Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

***Thanksgiving Day Mock Draft***
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
See I was just thinking brake the bank on a FA LT, draft a LG in round 3-4 which is great value, than a developmental C in the 5th. Then have Carimi/Webb battle for the RT spot. What would we do with Carimi if we signed a LT and brought in a RT in the top 2? LG?

It would depend on what we do offensively…if we stick with a PBS I would try and sign a LT…draft an LG and open up the RT position for a competition between Webb & Carimi in the hope that Carimi can get his knee back under him…

If we move to a ZBS and bring in the type of offence that Cutler & Marshall have excelled in before then I would keep sign a LT…draft a RT early then draft a LG in the mid rounds…I know that seems like overkill trying to have all those new pieces but it’s time to completely blow it up and start all over again…at that point I would try and recoup something for Carimi wither it be a pick or a player…

As I said I know signing or drafting 3 Olinemen is a lot but the Oline is killing us right now and we finally have the talent at the skill positions to really compete if we can sort it out…time to dedicate an offseason to fixing that problem then go real hard on D next offseason…then we can get back to balanced drafting.

I would be shocked if we went to a zone blocking system for a couple of reasons. And don't think I am not a ZBS fan because that is all we do in Canada.

-As crazy as this sounds for ZBS we would need a different field. ZBS is based on the principal of one hard cut at the line and then running. We saw with the Arian Foster slip fest that the crap the Bears play on would make it tough.

-I don't think Cutler needs ZBS, he just needs better lineman to start.

-We would need 5 new lineman because I don't think anyone we have, maybe Webb, is athletic enough to cross a down line mans face and routinely get to the 2nd level.

I think with our field, our weather and our building block talent, Louis, we will stay away for a ZBS.

I don’t buy the whole field argument…for years we saw Denver run a fully zone blocking scheme and now we see it in Washington…not only that but over the course of the last 3 or 4 years we have saw NE, NYJ & BAL all run forms of zone blocking…none of those teams play on field turf…even the Packers run some zone...the weather during the Houston game was extreme…we wouldn’t be playing in that very often…

As far as needing new Olinemen I think we would need 3 right off the bat…Lance Louis without doubt has the athletic ability to play in a ZBS…he might be the most athletic OG pound for pound in the NFL…Garza played in Atlanta when they were running a ZBS with Michael Vick…he isn’t an ideal fit but he could still be a veteran presence up front…Chris Spencer would also be a viable backup to keep around for a ZBS as would Edwin Williams who came across it in Washington for a while…we would need two new OTs and a new LG…signing an OT and drafting two Olinemen is nothing short of what we need.

Last edited by Madmike90 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I like it. I don't see us going Woods but I would love him in the slot between 15 and 17. Kid can flat out play. My biggest concern is that we may not be able to afford both Albert and Melton. Love to add Albert though. To think he was taken with the pick immediately after Chris Williams...

I think a precise route runner like Woods, that's where it goes on 3rd and short, thats Jay's safety blanket, he will be in single coverage the entire game, mostly with the #3 CB. That's a winning recipe for Jay Cutler.
My concern as well AZ...I'm hoping we can lock melton up to a friendlier deal than resorting to the Franchise tag. I'm not as informed on our current Salary cap as I should be, however, I assume if Urlacher retires along with unloading bad contracts we could swing a deal for a franchise LT. Just have to have faith in Phil Cool
It still irks me as well, I almost posted the picture of him on the phone at pick #15 on draft day just to let everyone know what coulda, shoulda, woulda, happened.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
See I was just thinking brake the bank on a FA LT, draft a LG in round 3-4 which is great value, than a developmental C in the 5th. Then have Carimi/Webb battle for the RT spot. What would we do with Carimi if we signed a LT and brought in a RT in the top 2? LG?

It would depend on what we do offensively…if we stick with a PBS I would try and sign a LT…draft an LG and open up the RT position for a competition between Webb & Carimi in the hope that Carimi can get his knee back under him…

If we move to a ZBS and bring in the type of offence that Cutler & Marshall have excelled in before then I would keep sign a LT…draft a RT early then draft a LG in the mid rounds…I know that seems like overkill trying to have all those new pieces but it’s time to completely blow it up and start all over again…at that point I would try and recoup something for Carimi wither it be a pick or a player…

As I said I know signing or drafting 3 Olinemen is a lot but the Oline is killing us right now and we finally have the talent at the skill positions to really compete if we can sort it out…time to dedicate an offseason to fixing that problem then go real hard on D next offseason…then we can get back to balanced drafting.

I would be shocked if we went to a zone blocking system for a couple of reasons. And don't think I am not a ZBS fan because that is all we do in Canada.

-As crazy as this sounds for ZBS we would need a different field. ZBS is based on the principal of one hard cut at the line and then running. We saw with the Arian Foster slip fest that the crap the Bears play on would make it tough.

-We would need 5 new lineman because I don't think anyone we have, maybe Webb, is athletic enough to cross a down line mans face and routinely get to the 2nd level.

I think with our field, our weather and our building block talent, Louis, we will stay away for a ZBS.

I don’t buy the whole field argument…for years we saw Denver run a fully zone blocking scheme and now we see it in Washington…not only that but over the course of the last 3 or 4 years we have saw NE, NYJ & BAL all run forms of zone blocking…none of those teams play on field turf…even the Packers run some zone...the weather during the Houston game was extreme…we wouldn’t be playing in that very often…

As far as needing new Olinemen I think we would need 3 right off the bat…Lance Louis without doubt has the athletic ability to play in a ZBS…he might be the most athletic OG pound for pound in the NFL…Garza played in Atlanta when they were running a ZBS with Michael Vick…he isn’t an ideal fit but he could still be a veteran presence up front…Chris Spencer would also be a viable backup to keep around for a ZBS as would Edwin Williams who came across it in Washington for a while…we would need two new OTs and a new LG…signing an OT and drafting two Olinemen is nothing short of what we need.

Soidier field has the worst turf in the league and it makes it more difficult for a team to be fast and quick to the 2nd level.

I am not saying that we couldn't do it, it would be a massive overhaul.

The guy I am hoping we get as OC is Pete Carmichael from New Orleans who will not be calling plays when Payton gets back.

Carmichael runs a much different system that emphasis huge OGs that can protect so we have a different vision.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Soidier field has the worst turf in the league and it makes it more difficult for a team to be fast and quick to the 2nd level.

The guy I am hoping we get as OC is Pete Carmichael from New Orleans who will not be calling plays when Payton gets back.

Carmichael runs a much different system that emphasis huge OGs that can protect so we have a different vision.

Unless he is sacked we couldn't even talk to him.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely like this mock but it's also a bit unrealistic. 3 very talented underclassmen all declaring and all falling to us when they could go higher.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I definitely like this mock but it's also a bit unrealistic. 3 very talented underclassmen all declaring and all falling to us when they could go higher.

I'll say it all again... Robert Woods realizes he's #2 to Lee, he's declaring.
Quote:
I see him being 5th-6th receiver off the board, falling right into our laps. Alshon Jeffery was the 6th receiver selected in the 2012 NFL Draft at pick #45, for reference...
Seems realistic.

Kevin Minter is regarded as a top 3 ILB in this class, I don't see there being as much uncertainty about him declaring... Like I said, After Te'o I really do like Tree, Minter, Mosley, Brown, all of which would be great picks and you and I both know 6+ ILBs aren't going to be selected in the top 60 picks... In 2012, there were 3 ILB's that got selected in the top 60 picks. Very realistic.

I see Emery valuing a LG in round 3. Kelechi Osemele was selected in the last 5 picks of the 2nd round last year... I don't see anyway he becomes a better prospect than Osemele. The 3rd-4th round seems like the right spot for Jackson.

Did you even read the explanations?
Quote:
Each year there are surprise players that declare for the draft, Gavin Escobar is one of those guys for me. The 2014 TE class is looking to be one of the strongest in recent memory, yet this year it is lacking, I think he'll see that and declare.

There's no way he's jumping Eifert, Ertz, or Reed in the top 3.
Quote:
Evan Rodriguez was the 4th TE selected in the 2012 NFL Draft in the middle of the 4th round

Again, seems very realistic...

DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does being #2 to Lee have to do with him declaring? Lee is a potential top 5 pick.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Unless he is sacked we couldn't even talk to him.

We could ask for permission to talk to him. It is not unheard of for teams to allow a lateral move especially in this circumstance.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
We could ask for permission to talk to him. It is not unheard of for teams to allow a lateral move especially in this circumstance.

I’m pretty sure you can’t…I think it has to be a clear promotion to even ask for permission…remember Tom Clements a few years back.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I’m pretty sure you can’t…I think it has to be a clear promotion to even ask for permission…remember Tom Clements a few years back.

You can ask anyone about anyone, but they can reject you like the Packers did with Clements.

I would be surprised with Carmichaels role that they would not let him interview for a lateral promotion. It would be bad form to not let a guy interview for a play calling position when he is not calling plays.

They could reject us.

I would love to get someone attached to Sean Payton.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

You can ask anyone about anyone, but they can reject you like the Packers did with Clements.

I would be surprised with Carmichaels role that they would not let him interview for a lateral promotion. It would be bad form to not let a guy interview for a play calling position when he is not calling plays.

They could reject us.

I'm fairly certain at this point Tice is gone, Emery's gunna want his guy. I kind of like Mike's idea of bringing someone from the college ranks. Any way someone like Steve Sarkissian leaves Washington?

WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

They could reject us.

I'm fairly certain at this point Tice is gone, Emery's gunna want his guy. I kind of like Mike's idea of bringing someone from the college ranks. Any way someone like Steve Sarkissian leaves Washington?

No one is going to leave a major college HC job to be an OC for lame duck Lovie.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

They could reject us.

After finishing 7-5 on the season I can't see him leaving but there is no doubt he would be a good choice for OC...altho the Huskies offence has been pretty below average...

My first choice would be the redskins QB coach Matt LaFleur since he has spent time with both Shanahan & Kubiak and for me putting Jay back into that offence that has a set identity makes a whole lot of sense…

Outside of that I would possibly go down the college route…James Coley at Florida State is a guy who has been around a lot of good offences…maybe even a guy like Mike Bobo at Georgia as well as some of the bigger names who we might be able to entice.
blair18

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

played against cave in high school. One dude i ever actively avoided (played LB). HUGE. plays mean. works hard from everything i've ever heard.

Thanks to Lionsmack for the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: