Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The One(s) That Got Away
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12842
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: The One(s) That Got Away Reply with quote

I was thinking of the players that the Miami front office has either cut or traded that have gone on to do big things in the NFL. I've compiled a short list of guys, but I'd love to see what you all come up with.


Here are three just to get us started:


Wes Welker
Kevin Vickerson
Brandon Marshall


Who else can you think of that would most likely be an asset to us today?
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammer


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 514
Location: Cincinnati
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Thomas is playing very well for the Patriots. I still love the Brandon Marshall trade so he is not on my list. The last thing I want is that goon in Tanny's ear.
_________________
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA: The Ohio State University
MLB: Cincinnati Reds
NBA: New York Knicks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daniel3


Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 766
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ninkovich, has had multiple games for Pats where they would have lost if not for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ukdolfan


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 8976
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welker is one I find tough to judge. He has done a lot for the Pats but for what he would have done here I think we got decent value for him.

Rob Ninkovich (released/PS 2008) - Not an elite player but has become a versatile contributor for the Pats - 16.5 sacks, 5 FF and 4 INTs over 2010 to 2012.

Evan Mathis (released 2008) - Given our issues on the oline a LG who has allowed 0.5 sacks over the last 26 starts would be useful. With hindsight it is surprising how long it has taken for someone to give him a starting role.

Chad Henne - 99.6 passer rating, 7 TDs to 2 INTs. (just kidding)

A surprising number of kickers including Matt Prater, Jay Feely

Marcel Reece - Raiders fullback, though was a WR at the time.
_________________


^ Jamison on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12842
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:
Welker is one I find tough to judge. He has done a lot for the Pats but for what he would have done here I think we got decent value for him.


For the purposes of this thread, I'm less interested in whether or not it was a good trade, but rather if the player had success worthy of note after departure.


I had not thought of Rob Ninkovich. And I totally missed Marcel Reece. I didn't know he was with the Dolphins. Nice ones.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ukdolfan


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 8976
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ukdolfan wrote:
Welker is one I find tough to judge. He has done a lot for the Pats but for what he would have done here I think we got decent value for him.


For the purposes of this thread, I'm less interested in whether or not it was a good trade, but rather if the player had success worthy of note after departure.


I had not thought of Rob Ninkovich. And I totally missed Marcel Reece. I didn't know he was with the Dolphins. Nice ones.


Fair enough.

I hadn't realised we had Reece either. Just had a quick look online to see if anyone had slipped my mind and I saw his name.
_________________


^ Jamison on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12842
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a few more:

Atari Bigby
Jalen Parmele
Fred Evans
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bu77ers


Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Thomas!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-the-curious-case-of-donald-thomas-release-by-miami-20121127,0,901294.story


Really don't know why they cut him! He was one of my favorite draft picks from the Sparano era!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maddogg


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 1835
Location: A Galaxy Far Far Away......
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Lee - TE
Devin Aromashodu -WR



.......... My Top 3 All Time Escapees

1) Joe Thiesmann
2) Anthony Carter
3) Gary Fencik
_________________



Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 14, Tackles 17 Assists 6 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 14 : Death 45 Joe 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very impressed guys! Laughing

Nothing more than this?

The only player anyone cares about is Wes Welker. He's the only name on that list that stings even a little.

If he wasn't with Brady, Welker would be an unremarkable, rather short white dude, running good routes and churning up 950 yards a season. We have a guy named Davone Bess who does exactly what Welker would do for us if he were here.

The dirty little secret is that almost every team has a Wes Welker.

Not every team has a Tom Brady though. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3887
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Brees
_________________


Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-13 )
66.5% CMP - 2817 yards -20 TD's - 9 INT's - 92.1 Rat /RUSH 289 Yards 45 Atmts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2243
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Allen

and

Wade Smith.

Jason Allen, Sean Smith. That would be two pretty tall CB's.

Donald Thomas/Wade Smith. That would help the Oline.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12842
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Jason Allen

and

Wade Smith.

Jason Allen, Sean Smith. That would be two pretty tall CB's.

Donald Thomas/Wade Smith. That would help the Oline.


I agree. Allen isn't spectacular, but he probably is better than Nolan Carroll.


Can you imagine Wade Smith, and Donald Thomas as Oline help.

Jason Allen as corner help.

Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker as WR help.

And to top it off Kevin Vickerson and Fred Evans are both pretty decent D-Linemen. Vickerson especially. We are already pretty set along the dline, but we've certainly left some talent on the table.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2243
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Clutch wrote:
Jason Allen

and

Wade Smith.

Jason Allen, Sean Smith. That would be two pretty tall CB's.

Donald Thomas/Wade Smith. That would help the Oline.


I agree. Allen isn't spectacular, but he probably is better than Nolan Carroll.


Can you imagine Wade Smith, and Donald Thomas as Oline help.

Jason Allen as corner help.

Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker as WR help.

And to top it off Kevin Vickerson and Fred Evans are both pretty decent D-Linemen. Vickerson especially. We are already pretty set along the dline, but we've certainly left some talent on the table.


Not to deviate away from the topic, but this is the problem when you have coaching/regime change after regime change. A new coach/gm comes in and wants his own guys. So he churns the roster and you have these guys end up leaving. Very talented, just not a great fit for the new coach.

I want a coach that come in and put some things in place, but also realize that he has talented players on the current roster and find a way to make it work.

Thats the biggest problem I have with letting GM Ireland go. A new guy comes in and wants a new coach, maybe, and they want a new offense instead of the West Coast. There goes another 2 drafts where we are talking about guys that have alot of talent but were cut loose.

I say we stick with the plan for at least another 2 years to get Philbin/Ireland the ingredients. And just deal with the growing pains. The drafts so far by Ireland have been pretty good. We just need to let things simmer before we can get the full flavor.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12842
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Clutch wrote:
Jason Allen

and

Wade Smith.

Jason Allen, Sean Smith. That would be two pretty tall CB's.

Donald Thomas/Wade Smith. That would help the Oline.


I agree. Allen isn't spectacular, but he probably is better than Nolan Carroll.


Can you imagine Wade Smith, and Donald Thomas as Oline help.

Jason Allen as corner help.

Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker as WR help.

And to top it off Kevin Vickerson and Fred Evans are both pretty decent D-Linemen. Vickerson especially. We are already pretty set along the dline, but we've certainly left some talent on the table.


Not to deviate away from the topic, but this is the problem when you have coaching/regime change after regime change. A new coach/gm comes in and wants his own guys. So he churns the roster and you have these guys end up leaving. Very talented, just not a great fit for the new coach.

I want a coach that come in and put some things in place, but also realize that he has talented players on the current roster and find a way to make it work.

Thats the biggest problem I have with letting GM Ireland go. A new guy comes in and wants a new coach, maybe, and they want a new offense instead of the West Coast. There goes another 2 drafts where we are talking about guys that have alot of talent but were cut loose.

I say we stick with the plan for at least another 2 years to get Philbin/Ireland the ingredients. And just deal with the growing pains. The drafts so far by Ireland have been pretty good. We just need to let things simmer before we can get the full flavor.


Spot on, Clutch. I have been EXTREMELY critical about Ireland. I may very well have led the charge for him to be fired in the offseason, but I think the case you make is a valid one. Now that we appear to have found a QB that we will be banking on for the immediate future, I could be talked into to letting Ireland stick around.

With that said, a GM change could still be managed. We would just need a guy that would come in and seek to maintain some stability and focus on adding talent as opposed to gutting the team. However, you point is still well made..front office changes lead to player/personnel turn over, and that is one of our biggest issues. Nice post, Clutch.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group