondary was better I think Suh would have had at least 3+ sacks in the game. The Dline can cover up a lot, but the secondary has to buy them time to do their job.
I couldn't agree more. And specifically, it's been the play of our safeties that has hurt the overall production of our DL, and has definitely had an impact on our mediocre TO ratio.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19136
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I agree, this is the most important draft of my lifetime for the Lions. Phil Sims said it, Detroit has superstars on both sides of the ball. Now it's about completing the team, and we won't do that investing all our money and resources into more offensive skill positions.

I've been a mean SOB this season, I know it. But if Mayhew takes another RB or WR in the first two rounds- X, Sllim, RF- do yourselves a favor and immediately ban me after the selection has been made.
I have sources that said Denard will be our #1 pick and we will then trade up to nab Will Sutton late first. Wink
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4386
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking this for a few weeks but cant make the jump yet. Lets see teams double Fairley and leave Suh one on one first. I will say Fairley has the potential to be better. He has better feet and is much quicker.
_________________
Team Stylish

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1058
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Fairley would be able to handle double teams as well as Suh. He isn't' as powerful. Suh also has the ability to blow up a single team much more than Fairley. Fairley can be great, may even someday overtake Suh, but not yet. He reminds me a lot of Sapp, not sure if I'm alone there lol.

Also, Suh's rookie season, CWill faced a bulk of double teams, which is why he had such good stats.

The quality of DT play isn't predicated on stats. They are meant to make those around them better by drawing double teams and freeing up the LB's on run plays and DE's on passing plays. Also, the #2 DT spot can be the most devastating position on the field if you have quality there... it's hard to double two DT's consistently without leaving gaping holes elsewhere. This is why Fairley is looking so good.

Suh, and it's not even close... yet.
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Laimbrane


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 3897
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both great players, and with Houston are the three guys on the defense that are in the top 15 at their position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan#1Pick


Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 1348
Location: Central Michigan University
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure this should go here, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread. According to MLive (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/12/detroit_lions_dt_nick_fairley_4.html#incart_more_sports), the marijuana charge against Fairley from this offseason has been dropped. Apparently, his buddy took responsibility for the drugs and Fairley submitted to a drug test which he passed. He won't be considered a multiple offender and will avoid any action by the league assuming he stays out of trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan#1Pick wrote:
Not really sure this should go here, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread. According to MLive (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/12/detroit_lions_dt_nick_fairley_4.html#incart_more_sports), the marijuana charge against Fairley from this offseason has been dropped. Apparently, his buddy took responsibility for the drugs and Fairley submitted to a drug test which he passed. He won't be considered a multiple offender and will avoid any action by the league assuming he stays out of trouble.
Let's hope he takes advantage of his buddies loyalty.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30906
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's a team sport, they compliment each other a lot.
"nick you made a really nice play!"

"Aww thanks Ndamukong! You played with good hustle last down!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24258
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's a team sport, they compliment each other a lot.
"nick you made a really nice play!"

"Aww thanks Ndamukong! You played with good hustle last down!"
yeah, he just said that, no need to repeat it.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group