Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

***Thanksgiving Day Mock Draft***
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: ***Thanksgiving Day Mock Draft*** Reply with quote

Chicago Bears 2013 Offseason/Mock Draft-

RESIGN:
Henry Melton DT
Nate Collins DT
Amobi Okoye DT
Nick Roach LB
DJ Moore CB
Kelvin Hayden CB
Lance Louis OG
Israel Idonije DL
Patrick Mannelly LS

CUT/LET GO:
Kellen Davis TE
Chris Spencer OL
Brian Urlacher LB
Geno Hayes LB
Jason Campbell QB
Johnny Knox WR

FREE AGENCY:

Sign Branden Albert LT

No matter which way you look at it, the Bears have the worst Offensive line in the NFL. If Phil Emery is as smart as we all say he is, he'll realize now, not in 2 seasons that we need a drastic improvement... I truly feel he is going to do anything and everything it takes to sign a Franchise LT, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm fully aware of the argument made that franchise LT's don't see the open market, that may be true in most cases but there should definitely be some options for Emery to work with... And let's be real, when #1 WR was as big a need as LT, who thought we had any chance at Brandon Marshall? Let's see what magic Phil can make, and I find little to no chance ANOTHER 1st round LT is taken, especially with likelihood of that player being a "project" of sorts... Sebastian Vollmer will likely see the market because a team will view him as a LT, which he should be, and pay him like one. Branden Albert is another guy I think has a real shot at seeing Free Agency, the OT and WR franchise tags in 2013 are the same at around 9 million... I see the Chiefs valuing Bowe more at that price than an Olineman. Emery has ties to Albert dating back to his days in KC, and I really don't see him him gambling on anybody with an injury history, making Albert #1 on his priority list come the offseason IMO. (I'm not getting into salary #'s, If Urlacher retires we will have enough to sign a top LT)

http://youtu.be/R31LpY2OEig

Sign Kyle Orton QB

The reasoning for this will be short and sweet. After the performance Jason Campbell put on Monday Night, I can never see this team having faith in him should he be called upon again... However, It may be a little early to make this decision... Right now, I'd rather sign NeckBeard!

TRADE: picks #26, #186 to the Philadelphia Eagles for #41, #75
I'm really not sure how accurate, if at all, the 'NFL Trade value chart' is but these #'s match up almost identical... I think the value of them changed in the new collect bargaining agreement but there wasn't a trade in last years draft thats similar to this one so it's hard to reference. This seems very reasonable. Philadelphia will have a new coaching staff, and with it might come some splash to get Philly fans back in high spirits. I would say the chance of Emery trading back in this draft is higher than 50/50, I truly believe that.

2*(41): Robert Woods WR, Southern California

[b]This pick may come as a surprise to a lot of people, but just hear me out. If it hasn't become apparent to you that Earl Bennett and Devin Hester do not belong, I'd just be wasting my time with an illogical Bears fan. Yes, Jay likes big bodied receivers, and Yes he has two of them, one of which was drafted in the 2nd round last year. What Jay doesn't have, and desperately needs, yet very few people mention it, a consistent/go to slot receiver. Somebody who runs crisp routes, and isn't afraid to work the middle of the field(Johnny Knox *cough*). X- Marshall, Z- Jeffery, X- Woods, you better watch out. I'm starting to build some concern to Jeffery's health and injury history, the guy looks skinny and somewhat fragile out there. When it's only Marshall out there that Jay feels comfortable with, that's when forced throws and interceptions are made. I really like the value of this pick too, it seems Woods has dropped and is flying under the radar. I see him being the 5-6th receiver off the board, falling right into our laps. Alshon Jeffery was the 6th WR taken in the 2012 NFL Draft at pick #45, for reference...

http://youtu.be/-TGu60OSVG8

2(59): Kevin Minter LB, Louisiana State

[b]
Unfortunately, the Urlacher era has officially come to an end... I truly believe his body won't allow him to compete at the level he wishes, resulting in retirement. Fortunately, however, Nick Roach has had experience playing MLB which gives us a viable option there. I expect Emery to pull the trigger early on an ILB to compete, eventually taking over the play calling of the Defense. Briggs is named the new Defensive Captain along with Julius Peppers. Kevin Minter reminds me so much of Lance Briggs its actually his best comparison IMO. He's got great instincts, and shed's blocks with the best of them. He is a little bit shorter at 6'1" but he looks to have tremendous lower body strength and actually uses his height better for leverage purposes. It's hard to get a real good feeling of his coverage abilities because quite frankly he's not asked to do a whole lot of it at LSU. That could be good and bad. Good from the point that he should drop a little bit as a result, bad because it is somewhat an unknown. I think he has all the intangibles to make become solid in coverage. He has veterans and great coaches around him, I love the desire he has and emotion he brings, he would be a great fit for this defense and somebody I could see Briggs enjoying playing next too. I see Minter somewhat scheme specific and the fact that his first PD came last season will shy teams away from selecting him in the 1st round. Not to mention ILB's are another position generally not valued as high. I see him getting drafted in the same range as Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David were last year, mid 2nd- early 3rd. Minter is ranked anywhere from 2-5 at ILB on most boards I've seen, Wagner was the 3rd ILB drafted in 2012 in the middle of the 2nd round. This of all the picks is the least likely to be here when we pick, but there are several guys I do like (Minter, Ogletree, Brown) that one will unquestionable be there when we pick at the end of the 2nd. It really will be whoever Emery prefers, we all knew a DE was coming, just who. Not a single person said McClellin, so we really do have no idea who he'll like most but I'm rather sure he will select a LB in the first 2 rounds. I do believe Minter will be there, and he's the pick.

http://youtu.be/RybIpxUVefo

3*(75): Gabe Jackson OG, Mississippi State

[b]Let me tell you this is the #1 most underrated Offensive lineman eligible for this draft. If you don't know anything about Gabe Jackson, or have never seen him play, instead of that being the reason you don't like him in the 3rd round go watch the video at the bottom. He is Chance Warmack's younger brother. When he locks onto a defender, he is driven right out of the play every single time. He has great feet, looks natural when pulling and getting to the 2nd level. He is the prototypical LG, starting every game there since redshirting in 09. Plug and play, will man it for the next 5-10 years. I think he is far superior to Larry Warford who is rated above him everywhere I look. Jackson has great size at 6'4" 320, would be first-team All-SEC if it was not for Warmack. I don't see Emery going OL round 1, like I stated above, whatever it takes for a FA LT, and draft a LG in the top 3 where there is still great value. I think this will be Emery's way of thinking.

http://youtu.be/1rHiCPDt1M4

4(125): Gavin Escobar TE, San Diego State

Are we allowed to have a favorite pick in our own mock? Well this is it. Gavin Escobar is my #3 TE in this draft class, but I have yet to find a website that lists him in the top 5 eligible TE's. Each year there are surprise players that declare for the draft, Gavin Escobar is one of those guys for me. The 2014 TE class is looking to be one of the strongest in recent memory, yet this year it is lacking, I think he'll see that and declare. He is a LETHAL redzone threat, and some of the best hands I've seen out of TE's declaring. He is noticeably still maturing after watching his transformation the last few years(lived 4 blocks from SDSU), came back to my hometown and watched him catch 3 balls for 24 yards against New Mexico with a fractured hand.(what's up Gronk!?).
In 2011, Escobar's stats were 780 yards, 7 TD's; Alshon Jeffery's were 762 yards, 8 TD's, for comparison Wink
Evan Rodriguez was the 4th TE selected in the 2012 NFL Draft in the middle of the 4th round before the likes of Orson Charles and Lardarius Green. I struggle to see him cracking peoples top 4-5, making him easily available by the mid/end of the 4th round.

http://youtu.be/WgZm7M3PoO8

5(156): Braxston Cave C, Notre Dame

I'm sure the common theme will be "No way we bring in 3 new OLineman". I really believe Emery is going to see the light of day, and realize if Cutler has another season or two of this punishment his career could well be over due to concussions/injuries. Every one on this board has their favorite punching bag along the Oline, for some reason, Roberto Garza is never mentioned. I can't stand watching him trip trying to pull, or getting manhandled in one on ones vs mediocre DT's. He is the only one on the line that has zero chance of progressing, can you imagine what he's going to look like next season? If we don't address it now, we are going to be screaming for his head this time next season. Please, please, Emery realize this and bring someone in to develop for a year in case of this.
Braxston Cave is a graduate student, leading a Notre Dame offense to a #1 national ranking. He is exactly what you want from your Center, or any player for that matter, to say a hard worker is an understatement... Claiming to have the same 6AM workout routine for the last 9 years, he is the definition of good work ethic. He is one of the most experienced lineman in this draft, having seen action in 08, appearing in all 12 games in 09, starting every game in 2010, 2012. Had a season ending foot injury in 2011, has come back better than ever this season. Cave is a very intellegient player as well, being able to call plays out at the line and someone I'd feel very comfortable snapping the ball to Jay for the rest of his career. Interesting fact: Cave grew up in Granger, Indiana; Cutler in Santa Claus, Indiana only several hundred miles away. Also is a Long snapper at ND, has Special teams value. He plays with SO much power, the guy is extremely strong, wouldn't be surprised to see him throw 35-40 reps. Center's seem to drop in the draft for whatever reason, Cave is #3 on just about every board I've seen sometimes #4/5. In 2012 Ben Jones was the 2nd rated C and dropped to the 4th round, the 4th Center taken was David Molk in the 7th round...

http://youtu.be/UT_pRoWGtE4

Thanks for taking a look guys, let me know what you think!!!

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert would obviously be a great signing…Orton tho is under contract until 2015 and I doubt Dallas let him go…

As much as I agree Emery will trade back I do see him doing it for a Robert Woods…a slot receiver would be good but we have bigger needs like the rest of the Oline & CB which will be a real big need if DJ Moore is let go…I don’t agree that Minter makes it this far in the draft…he is the #2 ILB in this draft IMO and I reckon someone will snap him up before this…Jackson would be a rock solid pick in the 3rd if we stick with a power blocking scheme…Escobar & Cave again would be solid if we stick with our current system.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Albert would obviously be a great signing…Orton tho is under contract until 2015 and I doubt Dallas let him go…

As much as I agree Emery will trade back I do see him doing it for a Robert Woods…a slot receiver would be good but we have bigger needs like the rest of the Oline & CB which will be a real big need if DJ Moore is let go…I don’t agree that Minter makes it this far in the draft…he is the #2 ILB in this draft IMO and I reckon someone will snap him up before this…Jackson would be a rock solid pick in the 3rd if we stick with a power blocking scheme…Escobar & Cave again would be solid if we stick with our current system.

I think Emery has shown he doesn't value OL to the extend of other positions. WR is a top 5 need on this team, Bennett and Hester are not NFL caliber WR's.... I think instead of taking an interior lineman with the first pick, Emery will value that position more in the 3rd-4th round IF a FA LT is signed... which I said there would be. I like Jackson in the 3rd more than I like Cooper in the 1st, Warford/Fluker in the 2nd, etc... We need to give Jay every weapon he can get. Your right Minter may, or may not be there for that pick, but like Te'o, Ogletree, Minter, Mosley, A. Brown will not all go in the top 55 picks... So somebody will be there, like I said, whoever Emery's preference is...

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I think Emery has shown he doesn't value OL to the extend of other positions. WR is a top 5 need on this team, Bennett and Hester are not NFL caliber WR's.... I think instead of taking an interior lineman with the first pick, Emery will value that position more in the 3rd-4th round IF a FA LT is signed... which I said there would be. I like Jackson in the 3rd more than I like Cooper in the 1st, Warford/Fluker in the 2nd, etc... We need to give Jay every weapon he can get. Your right Minter may, or may not be there for that pick, but like Te'o, Ogletree, Minter, Mosley, A. Brown will not all go in the top 55 picks... So somebody will be there, like I said, whoever Emery's preference is...

I don't think after one draft in a short offseason for him as our GM we can say we have seen anything of Emery's tendencies…it will be another 2 or 3 drafts before we have a real handle on how he values positions…

I agree Hester isn’t an NFL WR but I think Bennett is a guy who can still be productive if he can stay healthy and if he is getting favourable matchups…personally I have never valued #2 or #3 WRs as highly as others…I think with a true #1 receiver in Marshall our other guys have time to work…as long as Jay has time to stand in the pocket…if we can’t keep Jay upright for 3 seconds then it doesn’t matter which receivers we have…now I agree with you that I think Emery will try and trade down and I also don’t think he will take an interior Olinemen in the 1st round…but signing one OT might not be enough for him…I think there is a strong chance he could draft another OT with our first pick even if that pick is in the 2nd round…especially if we do the smart thing and get Cutler back into the system that made him worth given up 2 first round picks for.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I don't think after one draft in a short offseason for him as our GM we can say we have seen anything of Emery's tendencies…it will be another 2 or 3 drafts before we have a real handle on how he values positions…

I agree Hester isn’t an NFL WR but I think Bennett is a guy who can still be productive if he can stay healthy and if he is getting favourable matchups…personally I have never valued #2 or #3 WRs as highly as others…I think with a true #1 receiver in Marshall our other guys have time to work…as long as Jay has time to stand in the pocket…if we can’t keep Jay upright for 3 seconds then it doesn’t matter which receivers we have…now I agree with you that I think Emery will try and trade down and I also don’t think he will take an interior Olinemen in the 1st round…but signing one OT might not be enough for him…I think there is a strong chance he could draft another OT with our first pick even if that pick is in the 2nd round…especially if we do the smart thing and get Cutler back into the system that made him worth given up 2 first round picks for.

Your right it's too soon to develop any real understanding of Phil's draft tendanencies... although given how poorly our OL was last season, he didnt even feel a single draft pick was worth it. Especially if he goes out and signs a FA LT. I think he'll be even less inclined to go OL with the first pick... I wouldn't be surprised if Hester was demoted to KR/PR only, and Bennett was locked at #4 with Weems at #5. We're trying to make Jay the best we can, a lethal slot reciever would be his safety blanket. Think Randall Cobb in the 2nd round for GB 2 seasons ago, except better.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Your right it's too soon to develop any real understanding of Phil's draft tendanencies... although given how poorly our OL was last season, he didnt even feel a single draft pick was worth it. Especially if he goes out and signs a FA LT. I think he'll be even less inclined to go OL with the first pick... I wouldn't be surprised if Hester was demoted to KR/PR only, and Bennett was locked at #4 with Weems at #5. We're trying to make Jay the best we can, a lethal slot reciever would be his safety blanket. Think Randall Cobb in the 2nd round for GB 2 seasons ago, except better.

As bad as the Oline was last year there was no doubt we needed a pass rusher & WR last year...the value on the board was higher than the Olinemen available plus you get the impression Tice ok'ed the guys we had...which he obviously shouldn't have...I totally agree that a Randall Cobb type would be great for us but I still feel we have to get the basics right before we go out and get a playmaker like that.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

As bad as the Oline was last year there was no doubt we needed a pass rusher & WR last year...the value on the board was higher than the Olinemen available plus you get the impression Tice ok'ed the guys we had...which he obviously shouldn't have...I totally agree that a Randall Cobb type would be great for us but I still feel we have to get the basics right before we go out and get a playmaker like that.

Don't make me dig for your 2012 big board, I guarantee you Shea McClellin was nowhere near David DeCastro, Riley Reiff, Cordy Glenn etc.. And getting back to the basics won't be an necessary when we have a competent Offensive Coordinator.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Don't make me dig for your 2012 big board, I guarantee you Shea McClellin was nowhere near David DeCastro, Riley Reiff, Cordy Glenn etc.. And getting back to the basics won't be an necessary when we have a competent Offensive Coordinator.

I'm not talking about for me...I would have taking DeCastro...it's also no secret that I would have taken Chandler Jones over McClellin...but for Emery and the coaching staff it's clear that they valued the pass rushers on the board...especially McClellin and IMO Bruce Irvin who would have been our pick had Seattle not grabbed him before us.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I'm not talking about for me...I would have taking DeCastro...it's also no secret that I would have taken Chandler Jones over McClellin...but for Emery and the coaching staff it's clear that they valued the pass rushers on the board...especially McClellin and IMO Bruce Irvin who would have been our pick had Seattle not grabbed him before us.

My bad I interpreted that wrong... If Emery thought DE/WR(after Marshall) were bigger needs than OL, I could easily see him valuing a WR/LB more than an interior Olineman AFTER he's broke the bank on a Free Agent LT.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

My bad I interpreted that wrong... If Emery thought DE/WR(after Marshall) were bigger needs than OL, I could easily see him valuing a WR/LB more than an interior Olineman AFTER he's broke the bank on a Free Agent LT.

Yeah maybe...maybe not...we will just have to wait and see...I just feel even an elite LT and a mid round guard won't be enough to sort us out...I'm looking for two new OTs right now to play in a ZBS lol.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I was just thinking brake the bank on a FA LT, draft a LG in round 3-4 which is great value, than a developmental C in the 5th. Then have Carimi/Webb battle for the RT spot. What would we do with Carimi if we signed a LT and brought in a RT in the top 2? LG?

Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
See I was just thinking brake the bank on a FA LT, draft a LG in round 3-4 which is great value, than a developmental C in the 5th. Then have Carimi/Webb battle for the RT spot. What would we do with Carimi if we signed a LT and brought in a RT in the top 2? LG?

It would depend on what we do offensively…if we stick with a PBS I would try and sign a LT…draft an LG and open up the RT position for a competition between Webb & Carimi in the hope that Carimi can get his knee back under him…

If we move to a ZBS and bring in the type of offence that Cutler & Marshall have excelled in before then I would keep sign a LT…draft a RT early then draft a LG in the mid rounds…I know that seems like overkill trying to have all those new pieces but it’s time to completely blow it up and start all over again…at that point I would try and recoup something for Carimi wither it be a pick or a player…

As I said I know signing or drafting 3 Olinemen is a lot but the Oline is killing us right now and we finally have the talent at the skill positions to really compete if we can sort it out…time to dedicate an offseason to fixing that problem then go real hard on D next offseason…then we can get back to balanced drafting.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I don't see us going Woods but I would love him in the slot between 15 and 17. Kid can flat out play. My biggest concern is that we may not be able to afford both Albert and Melton. Love to add Albert though. To think he was taken with the pick immediately after Chris Williams...

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

It would depend on what we do offensively…if we stick with a PBS I would try and sign a LT…draft an LG and open up the RT position for a competition between Webb & Carimi in the hope that Carimi can get his knee back under him…

If we move to a ZBS and bring in the type of offence that Cutler & Marshall have excelled in before then I would keep sign a LT…draft a RT early then draft a LG in the mid rounds…I know that seems like overkill trying to have all those new pieces but it’s time to completely blow it up and start all over again…at that point I would try and recoup something for Carimi wither it be a pick or a player…

As I said I know signing or drafting 3 Olinemen is a lot but the Oline is killing us right now and we finally have the talent at the skill positions to really compete if we can sort it out…time to dedicate an offseason to fixing that problem then go real hard on D next offseason…then we can get back to balanced drafting.

I would be shocked if we went to a zone blocking system for a couple of reasons. And don't think I am not a ZBS fan because that is all we do in Canada.

-As crazy as this sounds for ZBS we would need a different field. ZBS is based on the principal of one hard cut at the line and then running. We saw with the Arian Foster slip fest that the crap the Bears play on would make it tough.

-I don't think Cutler needs ZBS, he just needs better lineman to start.

-We would need 5 new lineman because I don't think anyone we have, maybe Webb, is athletic enough to cross a down line mans face and routinely get to the 2nd level.

I think with our field, our weather and our building block talent, Louis, we will stay away for a ZBS.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I like it. I don't see us going Woods but I would love him in the slot between 15 and 17. Kid can flat out play. My biggest concern is that we may not be able to afford both Albert and Melton. Love to add Albert though. To think he was taken with the pick immediately after Chris Williams...

The money all hinges on Urlacher and whether we sign him and for how much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: