Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Around The NFL- Week 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to what Slam is saying. While I will always be a Cowboy fan I am older now with different priorities. As a father, time has become a much more precious commodity. I would rather spend time with my sons than dedicate 3 hours to watch the mediocre product that the Cowboys have become. If we are home and the game is on we will watch if not, no big deal.
What bothers me the most is that through the spoiling of the 70's, the drought of the 80's and the resurgence of the 90's there was always a sense of hope. In the 70's and 90's after a tough loss, I knew we had a competitive club and the infrastructure to make personnel decisions and get us back on track. Even in the doom and gloom of the mid to late 80's I still maintained a sense that things would get better. This is what I am missing now - the sense that things will get better. I fear we are mired in mediocrity.
I will admit I am not a Garrett guy. I think he does do much thinking and loses sense of the game - see the multiple game mismangement fiascos, not knowing what down it is, and needing an assistant to talk him into challenging calls. As an evaluator of talent many sing Garrett's praises and we have landed some solid players on his watch. But we also have the 2012 draft which got us Claiborne, who will be terrific, and after that a bunch of role players that we reached for. I doubt if anyone after Claiborne contributes much.
This is an old argument but I think hope gets restored when Jerry sees the light and turns over the day to day on field operation to some football men. But I think the odds of that happening are slim to none. And that explains why I maintain a very grounded approach and attitude towards todays Cowboys.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there goes any hope for Todd Bowles getting the interim tag.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
I can relate to what Slam is saying. While I will always be a Cowboy fan I am older now with different priorities. As a father, time has become a much more precious commodity. I would rather spend time with my sons than dedicate 3 hours to watch the mediocre product that the Cowboys have become. If we are home and the game is on we will watch if not, no big deal.
What bothers me the most is that through the spoiling of the 70's, the drought of the 80's and the resurgence of the 90's there was always a sense of hope. In the 70's and 90's after a tough loss, I knew we had a competitive club and the infrastructure to make personnel decisions and get us back on track. Even in the doom and gloom of the mid to late 80's I still maintained a sense that things would get better. This is what I am missing now - the sense that things will get better. I fear we are mired in mediocrity.
I will admit I am not a Garrett guy. I think he does do much thinking and loses sense of the game - see the multiple game mismangement fiascos, not knowing what down it is, and needing an assistant to talk him into challenging calls. As an evaluator of talent many sing Garrett's praises and we have landed some solid players on his watch. But we also have the 2012 draft which got us Claiborne, who will be terrific, and after that a bunch of role players that we reached for. I doubt if anyone after Claiborne contributes much.
This is an old argument but I think hope gets restored when Jerry sees the light and turns over the day to day on field operation to some football men. But I think the odds of that happening are slim to none. And that explains why I maintain a very grounded approach and attitude towards todays Cowboys.

Well said.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY wish we were not playing the Eagles next week. I can't see them going 0-8. [Sigh]

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
mco65

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland, agree a lot with what you said. However, I still have hopes that Crawford turns out to be pretty good as well.

As for watching 3 plus hours of NFL, my youngest demands it and more. He has a much more care free attitude than I had at his age concerning football and the Cowboys but his love for the game is equal. I get frustrated and want to walk away from the tube but he never does. 28-3 at half and he is begging for the 2nd half to begin... i simply wish it were over..

oh to be young again!
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Northland, agree a lot with what you said. However, I still have hopes that Crawford turns out to be pretty good as well.

As for watching 3 plus hours of NFL, my youngest demands it and more. He has a much more care free attitude than I had at his age concerning football and the Cowboys but his love for the game is equal. I get frustrated and want to walk away from the tube but he never does. 28-3 at half and he is begging for the 2nd half to begin... i simply wish it were over..

oh to be young again!

MCO, I have walked away from Cowboy games this year and this was something I never would have done in the past. I still watch games and think we will have an interesting Monday nighter between the Giants and the Skins. My twin boys will watch bits and pieces of games. A couple of weeks ago we started a pool simply picking the winners no point spreads involved. They get a kick out of that.
The concern I have with Crawford is that the D Line has been hit with injuries and yet I don't remember his name getting called. He is getting playing time but isn't doing much. Not every pick is going to be lights out right away and I am not expecting that. But when you get an opportunity you better make the most of it. That's my concern with Crawford. He might be a good player but I think we reached.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
That's my concern with Crawford. He might be a good player but I think we reached.

A lot of draft pundits would disagree with you.

^^^Deadpulse
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, the Eagles have now lost 7 in a row and they have learned that Wr DeSean Jackson will miss the rest of the season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/desean-jackson-out-for-season-with-fractured-ribs/

And DE Jason Babin has been cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/eagles-cut-jason-babin/

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
In other news, the Eagles have now lost 7 in a row and they have learned that Wr DeSean Jackson will miss the rest of the season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/desean-jackson-out-for-season-with-fractured-ribs/

And we face them on Sunday Night where I don't think we have the best record. We couldn't lose to this version of the Eagles could we?
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Northland wrote:
That's my concern with Crawford. He might be a good player but I think we reached.

A lot of draft pundits would disagree with you.

Believe me I want to be proven wrong. Perhaps I am overreacting or being too harsh but he looks green as grass right now.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we lose and lose big

Sig courtesy of mack.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:

Its a little late to try to get your team in line. I could understand this with an interim or a newly hired coach, but it's kind of pointless with Reid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: