Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should we make a Trade for Jake Long?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I think the value of LT is vastly over rated. Teams just move the blitzed around to exploit the weak part of the line anyway.

Maybe so, but the QB can see the rush coming from the other positions.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
I think the value of LT is vastly over rated. Teams just move the blitzed around to exploit the weak part of the line anyway.

It's interesting. I watched an program the other day where coaches and players were interviewed. With the exception of one player when individually asked what the most important position was on the offensive line they had the same answer and it wasn't LT.

The whole concept of blindside isn't really all that valid. A QB should have field scanning mechanics and if they don't they won't last long. Take a look at the Lions as an excellent example. The pressure they generate usually isn't against a LT. Other teams are much more fluid with their defensive packages and pressure from varied points on the field.

As for the answer the players and coaches gave. The Center!

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

It's interesting. I watched an program the other day where coaches and players were interviewed. With the exception of one player when individually asked what the most important position was on the offensive line they had the same answer and it wasn't LT.

The whole concept of blindside isn't really all that valid. A QB should have field scanning mechanics and if they don't they won't last long. Take a look at the Lions as an excellent example. The pressure they generate usually isn't against a LT. Other teams are much more fluid with their defensive packages and pressure from varied points on the field.

Yup. Defenses are built from the inside out, the OL is too. The reason OT's are put at a premium is because the technique is different and harder. Most OT's can play OG, but not the other way around. OC, and OG footwork is much more side to side while an OT's footwork is nearly 100% and requires faster reactions. It's a harder position meaning better offensive lineman are required to play OT.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neux. We got our franchise LT in Riley Reiff. I would rather use our resources elsewhere.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

Of course. Because making the line calls is the most important thing on the Oline. It is, however, also much easier to find an OC that can make line calls than it is to find an OT that can shut down a premier pass rusher from the blindside.

Look no further than the average salaries along the line to see precisely who NFL FO's feel is the hardest/most important position along the Oline. Center has help blocking on both sides. LT is on an island out where the QB cannot see. While you are correct on a number of points, there just is no way to downplay the importance of the LT. IMO it is the 2nd most important position on the field. I can see arguments for up to maybe 3 other positions ahead of it, but not more.

Regardless. Even if one feels the importance of said position is not that great, to say you would not like to have one of the premier players at a prime age for the position is ludicrous. Would Long make this team better? Absolutely. Pending cost would he likely make a bigger positive difference for this team than the pick required to acquire him? Certainly IMO. If that is not your opinion, fine. But I really don't see an argument otherwise personally.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Of course. Because making the line calls is the most important thing on the Oline. It is, however, also much easier to find an OC that can make line calls than it is to find an OT that can shut down a premier pass rusher from the blindside.

Look no further than the average salaries along the line to see precisely who NFL FO's feel is the hardest/most important position along the Oline. Center has help blocking on both sides. LT is on an island out where the QB cannot see. While you are correct on a number of points, there just is no way to downplay the importance of the LT. IMO it is the 2nd most important position on the field. I can see arguments for up to maybe 3 other positions ahead of it, but not more.

Regardless. Even if one feels the importance of said position is not that great, to say you would not like to have one of the premier players at a prime age for the position is ludicrous. Would Long make this team better? Absolutely. Pending cost would he likely make a bigger positive difference for this team than the pick required to acquire him? Certainly IMO. If that is not your opinion, fine. But I really don't see an argument otherwise personally.

It's far more than just making line calls though. Salaries don't really mean much because those change as the game evolves. Yesterday's flavour was LT but over the last several years defences have schemed to create pressure from different spots on the line.

I would love to have an elite player at any position but all things considered I would much prefer the Lions to add an elite C or G.

Having an elite LT doesn't mean much if the interior line can't hold a pocket. As well if the pocket holds the QB stepping up can negate exterior pass rushes.

I think the whole concept of needing an elite player at any position is kind of foolish to be quite honest. Nice to have, certainly but not a requirement for success.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the NFL going more spread with 3 and 4 wide receiver sets, and the amount of check downs and screens teams use now, the LT lost importance. QB's rarely are in the pocket as long as they were 4, 5 years ago.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
With the NFL going more spread with 3 and 4 wide receiver sets, and the amount of check downs and screens teams use now, the LT lost importance. QB's rarely are in the pocket as long as they were 4, 5 years ago.

Well said. The schemes and strategy evolve and as the evolution matures players on both sides of the ball become more or less important.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Having a bad LT can hurt a team a lot, but having an elite LT isnt much better than having a good or even average LT, compared to the difference having an elite WR or elite DE makes.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Look at teams like the Jets and Steelers, when Mangold, and Pouncey don't play their whole offense plays worse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have JL come here...but I think MM believes the linemen just don't have the impact that skill position players have. I think we have a better shot at Braylon that JL probably
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Center, we're going to need a new one of those soon.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is long going be a FA after this season? why wouldn't we go for him in the off-season and trade no1 for him? from wht im hearing the dolphins may let him walk...
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyguy1609 wrote:
is long going be a FA after this season? why wouldn't we go for him in the off-season and trade no1 for him? from wht im hearing the dolphins may let him walk...

Because he can be franchised and dealt elsewhere, also in the open market Jake Long would get a massive underserved contract from us or someone else vs Lions trading for him and being the only team to negotiate with.
LION KING

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jake Long is a great player who happens to be on a terrible team, if they're willing to move him for a 2nd round pick you jump at it period.

I would love to have him protecting Stafford blind side!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: