Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Desean Jackson a luxury we can’t afford?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Desean Jackson a luxury we can't afford?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 14

Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't afford to have both Jackson and Maclin.

Trade Maclin and get someone else. Start Cooper across Jackson until we do.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
PowerElite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Start Cooper across Jackson until we do.

I have a slow developing mock which implements that.
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
We can't afford to have both Jackson and Maclin.

Trade Maclin and get someone else. Start Cooper across Jackson until we do.

This is probably the correct answer in the long run. Maclin and Jackson are too similar (in the general sense) of players. Both are speed/finesse guys. They don't compliment each other well. Jackson is faster and the better playmaker (plus he isn't going into the last year of his contract) so is the obvious solution to keep. I think Andy was trying to replicate "The Greatest Show on Turf".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy_law wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Jackson isn't a true #1 but we require him to act like one, get a WR that is bigger or a true #1 and I think you will see Jackson play better

Ryan Swope
Marquess Wilson

I love Swope he is one of my favorite prospects in the draft but if we sign a FA Olineman and take care of secondary with our first round pick. I would love to have Coradelle with out 2nd round pick.

So the Avant 'clone' or the guy who walked off his team?

Swope is not an "Avant clone". He is faster and better with the ball in his hands. He has the talent to spot start on the outside, but would be best placed in the slot (so he really doesn't come into the conversation as a compliment to Jackson). He does have some of Avant's better qualities though. Good hands, good routes, and the guy can take a hit and hold onto the ball. He also plays with an attitude.

Basically he would be the competition for Avant's job that PE has been crying about and is good enough to be a "#3" instead of a strictly slot guy.

See, I see the same thing in Swope as in Avant, both purely slot guys. I want my #3 receiver to be able to step up and play on the outside if either of the top 2 receivers are injured.

And he can.

A&M uses him quite a lot on the outside.

http://youtu.be/L73hKMz4vkI?t=2m31s

This play right here is something we would never see Avant do

I'd love to get Swope in the slot and Dobson to play X across from Jackson and see how that develops in a couple of years...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
I think Andy was trying to replicate "The Greatest Show on Turf".

He probably was, but it couldn't happen with Avant scoring 2TDs in his last 41 games... Teams played deep zone and shut the Eagles down, now they don't need to do that because the offensive line is horrible and Macklin/Jackson have already loss some of the speed they had, yet with no improvement in other areas or versatility to make up for it.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
If we, say bring in Norv Turner as OC, he just doesn't use short receivers. Then what?
Isn't Eddie Royal a Charger right now?

I'm sure if we hire someone who "doesn't use short WRs," they'll find a way to use DeSean somehow.

You mean the eddie Royal that had >20 catches this year through 10 games? Yea, he doesn't use them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeSean is a great weapon, #1 receiver he is not. DeSean is SEVERLY underutilized in the return game by Andy Reid. I think that putting Damaris Johnson back there instead of Jackson for returns is dumb considering Jackson made his probowls/money in the return game, not necessarily as a WR.

I compare Jackson to Josh Cribbs, Devin Hester, and Dante Hall. All above average return men but when put at WR they are considered below average. DeSean excels at go routes (speed) and end arounds (speed) and has that X factor quality but as a #1 WR I don't think he cuts the cheese.

We need someone that is capable of drawing the double team with the size and skill to be a true #1 for DeSean's one-trick pony style of play to work. Maclin at this point has not panned out the way we would like him to when drafting him at 19 overall (my Hakeem Nicks Boner still has not been satisfied). Does that mean he could still develop? Sure, but i'm not banking the future on him at this point.

I think that if/when a new coach is brought in DeSean should be returned to his position as a full time return man and a prototypical #1 WR will be brought in to complement DeSean's style of play.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem isn't your skill players.

Problem is your offensive line is too garbage to have time to get the ball to those skill players for any QB.

Again, Did you see the Patriots in the Super Bowl vs the Giants?

The same Patriots that had Randy Moss, Welker, etc that set an NFL record for PPG?

They looked like garbage in the Super Bowl vs the Giants because Brady had no time

That game is what the Eagles face every game. You have to have time to get the ball to the playmakers
marky_b27

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Problem isn't your skill players.

Problem is your offensive line is too garbage to have time to get the ball to those skill players for any QB.

Again, Did you see the Patriots in the Super Bowl vs the Giants?

The same Patriots that had Randy Moss, Welker, etc that set an NFL record for PPG?

They looked like garbage in the Super Bowl vs the Giants because Brady had no time

That game is what the Eagles face every game. You have to have time to get the ball to the playmakers

The problem is the QB and the offensive line.

No point having all pros at receiver if you QB is too incompetent to get the ball to them.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to god… If I listened to you people we'd start the roster from scratch next season. DeSean Jackson compared to Dante Hall and Devin Hester?! ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!?! We can't afford DeSean? Yeah, who can afford the best deep ball threat in the league, we sure can't. We can't afford a wide receiver who manipulates and affects the way opposing secondaries play us. Nope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
I swear to god… If I listened to you people we'd start the roster from scratch next season. DeSean Jackson compared to Dante Hall and Devin Hester?! ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!?! We can't afford DeSean? Yeah, who can afford the best deep ball threat in the league, we sure can't. We can't afford a wide receiver who manipulates and affects the way opposing secondaries play us. Nope.

Easy there, no need to get emotional about it. It is only one possible outcome. I presume you just read the title and went off in a huff. Read and then come back with some reasoned comments.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Meco wrote:

Easy there, no need to get emotional about it. It is only one possible outcome. I presume you just read the title and went off in a huff. Read and then come back with some reasoned comments.

There are no reasoned comments in this thread. DeSean is a gimmick? He's just an x-factor? He can only run two routes? He's just fast? He's just like Devin Hester? He's small so we can't afford him? He's soft and overrated. I KNOW, LETS REPLACE HIM WITH RYAN SWOPE! That's just stupidity. No other way around it. Sorry. I can't even put into words how dumb this is. First Avant, then Maclin and now DeSean? #Facepalm

Bad fans. Bad, bad fans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling me stupid now. That's a clever idea.

Is he a gimmick? Well call him what you like. I'd called Harvin a gimmick type player, same with McCluster and Cobb - are they bad players? No.

Just an x factor? Do you even know what an x factor is? I bet the answer is no.

Then where did I say he only runs two routes, where did I say he's like Devin Hester, where did I say he's too small we can't afford him?

NOWHERE

For once be respectful of other people's posts and stop thinking like your superior to everyone else.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Meco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about everyone, not just you. Are you even reading the responses in your own thread?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
I'm talking about everyone, not just you. Are you even reading the responses in your own thread?

Yes.

You came in here, attacked my posts and then start putting words in my mouth.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't post. It's that simple.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: