Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts on a big offseason acquisition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
You know... with the way this FO evaluates rookie talent (still possible that this is a passing thing as Carroll's college experience "well, we recruited him at USC... I knew he was something special..." is going to become less and less relevant)...

I think you'd be giving way too much credit to Pete Carroll in that parenthesized segment. Pete says what he wants, John picks who fits that.
TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
You know... with the way this FO evaluates rookie talent (still possible that this is a passing thing as Carroll's college experience "well, we recruited him at USC... I knew he was something special..." is going to become less and less relevant)...

I think you'd be giving way too much credit to Pete Carroll in that parenthesized segment. Pete says what he wants, John picks who fits that.

I dunno... Pete takes too much ownership in the way he speaks about these guys to just be in a situation where he tells Schneider to go get guys with specific skills/abilities/attributes/stats and leave it at that.

Schneider would be a fool not to include PC in the selection process in my view... I think he's been waxing poetic about how badly he wanted Marshawn Lynch and how he and Schneider had to pester the crap outta the Bills.

But maybe you have inside info about their process? That'd be interesting to hear about... just seems like an odd description of how they evaluate and acquire talent here.

TommyC376 on the Sig
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

I dunno... Pete takes too much ownership in the way he speaks about these guys to just be in a situation where he tells Schneider to go get guys with specific skills/abilities/attributes/stats and leave it at that.

Schneider would be a fool not to include PC in the selection process in my view... I think he's been waxing poetic about how badly he wanted Marshawn Lynch and how he and Schneider had to pester the crap outta the Bills.

But maybe you have inside info about their process? That'd be interesting to hear about... just seems like an odd description of how they evaluate and acquire talent here.

No inside info, unfortunately, I just have a hard time believing that Pete does enough in the scouting department to have a huge say on who exactly they should take. I'm sure John fills him in on different guys and they build a big board together, but at the end of the day I see John doing the grunt work with scouting and being the backbone for our drafting success.
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

I do have the feeling that Pete has a noticeable input in the talent evaluation, especially given that they operate in a tandem.

Things like contracts are all John Schneider, but I could see Pete and John working together with the draft, disseminating their own boards to make the final draft board.

Besides, Pete's experience as a college HC will give him some more abilites in spotting young talent.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be naive of us to assume Carroll has as big a part in the drafting/scouting process as Schneider.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be interesting to see the payroll once we have to pay some of our younger players. We're one of the lowest teams for payroll, but many players will get raises soon, like Earl, Kam, and Sherman. Luckily we'll cut some with Obo, Truf, Farwell and some other players that are on short contracts.

IDOG_det

#JDI
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkman98272 wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see the payroll once we have to pay some of our younger players. We're one of the lowest teams for payroll, but many players will get raises soon, like Earl, Kam, and Sherman. Luckily we'll cut some with Obo, Truf, Farwell and some other players that are on short contracts.

You're crazy if you think Farwell is going anywhere.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
hawkman98272 wrote:

You're crazy if you think Farwell is going anywhere.
Even my mom said, "that white guy makes a lot of tackles on kick offs" Laughing Farwell is a special teams stud.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
union hawk fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather save the money and use it to keep most of the young players together. Before the season I would have loved to see the hawks sign Bowe but Tate has been playing good this year and finally seems to get it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: