Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Schwartz on the hot seat???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsChamps201?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Is Schwartz on the hot seat??? Reply with quote

We have been giving Schwartz the benefit of the doubt considering he took over a 0-16 team and eventually led them to a 10-6 record.

But I think it is time that we look at the actions of the coach instead of just giving him the benefit of the doubt. He has been here long enough where he has had the time to add his player, his philosophy, his system, and his overall attitude towards the team. So there are no excuses at this point

IMO, he deserves to be on the hot seat. The Lions biggest problem has been their discipline which they have not shown on or off the field. On the field, the Lions are consistently one of the most penalized team in the league. Also, they make too many stupid mistakes that kill them (ala stomping on a player during a tight game).

Also, Schwatz's decision making hasnt been very good. Obviously, throwing that red flag during the Houston game was a huge mistake that was all on him. But less talked about is kicking a 47 yard field goal on 3rd down like it was a chip shot (the playcalling by Linehan was ridiculous prior to the kick which caused them to loose 2 yards, which would have been the difference between making and missing that kick, but thats another story). Obviously we miss that kick and loose the game.

IMO, I think he deserves another year but I think he should be on the hot seat at least. Your thoughts?
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he shouldn't. It's that simple. We are a few plays away from having a winning record with the hardest schedule in the NFL.

Sig bet
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of late the Lions have been one if not the worst pro NFL teams. Schwartz led us to 10 wins which is almost unprecedented and people want him gone the next season?

At the very least he's gonna get another season, if not more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
As of late the Lions have been one if not the worst pro NFL teams. Schwartz led us to 10 wins which is almost unprecedented and people want him gone the next season?

And his contract suggests more.

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

And his contract suggests more.

That's probably a big part of it too. I mean we don't know how many more years he was extended but it's hard to imagine him getting fired the year after getting it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505353&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

He could be 22-42 by the end of the season, but let's place him at 24-40. Another season like that next year and his total could be 30-50.

I don't care what the team looked like before he got here, he should be fired after a record like that. Especially after two under-performing seasons in a row.

Next season is do or die for Schwartz IMO.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505353&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Shhhhh...

R.I.P. Stylish
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

He could be 22-42 by the end of the season, but let's place him at 24-40. Another season like that next year and his total could be 30-50.

I don't care what the team looked like before he got here, he should be fired after a record like that. Especially after two under-performing seasons in a row.

This

People are still reeling from that 0-16 season I see. We as fans need a higher standard. Too many times I've seen/heard free passes from Detroit fans about any sport in this town. We should expect better.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

This

People are still reeling from that 0-16 season I see. We as fans need a higher standard. Too many times I've seen/heard free passes from Detroit fans about any sport in this town. We should expect better.

I disagree, it took him 3 years to get this team to a decent level of talent. He should get 3 years to work with decent talent.

You do not go 0-16 in the NFL unless your team is awful. Not to mention he lost Stafford for nearly 2 Seasons.
Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no, but I would understand if he was. He certainly needs to show better control over some of his players.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

This

I disagree, it took him 3 years to get this team to a decent level of talent. He should get 3 years to work with decent talent.

You do not go 0-16 in the NFL unless your team is awful. Not to mention he lost Stafford for nearly 2 Seasons.

Are you saying Schwartz overachieved last year with the talent level he had? Or did they disappoint this season?

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

This

I disagree. The Lions were 10-6 last year and will end this season far short of that mark and will fail to reach the post season.

Next year will be his third year with talent. If he fails to get the Lions into the post season then he is going to be under intense scrutiny and I expect he would be let go if that's how next season goes down.

Mayhew will also face scrutiny if the Lions don't make the playoff's next year.

As fans we are conditioned to mediocrity from the Lions but last year we had a taste of success. So did the Ford family and Junior seems to have far more influence over has father of late.

I expect Mayhew would get a second chance to select a coaching staff but you never know. The Lions have had a decade of high draft choices and only one year of success to show for it. The boom in season ticket sales they got this year is directly related to that success as are the increased jersey sales etc.

WCF has been subsidizing this team for years and the recent revenue increases are going to be tough to let go of if they don't continue. Detroit is a football town starved for success and fan patience is at a low level.

I know I'm only one voice but I am a season ticket holder and will certainly keep my seats next season but if they tank again I don't think I will be prepared to shell out for tickets, drive 8 hours each way and shell out for two night hotel each game unless I see a commitment from ownership to winning.

Signs of that commitment would be changing coaches and management. There are numerous teams that enjoy success year after year and there is absolutely no reason the Lions can be one of those teams. That won't happen unless ownership is committed to finding the right personnel to run the franchise.

The new regime has been given the benefit of the doubt by fans since they were hired. I thought Schwartz showed great confidence and recognition of his shortcomings by hiring coordinators with head coaching experience but at some point results are what matters and I truly believe next year will be that point. The argument of the 0-16 team is valid but lets be honest. It's easy to improve an 0-16 team. They now need to show they are capable of taking the Lions to the next level. Just like players that don't perform and get cut coaches and GM's need to perform

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
Are you saying Schwartz overachieved last year with the talent level he had? Or did they disappoint this season?

I would say that, last season, we found ways to win close games, and we lost those close games this year. The team itself isn't worse, but we just haven't made those few plays. That's football.

I WILL NOT hold the 2009 and 2010 seasons against Jim Schwartz. He had to gut an entire roster, sign journeyman players to fill starting roles, implement new schemes and change an entire culture. Yes, just as Jim Caldwell isn't a great coach for inheriting a Super Bowl team and returning them to the Super Bowl, Jim Schwartz isn't a bad coach for inheriting an 0-16 football team and winning only two games.

We finally have a competitive football team. We are no longer a doormat. We aren't pushovers. The core of our team is incredibly young, so growing pains should be expected, but we STILL compete with the best teams in the NFL.

Why change that?

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:

I would say that, last season, we found ways to win close games, and we lost those close games this year. The team itself isn't worse, but we just haven't made those few plays. That's football.

I WILL NOT hold the 2009 and 2010 seasons against Jim Schwartz. He had to gut an entire roster, sign journeyman players to fill starting roles, implement new schemes and change an entire culture. Yes, just as Jim Caldwell isn't a great coach for inheriting a Super Bowl team and returning them to the Super Bowl, Jim Schwartz isn't a bad coach for inheriting an 0-16 football team and winning only two games.

We finally have a competitive football team. We are no longer a doormat. We aren't pushovers. The core of our team is incredibly young, so growing pains should be expected, but we STILL compete with the best teams in the NFL.

Why change that?

An thats cool for most people, its just unacceptable for the people that wanna win a championship sometime during there life-time.

Are we going to get better with Schwartz imo, marginally and you know you prolly can't be too much worst than whats out right now or before his time.... He's a safe bet right now, but if you wanna win it all you go out and try to hire someone better if possible(might not be possible).

It's why Harbaugh changes QB. Alex Smith gives you a good shot etc, but what potentailly Colin K brings to the table could make them a championship team. A move like this could cost his job especailly if they end up flowndering. But guys like Harbaugh don't care because they want the chance to win a championship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: