Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Players nearly revolt against Harbaugh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Report: Players nearly revolt against Harbaugh Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102107/article/john-harbaugh-reportedly-nearly-had-ravens-mutiny

Uhh, anyone know what to make of this, other than it seems like the players don't respect Harbs and really are just running the show themselves?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is nothing to make of it. Harbaugh handled the situation flawlessly.

It's not as simple as "Here's the chain of command. Get to Work." You're dealing with real people who are valuable to the organization and you can't treat them like "the inmates."

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Report: Players nearly revolt against Harbaugh Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102107/article/john-harbaugh-reportedly-nearly-had-ravens-mutiny

Uhh, anyone know what to make of this, other than it seems like the players don't respect Harbs and really are just running the show themselves?

I think the only thing to make of it is that you really dislike John Harbaugh Laughing

A couple Ravens posters have already added their thoughts over in the Gen forum. Pretty good analysis of the situation IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just kinda affirms my suspicion that Harbs doesn't have that presence in the locker room. It seems like he was able to "handle" this, but the mere fact that players questioned him and almost started a "revolt" against practice because it was in pads is a red flag to me.

But I'll just leave this to discuss in NFL Gen since I didn't see that thread when I made this one.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
drd23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a sensationalist headline imo.

Sounds like it was handled really well, reflects well on John Harbaugh as a person and shows the strong leadership of the playing group.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
This just kinda affirms my suspicion that Harbs doesn't have that presence in the locker room. It seems like he was able to "handle" this, but the mere fact that players questioned him and almost started a "revolt" against practice because it was in pads is a red flag to me.

But I'll just leave this to discuss in NFL Gen since I didn't see that thread when I made this one.

You honestly think this type of thing doesn't happen in every locker room from time to time? The media just needed some stories to pump up the Ravens-Steelers part two... and this is one of them.

This is nothing surprising. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Mutiny makes it sound all Johnny Depp-ish or something. This is just sensationalism at its best. Nothing more, nothing less.

And really, this is another media take. The media truly doesn't know what to do with us. Some are laughing at us and saying we're not for real, some are making us out to be villains so they can easily knock us down if we fall- but continue to hate us as we get things done, and then you have this angle... pump up Harbaugh for being a great coach that pulls the team together... his coaching prowess is the main reason for this team being 9-2... and now maybe he sees some COTY considerations because of it (which considering all the injuries we've endured throughout and our record has to make you wonder why he hasn't seen much consideration).

Harbaugh managed a tense situation.That's good coaching, but there isn't something beyond getting a perspective into what he "does" on a daily basis. Maybe more or less respect can be gathered from his leadership style based on one's individual values. But this situation in itself, I don't believe was as far along as this article makes it seem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a sign of a great coach, not the opposite. The team just had their asses handed to them. What do you expect Harbaugh to do? Throw them a party? Instead he schedules an afternoon practice in pads right before a holiday and a bye. Its genius. He basically challenges them to step up and they did. We're 4-0 since then with 3 of those wins coming on the road (where we're not supposed to be winning games).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pretend to know or understand the dynamics of their lockeroom but from the sounds of it he handled it about as well as he could have. I have a lot of respect for someone who can be as open as he reportedly was.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
This is a sign of a great coach, not the opposite. The team just had their asses handed to them. What do you expect Harbaugh to do? Throw them a party? Instead he schedules an afternoon practice in pads right before a holiday and a bye. Its genius. He basically challenges them to step up and they did. We're 4-0 since then with 3 of those wins coming on the road (where we're not supposed to be winning games).

He scheduled a practice with pads and the end result was they didn't practice in pads though Laughing

The message: if you openly challenge harbaugh's authority you win.

BlaqOptic wrote:
drd23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hardly that simple Rolling Eyes

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:

It really is though. The coach tells you to do something, and you do it.

Obviously the guys in the locker room have a problem with the way Harbs does things. Whether we are winning NOW or not, it's gonna catch up eventually.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
drd23 wrote:

Obviously the guys in the locker room have a problem with the way Harbs does things. Whether we are winning NOW or not, it's gonna catch up eventually.

No it's not. The players aren't inmates. They're not children. They're valuable and they have options. That "I'm the coach everything is my way" crap doesn't fly. Look at the Giants. When did they win a Super Bowl? When Coughlin eased up a bit.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
nevermore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't care less.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Oh, please. By all accounts some guys had a problem with him the minute he got the job. This isn't groundbreaking news.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Integrity wrote:

He scheduled a practice with pads and the end result was they didn't practice in pads though Laughing

The message: if you openly challenge harbaugh's authority you win.

And what if the threat of a padded practice was the light a fire under them? Because it sure seemed to do just that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
drd23 wrote:

No it's not. The players aren't inmates. They're not children. They're valuable and they have options. That "I'm the coach everything is my way" crap doesn't fly. Look at the Giants. When did they win a Super Bowl? When Coughlin eased up a bit.

Agreed. The whole "Its my way of the high way because I'm the Coach and you have to listen to me" thing doesn't/won't work in professional sports when you're dealing with grown men/women. Sticking with that method of "leadership" is just asking to develop animosity and disrespect among the playing group for the HC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: